Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No - absolutely not. You don not teach all the mental disorders to kids so why religion?
Most secular countries, there is no religion taught in school. Parents are free to teach the children whatever they want out of school. If you teach it in school, you can upset parents and have to deal with how you said something or why you are putting Christians in the same level as Rastafarians.

Yes. After the age of 12. It should be classes about all of the religions of the world from the ancient past forward. It should talk about all the religious books, all the teachings, all the virgin birth stories, and it should cover non religion too, it's history.

Religion is brain washing & should not be permitted in schools. That is a terrible thing to do to a young mind. In your own home & family, it is none of my business.

I certainly would not want my child being taught about religion in the public schools, except as a brief survey of what's out there in the world. I'd worry whether it was being taught with an equal emphasis on a variety of religions without any attempt to indoctrinate. Young children, especially, often take their teachers' opinions as fact and that's just too risky if you get the wrong teacher.

Gawd no...separation of church and state.

Of course things about religion ,history should be taught in schools. I even went to a Christian School one year when I was in 6th grade. And people have a right to send their children to religious schools if they want them to learn religion. I think when we become an advanced Society there won't be any religions. At least not Ones based on myths.

No way. That is something that should be left at home for the parents

All religions should be taught as part of cultural awareness and social sciences. Compare and contrast all religions, this is stuff all people should know.

Absolutely not.

Only in private religious schools. Public schools should keep to teaching facts. Religion in schools is for those who pay and pray.

Only if it's the teaching of my lord and master the Flying Spaghetti Monster1. All hail marinara!

I will acknowledge up front that I'm probably just repeating something that has already been said since there are 439 comments here before me. BUT... Not in primary schools but, at the University level, yes. And all religions. Even the Pastafarian and Spaghetti Monster versions. They can also include Atheism and Agnosticism. This would actually help people to understand that we aren't really Satan worshipers. We aren't worshipers at all. Well, I'm not anyway. I can't speak for everyone. Atheism and Agnosticism are not cults or organized religions. There are no rules of which I am aware at this time.

Duke Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

Religions. Religion is a social science. It cannot and does not stand apart from culture. And Alexander Pope did say : ...seek not God to scan/ The proper study of Mankind is Man."
Of course its about Humanity.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

Is the school parochial?

Religion as historical reference. I would be very concerned about allowing religion to be taught in schools without A LOT of supervision from a non-religious supervisor. I live in Alabama and there's already more religion than should be taught here. The separation of church and state here is razor thin.

No, I believe public schools need to stick to educating children on reading, writing and arithmetic. So many of them lack these skills already that throwing religion in there would just intercept their minds from retaining what they NEED to learn. If you want religion taught to your children during school hours send them to private schools. If you can't afford it send them to church. ????

No religion should not be taught in schools. If people want to talk to their kids and introduce them to religion then that is their choice, but religion shouldn't be forced upon anyone let alone young and impressionable kids. Religion and education should be two separate things and it shouldn't play any part in getting into schools or their studies.

No. Mythology should not be taught in school.

I didn't get brainwashed in school, thankfully so I don't agree with teaching or brainwashing kids in school, let their parents do that evil deed and since most kids do the opposite of what their parents want them to do, that should help rid the planet of religion (haha wishful thinking)

Without it history classes would make almost no sense.

I agree. Wether we like it or not religion in it's many forms has to be taught . Especially the evils and abominations, human suffering and ignorant refusal to adhere to any other possibility. Ancient humans had an excuse , what does modern educated man use as an excuse.

Absolutely...the same day I hear a science lecture in church.

burn, haha.

It could be but to make mandatory is wrong if the child wants to go then and only then it would be ok.this is about religion being tough in school

It could be but to make mandatory is wrong if the child wants to go then and only then it would be ok

Taught? Sure, as a social studies class. Preached? Hell no!

No.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.