Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe in a historical context. They should also teach Islam and Judaism with the intent of decreasing islamophobia and antisemitism

No it should not.school is for learning not worshipping

So long as Mormons, Satanic Temple, and FSM get equal time.

Yeah, in history class. Important to learn the lessons from the mistakes of our past.

Hell no!, and when any of us discover religion being taught, shared, etc at a school or other public domain, please report it to a group such as Freedom From Religion Foundation, and subscribe to their newsletter to get the results of reporting those who defy the rule of separation of church and state.

As religions of the world YES. As an individual religious belief NO. Many do not get it that public schools are forbidden to teach religion. In some areas it is being done "after hours" on school property with full approval of the public school system district. This is illegal. By all means sue them to get rid of this and get religion out of your public school and only teach it in your Sunday School.
In my area a FB friend posted that it was "National Bring Your Bible to School Day." She is wrong. There is no such day in public schools. As a theist she is hoping it to be so and most likely cannot wait until creationism is taught in class rooms. They just keep making it up and do not get it that this sort of thing is for their private religious school or Sunday School. Be advised that Betsy DeVos is one who would like to turn this all around. This is why her and Mike Pence hold the office that they do today.

Religion no, religions yes, particularly comparative studies. Ignorance is dangerous

Certainly the philosophy of religion can be taught but not the facts of religion ie creation by a higher being, Christian idea's of creation and the death of a man to forgive us all our "sins" whatever that is.
It should be about all religions and their beliefs and possibly showing how wrong they are.

The teachings of multiple religions yes. The teaching of one religion no.

Only in the context of a history lesson.

All schools should be secular institutions. The religious should be kept at arms length from all children. They indoctrinate their minds and in certain cases have violated their innocent bodies. Schools should be places of learning and enlightenment not brain- washing centres for religious zealots. World religions should be taught as a subject to be looked at and analysed objectively as any other subject would. Parents of course pass on their beliefs to their children and we can’t do much about that, but at least at school children would be able see it from a more balanced point of view. To quote Richard Dawkins.....There are no such things as Christian or Muslim children, only children.

I know some members disagreed with me me but I also think atheism and agnosticism should also be taught in high schools along with world religions, Greek myths, and ancient Egyptian.
You know what's interesting but different subject? I taught High School Science and Math for 20 years and occasionally taught Biology. I have a brother -in-law that did the same thing and he doesn't believe in evolution. We teach evolution for a month out of each year as part of the curriculum. I have met numerous Biology teachers that teach evolution and don't believe in it. I am sorry, but I cannot find a way to believe in the Bible, Christianity, or any religion and believe in evolution at the same time.
You know, a few decades ago in Rome, Ga. the Board of Education has a sticker placed in all Biology textbooks stating that evolution is only a theory. However, a judge later had them removed. Similar actions have probably happened in other parts of the country.
Anybody know of any??

That's why I could never be a teacher in a public school system. Teachers in the US are totally hamstrung by the fear of offending. They are rigidly held to the accepted doctrine, most of which is compiled in Texas, the buckle on the "Bible Belt". The very nature of our educational system makes being a real "teacher" impossible. Imagine Socraties or Aristotle teaching in public schools! Also, I always wondered why Religion which is older than Christianity is called Mythology. I can't imagine anything more"mythical" than the Bible.

Perhaps the curriculi include the teaching of humans' tendencies to become addicted to drugs, brands, junk foods, sports and religions.

Sure, as a subject but not as a form of indoctrination.

Roger Level 2 May 31, 2018

Very common post - YES as a cultural and political phenomenon as it is a part of some very ugly history.. Now if you are talking about 'Bible Study' - absolutely NOT!

Do you mean a History of Religions around the World -or- a this is what Jesus thinks of your sins class?

I think some places on this planet could get away with the first one. But in my rural Arkansas high school, if it's not about Jesus, it's blasphemy and will not be tolerated. The one Jewish kid in class was tormented. I hate to think about someone teaching about Hindu or the Muslim faith. Even the different Christian based religious would cause a fight. Just last week, a friend tried to argue that Baptists weren't real Christians. ?

Well, but Baptists AREN'T real Christians!! ?

No.

Social studies should include relgions as a subject of investigation. Some people hold the strange believe that one has to know the Talmud in order to criticize Judaism or the bible to understand Christianity or the Qoran to have an opinion about Islam. The same people are ready to dismiss the 33000000 Hindu deities without even knowing their names.
The godchecker.com could be a good tool to deal with religion as a phenomenon.

Should crystal meth, heroin and cocaine be past around in social studies class and all the students given free samples? No hard drugs in class and that includes the opiate of the people.

Understanding religion is different then using religion. It helps you understand people, their cultures and helps improve the relationships you can have with them. We live in the world and everyone is different.

I think all religions should be taught in schools. Religion influences so many cultures and if we are going to know each other and understand each other we need to understand how religion works in their culture

What about sport? Sport is very important in many cultures ...

@PontifexMarximus sports are widely available in schools

@Tinyhouset I know ... Unfortunately many sports show similarities with religions.

I believe educating kids about all religions would be wonderful. But only if you can control the environment in which they are in. I feel that there will be many areas and teachers that will now have license to teach, indoctrinate kids into Christianity and not teach but denigrate other religions.

jab60 Level 6 May 13, 2018

Separation of church and state is a core value of the First Amendment.

Sure. In a religious school.

RichE Level 5 May 6, 2018

Yes, religion need to be taught in school and everywhere for what it actually are, not as a believer of how good it is, which is a lie.

Yes, just like teaching world languages and geography. Religious stats, figures, objective history.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.