Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No way why would i ever damage a child in that way

Hell no! I reject all forms of child abuse and indoctrinating into something before they are old enough to understand it is one of the worst kinds.

Absofreakinglutely NO! I do educate my children about religions and their beliefs but I would never fake it to fit in. That said, my 12 year old begs me sometimes not to tell new friends (I don't generally tell anyone unless they ask). There are a lot of very religious families around and it's hard for her when making new friends, the parents place so much judgement.

Absolutely not.

No. I did not.

Absolutely not I would not do anything I feel is harmful to my kids just for social acceptance.

I have three children and they are being raised to think for themselves outside of a religious framework. They know it exists but can watch from outside the goldfish bowl. This makes them better people more able to fit in with others.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

Never made sense to me.

Absolutely not.

Never. It's being a coward and a cop-out to do anything you know is wrong just to "fit in." i have zero respect for anyone who does it. this is precisely the reason religion still exists, because people with brains are too cowardly to speak up and walk away.

would Edmund Burke's quote fit in to what you said about people with brains? or maybe the one by Albert Einstein?

All the religious people are victims themselves. They have believe all the lies that have been planted in their brain very early. now they became stupid. no matter what they can not hear or see logic. I feel sorry for them.

I don't think i could. i wouldnt Want to teach my child something that i knew hurt me so much when i realized it wasnt true.

I say same thing as you, you are a smart young man.

That's ridiculous, who cares what others think! Unless you're in a especially specific case where being atheist is dangerous (I doubt that's any of you), Then don't hide how you feel!

just like water, we just have to seek our own level.

I remember a line, one of my favorite lines from a movie, from Demi Moore's "G.I. Jane when she was told by her senior officer, "lieutenant, seek life elsewhere!"

we must be honest and do not care what others will think or say about us.

Would I lie to children?

Would I declare what I know to be fiction to be fact, knowing that I was deliberately deceiving them?

Would I introduce them to a belief system that inherently induces bigotry and contempt for people of other faiths?

Absolutely, totally NOT.

that would be just like walking on a thin line

Absolutely not!

I didn't. And they don't.

MsAl Level 8 July 16, 2019

I didn't have children. If I had children I would have steered them away from religion.

Never...I would instill in them the sense of decency and perhaps the golden rule...I think it is more important to teach them how to think critically so they can explore their own options when they get older to support how they were raised...fitting in is a horrible reason for anything...would you have them dress alike to fit in? Eat crappy food to fit in?

school uniforms - school meals - school curriculum - is all about teaching them to fit in. So please do teach your children to use critical independent thought.
and what is the golden rule?

@ShadowAmicus Golden rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you...treat others like you want to be treated...our schools do not require uniforms and kids bring or buy their own lunches...after the fundamentals, they choose courses they would like to take...critical thought is of course, the best way to teach them to make wise and decent decisions...

@thinktwice over here every school has their own uniform and most kids eat the meal provided by the school for lunch - very similar to the army training to knock out unwanted traces of individualism

@ShadowAmicus there is something to be said about being homogenous...the connection to country and ideals is stronger...look at countries like Japan...being part of society means you agree to certain aspects that might mean losing some individualism...

@thinktwice Sheep may safely graze

@thinktwice It is always an individual free thinker that brings about change - may be good or bad, but change prevents stagnation, which is always bad

@ShadowAmicus which explains why so many good progressive and good ideas came from Japan and China... 😉...

I have never tried to "fit" in.... I have struggled all my life to live "my" life... I don't really care who likes it or not... and I certainly wouldn't educate my children to live a life that wasn't their choice...

blzjz Level 7 May 7, 2019

Would I inject them with heroin just to be friends with local addicts ?....faith is child abuse and failing to teach Atheism CRITICAL THINKING = neglect

If you lived in a theocracy you may not have a choice so religion must be kept in it's place. Away from politics.

None of my children were baptized nor have ever participated in a church service. Maybe a funeral or a wedding, come to think of it. As far as i know, none of my garndchildren have been baptized either. Whatever religious beliefs they have, they cobbled together from their peer group or divine intervention. We are all fine.

Hell, no! Nobody was baptized, nobody went to Sunday School. But they always had the choice.

Absolutely out of the question.
Not only because I consider religious teaching before adulthood brainwashing. Because it would show them that the truth doesn't matter; that what they do, say or who they love, etc. is not for them to choose. It's for the tribal fanatics around them to decide.

If they want to they can choose to join a cult when they are legally old enough to drink and other self-destructive behavior.
But only after they have learned to think for themselves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.