Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

of course--you just should not be sending your kids there 🙂

I think ALL religion should be taught in schools, objectively and as a sub course of mythology.

only in private schools; the United States Constitution prohibits the state establishing one religion over any other. For any state to do so would be actionable and those doing so would be liable for criminal and probably civil liability. They could face jail and civil suits. How many Christians do you know who would sue a school for teaching their kids Islamic values? Hindu? This country was founded upon the prospect of religious freed---but that was the religion of the founders, make no mistake; not the freedom of any other religion. Ask the Native Americans, The Mormons, or any other group of non Christians in this great country. Think of how they treat Catholics. Roger Williams had to leave Mass. and found his own colony or Rhode Island because he was catholic. So the answer to this question is not only "NO", but that it would be illegal to do so. However it is legal to teach a class on comparative religion; where you look at several religions and how they came about and their dogma. As long as one is not established as preferred or correct.

I think so only if people are also taught agnostic and atheist beliefs as well. They should be taught everything and be allowed for themselves to chose what they feel they should believe in.

They should be already teaching "atheist" things: science, truth.

I think it should be taught in secular sociological fashion. It is a fact that children will encounter several religions during their life times. Specific theologies should never be taught and would be impossible anyway. To get a clear picture of any belief it has to be explained by actual believers and so would be impossible to teach any of them accurately in a public secular atmosphere.

Absolutely not. Plain and simple.

Absolutely not. Plain and simple.

Its the way that we teach it which should be debated. It is obviously part of our culture (as a species) and we should look at beliefs but also try answer the question why people believe what they do. This might help to bring non belief in to the majority

I don't think religion should be taught in a science class as a way to explain how the natural world works. I do think it has it's place in social studies classes when touching on different cultures around the world. But no single religion should be focused on as the "right one".

I don't think religion should be taught in a science class as a way to explain how the natural world works. I do think it has it's place in social studies classes when touching on different cultures around the world. But no single religion should be focused on as the "right one".

Only to the degree that is needed to understand some of the context of teaching history. Or perhaps to givw students a level of exposure to all the religions of the world.

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

Teach don't preach

Nope.

Oh hell no! I survived Catholic School indoctrination and would never wish that on any child. Religion is brainwashing, plain and simple. I believe in parents rights, but to force religion in school children is absurd. Who's religion? The dominant one, the most useful one for authority, or a hodge podge of superstitious nonsense?

no never it poisons children minds also if god??exists he had better have a good excuse

Oh, hell no.

As a general subject of comparison.

Only as historical or as social studies,Teach courses in all religions, or in none.
Seperation of church and state.

separation lol

Yes, all.of them.

No if they do they should have their own place to practice their religion to each their own

depends which religion? seriously I don't believe schools are the right forum for this. religious teaching is a family thing. they have appropriate venues their called churches

johns Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

I believe in the separation of church and state. I don't know about schools today; when I was in K-12 grades, what I learned then (with the exception of reading, writing and arithmetic) was seldom applicable after I graduated. More emphasis on life skills would have been more helpful, such as how to apply for a job, for a rental application, the value of getting and sustaining a good credit rating, etc. Also, as a professional mediator, I believe it would have been helpful to have discussions on the nature and value of conflict. If all world leaders were also trained as mediators, there would never be a world war.

Religion could be included in history classes, since religion has significantly shaped world history for millennia. Religious texts could also be discussed in a literature class. Religion has no right to be included in science classes. Religious doctrine should never be taught in schools.

Sometimes that feels like the most difficult question in the world answer. OK, yes but what religions? And should we also include the danger of religious extremism? Should we warn our children that it is important to be open minded but at the same time it is Important also to be critical of other peoples opinions and views on the world particularly pertaining to religion and politics?

gabe Level 2 Dec 25, 2017

More science and less fantasy of heaven or hell in our schools!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.