Agnostic.com

3 0

Acceptable lies/fibs you tell your kids?

What are some acceptable lies/fibs you tell your kids? My favorite is the dad who told his young kids that the ice cream truck only plays a song when it’s out of ice cream. Genius!

Full disclosure: I don’t have kids.

anonymous 7 Feb 18

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The instinctive role on theirs and their children's part, of a parent is to protect, and nurture them to function as healthy adults as soon as and as well as possible. Culture thwarts the process in many ways; some of them damaging to the young.

Animals, our lesser developed (evolved) cousins demonstrate this better than we. Their young are protected and their instinctual survival potential is fostered and strengthened as soon as possible. Only the strongest can escape predators.

We, as the most advanced species, gestate our young for about nine months in the womb and for at least another 10/11 months outside it. Our young, similar to marsupials, have a long period of external gestation and the burden of protection and bonding is much greater. When our young are finally afoot and absorbing language it is the beginning of teaching them how to safely integrate with the familial/social environment by protecting their fragile, developing perceptual faculties instead of confusing them with a lot of fantasy masquerading, temporarily, substituting for fact.

Because of a longer state of helplessness, trust in guidance from parents and elder siblings is critical support for sharpening senses and understanding of the environment. To toy with those developing faculties and even take delight in how cute they are when being misinformed is to betray fundamental responsibility as a parent. A child must know as soon as possible how to sort out what is from what is not, for safety and for intellectual development.

Telling or reading them fairy tales is enriching as long as it is made clear that the tales are only pretend. Pretending is healthy and supports development but must do so as fully understood to be completely different from what is real.

I think, however cute it might seem, that purposely representing known fantasy as something real undermines and confuses both their vital trust in what parents teach them and their ability to grow with optimal ability to discern what is from what isn't.

Religion and the cultures it establishes are antithetical to strong independent child development. It endorses lying to children, delaying their development and causing damage that increases with each generation.

My son wanted to know what happened if he didn't do what I told him. My response was to tell him to ask his five brothers. He looked puzzled and said, "I don't have any brothers."
Me: I know, they didn't do what I told them.

I have always been open about being a terrible person. I have tons of stories.

Well, it's grandkids now ! 🙂 but not too much ..
I like to keep the trust they have in me...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25892
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.