Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. Mythology should not be taught in school.

Absolutely...the same day I hear a science lecture in church.

burn, haha.

As a part of a geography or philosophy or mythology lesson, and then make sure you cover all the major ones as well as defunct ones and indigenous ones. Include the "nones" in the discussion.

jmott Level 3 Dec 17, 2017

No it undermines the pursuit of knowledge.

If one religion is taught, then as many as possible should be taught. I would love to know more about the mayan, incan, and other new world religions, not to mention the asian religious beliefs

In a philosophy class YES it is part of human philosophical history and the driver of many philosophical points of view( (Example: Lucretius 54BCE..."Tantum Religio Potuit suadre malorum"..."So powerful is religion that it tempts us to evil" )

As some form of fact, truth, science or alternative to reason......ABSOLUTELY NOT!,

Yes! It should all be taught. Every Religion should be taught as in the field of the Humanities, yet it s should not be taught as accurate or fact and the fact of the writings should be separated from the made up parts as some History can be accurate in ways yet it does not mean the entire text is accurate so as we teach in any ancient documents we do not say that Mithra's was accurate because people of the day might of thought this....god like figure was real, yet many documents at that time have relevant history that can help us understand the culture, times and living environments.

no religion in specific but the concepts, world image of all religions should be shown to children then at least they may have a better understanding about how this world works

Depends. The history and politics of religion, certainly. But the Bible, et. al.

Only if the teach all religions

I studied religions in 10th grade English class and thought it was a good introduction to it but they didn’t teach me about the history of the religions. No adult taught me about the genocides done in the name of different religions.
If I had been taught all the killing it is still doing today I would have been atheist younger.

All diverse faiths should be taught to give children the understanding of what religion means.

I live near Swainsboro, GA, which runs public schools where, just a few years ago, a teacher tried to ostracize a 2nd grader for refusing to participate in her daily Christian prayer. When the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FRFF) sued, the district settled by paying FFRF’s attorney fees and agreeing not to permit any more teacher-led prayer (a constitutional line drawn long ago).

I just attended a wedding nearby, where a woman about my age disclosed that she used to be a Beatles fan but stopped listening to them “after they claimed that they were better than Jesus.”

Put another way, I live deep in the Bible Belt and therefore crave people who think analytically, incisively, and critically.

If only my neighbors knew about my (pen-named) pro-atheist novels on Amazon.

Anyway, the BEST way to teach about religion (and teaching about the fact that it exists is fine) is to first educate about the mind’s "emotional circuit."

You know. That part of the mind that welcomes the sort of magical thinking that vigs up tribalism (us and them-ism), as manifested in the act of rooting for sports teams, joining clubs, and creating "them" verus "us."

Religion simply primes that emotional circuit, narrowing one's focus so that all "non-believers" get "left behind," while "we" feel special getting to heaven ahead of those. The "we” note is repeatedly tapped, and young minds are molded by it, because that’s the core emotional dynamic driving tribalism and fantasism, of which religion is a subset.

Once this simple explanation sinks in, schools should then teach the history of religion, showing how many thousands were created over time, and how Christianity, for example, plagiarized many a predecessor.

By that point at least SOME of the students will figure out that religion was started when the first con man met his first victim, then spend the rest of his/her life laughing at the bullfuckery daily spouted by Reverend Billy Bob while he accepts 10% his suckers' paychecks.

Yes but all religions should be taught in a religion/culture class as mythology of the time and region.

Yes, but as a block course, with multiple world religions. And only postulate as theories or something...

i think it should be talked about but not taught

People know when they go to a magic show that they are being fooled. Most people like magic for entertainment purposes they don't believe magic is real. I think you get my point. Religion is a cult belief in magic based on Stockholm syndrome.
At this point in human development just like flat earth we have not reached the intelligence that other life on other planets may have achieved. When we find out how a particles can travel faster than the speed of light we can produce a big bang in another multiverse's thus becoming a God to that evolving universe. In essence man is God.

Yes the history of religion is a valid subject. The history of why societies needed a belief system that cannot be proven for comfort.

It can be taught to demonstrate where it's caused war and changed the course of history.

Children should not be taught religion. They should be taught ABOUT religions.

Religious knowledge should be as long as it includes lessons about secular humanist philosophy and its ethics.

As part of world culture and history. Stress how bad it is for humankind.

As part of a comparative religion/mythology class? Sure.

As a substitute for science or "teaching the controversy"? Never.

No way. I'm an x-cath. priest. No way. Religion in schools is a very bad idea. Unless it's taught as a "religions of the world" or survey type of course, it will end badly.

Randy Level 2 Nov 29, 2017

Religion has no place in schools.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.