Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only as it would be in college: study many religions and discuss their cultures--humanities!

Either secularism or pluralism, pick one!

If religion is taught, it should be more of a broad overview of major ones, with some discussion of non-religious philosophy included. This is what Humanists UK has been pushing for.

I am not sure by "taught" in schools but I believe that creationism and biblical inerrancy should be actively destroyed in our public schools. The flaws of creationism should be discussed and the propaganda of "creation-scientists" should be in display for all children to see. In world history classes, the flaws of the Bible should be discussed and the ridiculous explanations of apologists should be on display for all students to see! Even before students take courses in biology, chemistry, and physics, they should be required to take a freshman course in critical thinking, scientific skepticism, and critical history.

Only if it is all religions! NOT christianity alone!

From a historical, mythological, etc., view and if one is taught about multiple religions then yes.

No! Having been a teacher in a conservative area of the country in the past, I've seen religion creep in to so many aspects of the public school system and, despite vocal and non-vocal protests on my part, it continues. I was asked, at one point in my career, why I told my students that I didn't believe in god. I told the district HR director, "Because they asked me". Enough said.

yes, teach all ABOUT various religions around the world, but don't teach it as absolute truth, just how it affects society and our way of life. Do not indoctrinate kids.

I think comparative religion and religion in historical context are viable subject matter. The difficulty comes when the teacher is unable to teach in an objective, unbiased manner. Being uneducated about religion and how it impacts the world we live in is detrimental. Our language, law and history are all heavily laced with religious nuance and if you don’t know about religion, it makes it harder to navigate all that from a place of strength in knowledge. Learning about things you disagree with isn’t the problem. Separation of church and state means the government can’t force religious belief or tout one religion as the right one. Teaching comparative religion isn’t a violation of religious freedom, it is an important topic for critical thinking and world knowledge.

I think ALL religion should be taught in schools, objectively and as a sub course of mythology.

only in private schools; the United States Constitution prohibits the state establishing one religion over any other. For any state to do so would be actionable and those doing so would be liable for criminal and probably civil liability. They could face jail and civil suits. How many Christians do you know who would sue a school for teaching their kids Islamic values? Hindu? This country was founded upon the prospect of religious freed---but that was the religion of the founders, make no mistake; not the freedom of any other religion. Ask the Native Americans, The Mormons, or any other group of non Christians in this great country. Think of how they treat Catholics. Roger Williams had to leave Mass. and found his own colony or Rhode Island because he was catholic. So the answer to this question is not only "NO", but that it would be illegal to do so. However it is legal to teach a class on comparative religion; where you look at several religions and how they came about and their dogma. As long as one is not established as preferred or correct.

I think so only if people are also taught agnostic and atheist beliefs as well. They should be taught everything and be allowed for themselves to chose what they feel they should believe in.

They should be already teaching "atheist" things: science, truth.

Absolutely not. Plain and simple.

Only to the degree that is needed to understand some of the context of teaching history. Or perhaps to givw students a level of exposure to all the religions of the world.

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

no never it poisons children minds also if god??exists he had better have a good excuse

As a general subject of comparison.

Only as historical or as social studies,Teach courses in all religions, or in none.
Seperation of church and state.

separation lol

Religion could be included in history classes, since religion has significantly shaped world history for millennia. Religious texts could also be discussed in a literature class. Religion has no right to be included in science classes. Religious doctrine should never be taught in schools.

Sometimes that feels like the most difficult question in the world answer. OK, yes but what religions? And should we also include the danger of religious extremism? Should we warn our children that it is important to be open minded but at the same time it is Important also to be critical of other peoples opinions and views on the world particularly pertaining to religion and politics?

gabe Level 2 Dec 25, 2017

No. Schools have agendas and I don't trust them not to indoctrinate. Religions should be researched and studied but not in a public school setting.

Yes, as a part of history, sociology, psychology, etc.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

... or in prison.

No. They are useless. Instead the class can be "Tolerance", "Logic", or "Not being an ass"

NO. Definitely not. Brainwashing is a no no.

Why are churches tax free? So that members can worship there in peace and security. Church is where religion belongs. Not in politics, education or economic institutions. Religious fervor will be the end of Democracy if it is not kept in it's place.

No - absolutely not. You don not teach all the mental disorders to kids so why religion?
Most secular countries, there is no religion taught in school. Parents are free to teach the children whatever they want out of school. If you teach it in school, you can upset parents and have to deal with how you said something or why you are putting Christians in the same level as Rastafarians.

Religion is brain washing & should not be permitted in schools. That is a terrible thing to do to a young mind. In your own home & family, it is none of my business.

I certainly would not want my child being taught about religion in the public schools, except as a brief survey of what's out there in the world. I'd worry whether it was being taught with an equal emphasis on a variety of religions without any attempt to indoctrinate. Young children, especially, often take their teachers' opinions as fact and that's just too risky if you get the wrong teacher.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.