Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If religion must be taught in schools, teach it in a reading class along with the other fairytales.

Yes religions should be thought in school. But not the sanitized versions. Children should know that the Bible condones slavery and condemns homosexuality, that it declares Jews a chosen people, that it condemns unbelievers to hell.
They should know that Islam is cruel to women.
They should know that both Islam and Christianity expect a violent catastrophic end to this world and judgement and hell for the vast majority of humanity.
They should know that racism and the holocaust were inspired by religion.
They should know that Catholics hated Luther and Luther hated the Jews.
They should know that Catholics hated science and suppressed it for centuries, (The Dark Ages)
They should know that Religion generally stood opposed to Democracy and the enlightenment.
They should know that the Church in Europe promoted the divine right of kings. (Romans 13)

I think theology can be offered as a separate class that students may choose. I also believe that religion and its effects on human/societal development should be taught in history, sociology and psychology classes.

I absolutely 100% agree. I took theology in school, and I was raised by an atheist father and a non-religious mother who encouraged me to take that class, it was neither pro-religion nor anti-religion. All it did was talk about the religions of the world, it's a class I would recommend all kids take.

It's appropriate to teach religion in the context of history. The history of the European middle ages is largely the history of the Catholic church. Islamic history has shaped the Middle East. Confucianism influenced the development of Chinese culture. If you go back to ancient history, like the Babylonians or Egyptians, there was no separation between religion and state.
I suppose that was a little off topic in regards to the original question. If you can teach mythology, you can teach about "religion." Exposure to many philosophies helps an individual form her own ideas, and not be as easily brainwashed.

Yes, in an all or nothing sort of way. Either all religions get some time in the light or they are just glossed over in sociology with the blanket statement that some folks believe in different stuff.

NO!! "Religion" should be taught in churches, temples and mosques.
But creationism tethered with Darwinism should be. This gives the student an opportunity to think independently and be given the current options to make up their own minds. And isn't that what school should be about?

Religion should be taught in parochial schools. That is what they are for. Making children aware of the many different religions as a part of history classes. Would be alright in public schools as long as the many different superstitions were all presented in the same light. How could one teach about the crusades without pointing out the differences between christians and muslims. Or teach about the second world war without pointing out the atrocities inflicted on people of the jewish faith.

I was educated in a christian school and never heard about any other religion. Nowadays in the NL schools, the public schools as well as the religious schools have the obligation to teach the children the essences of all major religions and non-religious convictions and ideologies, just as they are taught about sex, how it works and the several differences and preferences. The NL is quite secular and the problem of teenage pregnancies is quite small, and also the abortion-rate is very low.

Gert Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

IF religion is being taught in school as history, as mythology, as literature, or as comparative religion for sociological learning, then yes.
Religion ought not to be taught as a FACT in a public school, where the attendees are forced to listen, no matter what religious tradition, if any, their family adheres to.

Religion is free to teach its tennets in its churches, temples and its own schools.

As literature and myth.

I don't think any one(cough cough christanity) should ever be tought it should be all of them amd the athiest/agnostic point of view as well- were not a religion but we are a lack of them and that needs to be stated to

I took it in school, the class was called theology, and it wasn't pro-religion or anti-religion. It just explained what the world religion.

In a historical, or cultural context? Yes. In a religious context? Never. Everyone should be taught the history, and culture of every major religion. That would foster much more understanding, and common ground, even if you don't believe.

Either all or none should be taught, not just one view.

No they don't understand I knoe cause I was home schooled and didnt understand

Many of you, if not most of you, agree that various religions should be taught, but I am on the other end of the spectrum. Just the thought of being taught any religion makes me want to vomit, faint, have a coniption fit, run, escape, and throw up again. I don't want to hear any of it !

Religion should only taught as history not beliefs.

I believe "Religions", in the plural, should be taught, precisely for the reason RonnieD stated. And because understanding the core tenants of various religions can help us understand people of faith and their motivations. And what better way to expose children to the difference between rational thought and critical examination of the subject and blind faith in illogical myths.

As long as it isn't communism then its fine.

Of course from a sociological objective perspective.

Of course! As long as all major religions are....

Norie Level 5 Jan 28, 2018

I think religion should be taught in a historical context only. It is not the place of the public school system to teach children something that should be kept in the home. If parents wish their children to learn about a particular faith, they should bare that burden either in the home or religious facility. I am on board with all inclusive lessons for students that show them the differences and similarities between different religions but these should be based on knowledge and not faith.

In social studies or history classes? Absolutely.

As core curriculum? Nope.

Mirth Level 4 Jan 27, 2018

Only as it relates to historical events. Many different cultures have formed around religions and for that reason should not be ignored. It is hard to explain why some things occurred with out references to the religious factors and their social context. However, stick to the facts, good or bad and don't favor any one religion over another.

Yes as literature. It is fascinating how it developed and how society ran sometimes in parallel and sometimes well away from it's lessons. How Islam dropped into the tank in the 11th century as before it was a light in the world of science.

Yes. And why is that? Was it the rise of religion?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.