Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We taught our kids about all the major and some minor religions and let then decide on their own. While they thought some interesting, it was more "how can they believe that" that hey I want to go there. Both are confirmed nontheists today!

No way. When my daughter was small I explained that I didn't believe, but that was a decision she needed to make for herself. Whenever a friend wanted to include her in religious services or occasions, if she wanted to go, she did. Then when she got home we'd discuss the experience. By the time she was a teenager she was a nonbeliever.

No, I love my kids way too much to bullshit them. They had their choice, as my wife was religious, and I wasn't, and we both expressed our beliefs.

They're all grown up and moved away now, the little heathens! ?

Nope 3 out of 3 atheists...deep thinkers... One just graduating in Global politics, one starting in Sept doing a BA in phil and my girl runs a gastro pub/hotel! One very proud mummy

My children are 49 and 50 and neither they nor their partners nor their children have any religious leanings - But No in England they fit in just fine - Come over here, very godless place not many people likely to ask you .

I keep saying we are and always have been a heathen nation. They tried it on with the god stuff for few hundred years but it never really stuck! (Plus we shipped all the real loons overseas 😉 )

If the group doesn't fit me...why should I want to fin in the group?

We raised our kids in the church but stopped attending. Our 2 youngest are learning disabled. When my husband and I stopped believing we never discussed it with the kids but realized they stopped talking about Jesus. So either Jesus gave up on them or he wasn't real and whatever "relationship" they had had been facilitated and maintained by us. That's when I really knew we had been scammed

Absolutely not. I taught my daughter to think for herself and not blindly follow someone because they tell you it's what you should do. I taught her to do her own research and trust her instincts. I hear my grandson use the exclamation "Oh lord" or "Jesus" and I always find myself saying "where?" or "do you see him?" in jest. Since his other grandmother has clouded his thinking with religion, it is difficult to get him understand that Jesus was just a man that was talked about in a book and that he is not alive today. Being that she is Southern Baptist they tend to confuse the children with the whole resurrection and spirit deal. Oh and don't get me started on the concept of hell!

Absolutely not. I taught my daughter to think for herself and not blindly follow someone because they tell you it's what you should do. I taught her to do her own research and trust her instincts. I hear my grandson use the exclamation "Oh lord" or "Jesus" and I always find myself saying "where?" or "do you see him?" in jest. Since his other grandmother has clouded his thinking with religion, it is difficult to get him understand that Jesus was just a man that was talked about in a book and that he is not alive today. Being that she is Southern Baptist they tend to confuse the children with the whole resurrection and spirit deal. Oh and don't get me started on the concept of hell!

My kids have Catholic grandparents. For a short while they both wanted to be Catholic. I told them go ahead, you'll have an easier life if you can manage it. They even went to Catholic school for a couple years, where they were shown the movie "God's Not Dead" ... the difference between my attitude and that of the atheists in the movie really struck them, especially the way all their classmates ate it up. Anyway they are both atheists now.

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 18, 2018

The state school system in the UK is such that many couples have to feign religious belief in order to get their kids into a better church school. My ex`s grandchildren being an example. As I was one of the only few of the circle that had actually been baptized. It fell on me to be a godfather in this charade. The priest asked of me to renounce the devil and all his works and I acquiesced. After the ceremony I was jokingly asked if that included his music (I love playing the blues). I replied "If he comes to claim copyright".

My parents pay to send our 3 year old to a Christian preschool. He gets to socialize with other kids, and I think it is important for him to learn about religion so he understands his peers. We tell him Jesus and Santa are nice stories, but they're not real. They're just fun fairytales. He also knows that many people believe they are real, so it's not nice to spoil their fun by telling them they're not real. He's only 3, he can have that conversation when he's ready.

No.....I did not! I moved to US twenty years ago, lived among very religious people, went to church once or twice, for coffee hour not for sermon, learn about every culture and decided not to follow so my children are hard core feminist today

Absolutely not and I’m very open to sharing my views as an atheist with my young daughter if need be. I assume to just keep religion out of conversation or not use is as a crutch to get through tough times. But, when the time comes she will learn of these fairytales, and mama will have to subject her to what most would find horrible. There is no god, we are here and it is a beautiful thing that we are..but religion (all of them) is bullshit.

NO WAY ...which began with my choice of their mother.. I recently found both our kids ‘Atheist Primers,’ by Madalyn Murray O’Hair, purchased far in advance of having them, from American Atheists. They loved them! Even colored in the pages 🙂

Having planned to raise Atheist Warriors, I may actually have done better - they’re far more sophisticated than me. But it just ‘doesn't happen.’ It requires an age-appropriate honest response to every question … to the point they come to expect the same from everyone. So when it comes to religion, it had better add up...

Varn Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

Children are not born religious, they are brainwashed to believe in that stuff. So why not teach then how to think, rather than what to think. They will not always make quick friends, but they will eventually find friends who can reason and not be gullible sheep.

I raised my children to think for themselves. If they wanted religion I had no problem with it.

They all chose not to be bogged down by dogma.

Let's say the worst possible scenario happens. After this presidency, we become in the United States some sort of theocracy. I would raise them to be free thinkers, but also teach them how to act in a religious society. So no I would not raise them to be religious, but I would teach them how to act in such a surrounding.

No, and no Santa either.

NEVER! That is child abuse in the most horrific detrimental way known to mankind!~~~ Don't get me started on this subject.. but to point out.. how many of us on this site alone.. where or have been victims as children being raised like that due to parents being pressured by family/relatives, friends, etc. How sad this is, very heart breaking indeed.

No, I raise them to think for themselves. I haven't even used the word atheist to describe myself, but I emphasize science and reason over emotion. My middle child has joined a youth group, and I hope she has learned enough to decide for herself if she is a believer. I'll love her either way.

Very much like my own approach. I absolutely let go of hoping she would grow up to be an atheist. I let her go to church when she wanted to, I didn't really push atheism, although I owned up to it. I told her from an early age to observe and think and figure out what she believed. That it would be wrong for me to decide for her. Well, she went through her Mormon phase. Her high school was thick with them, so go figure. And then one day she just went, Nope, and has identified as an atheist ever since. Now she's raising kids with the same philosophy. that she has to let their brains and consciences lead them to their own truth.

Never. My motives for doing something never include 'fitting in'.

No.

Would I abuse children to fit in... nah...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.