Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My children were raised Jewish...but secular humanistic Jews...culturally Jewish...I think both my sons now 29 and 32 would say they are atheists.

My sons only 3 but I read him all the old myth stories and bed time stories even the ones from the bible so in his head as he grows older they will just be stories. I did start looking into getting books on critical thinking so as he gets older we can sit down and read those together. I don't want him to be a yes man to whatever anyone else says. I want him to always ask Why if there is no evidence as to why.

Hypothetically, if I had children, I know I could count on my relatives to supply them with King James themed bible story and activity books, so here's what I'd do.
Go to the bookstore, buy plenty of sciencey activity books and do lots of kitchen experiments together. I'll remind my children that science is heartbreakingly objective, but there are plenty of people today who have compromised their beliefs in science and religion to cater to their personal lifestyle/needs. When those bible story books come rolling in, I'll buy plenty of story books from other religions and give them to my children. This should reinforce that it is important to respect diversity and there is no one true path in life.
Yeah I'd prefer atheist babies. But I can trust that they'll come to the conclusion that's best for them.

Children are not born religious, they are brainwashed to believe in that stuff. So why not teach then how to think, rather than what to think. They will not always make quick friends, but they will eventually find friends who can reason and not be gullible sheep.

Haha
Absolutely not
Why would anyone who loves their children make such compromises just to fit in

No.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

I raised my children to think for themselves. If they wanted religion I had no problem with it.

They all chose not to be bogged down by dogma.

Absolutely not!!!!

MoniB Level 6 Dec 23, 2017

Hell NO!

Let's say the worst possible scenario happens. After this presidency, we become in the United States some sort of theocracy. I would raise them to be free thinkers, but also teach them how to act in a religious society. So no I would not raise them to be religious, but I would teach them how to act in such a surrounding.

I am already raising free thinkers even though we are surrounded by religious family and friends. I can already see how different my kids are compared to their friends being raised religiously. We cannot continue to damage our kids with religion. We are the ones to break the indoctrination process.

No way

Definitely not.

No, but I would let them make their own decisions.

No, but I would allow them to explore religion if they had peer pressure to do so. I understand that its a risk but so is forbidding it. I will have tried to give them the tools to think for themselves and try to respect their autonomy if they decide they believe. this isn't just hypothetical. I raised my child this way and she went through a brief period of conformity and belief. But her BS meter was well-developed and she grew out of that phase. So she is an atheist and is raising her children to also make their own choices about god and religion.

jmott Level 3 Dec 23, 2017

No, absolutely not. The area in which I grew up is close to the area in which I currently live, and with the same predominant religion. As a child, my parents held some vague notion of religion, and it didn't fit the predominant paradigm. I was raised without a specified faith, though many of my friends were profoundly religious, I did not need the religion to fit in. I believe this difference made my friends and I more respectful of difference, not less.

Heck no. I'll teach kids about living a free hateless world.

I've never had any children, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't bring them up to go to church just to "fit in". Doing that can teach a child bad lessons. It would encourage a child to feel that it is good to hide what they really believe, to be untrue to their own principles and beliefs. It would teach them that pretending to be something you're not is okay.

I would teach my child that it is good to question, to doubt, to ask why when someone tells them something is true, or good or bad. But I do think that children who are in their teens or almost adults have a right to make the decision for themselves whether they will join a religion or not. However, I think parents should permit themselves to make rational arguments to try and persuade a young person not to join a fundamentalist religion (e.g Evangelical Christians). But parents must let them ultimately be allowed to make their own choice.

No, and no Santa either.

NEVER! That is child abuse in the most horrific detrimental way known to mankind!~~~ Don't get me started on this subject.. but to point out.. how many of us on this site alone.. where or have been victims as children being raised like that due to parents being pressured by family/relatives, friends, etc. How sad this is, very heart breaking indeed.

NO! The special people are the ones that don't fit their little boxes of conformity, they are the ones that will change the world, that's why they have screwed our education system up so bad, it is now just to conform the population into ignorance and mass programming. Little kids like to point out anyone different than them because that is what they have been taught but the different ones are the special ones.

No, I raise them to think for themselves. I haven't even used the word atheist to describe myself, but I emphasize science and reason over emotion. My middle child has joined a youth group, and I hope she has learned enough to decide for herself if she is a believer. I'll love her either way.

Very much like my own approach. I absolutely let go of hoping she would grow up to be an atheist. I let her go to church when she wanted to, I didn't really push atheism, although I owned up to it. I told her from an early age to observe and think and figure out what she believed. That it would be wrong for me to decide for her. Well, she went through her Mormon phase. Her high school was thick with them, so go figure. And then one day she just went, Nope, and has identified as an atheist ever since. Now she's raising kids with the same philosophy. that she has to let their brains and consciences lead them to their own truth.

Never, and I didn't - they went to Catholic Schools and were always proud of their Atheism. In Canada a religious school cannot turn away anyone for their faith or lack of. But about 35% of the school was Atheist or Agnostic

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.