Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It should only be taught as part of a comparative religion class.

Only if it's being taught as all other mythologies are taught and ONLY as an elective in public schools (unless it's a course of study in college)

Absolutely Not.

Teaching about religion and religious training are two very different things. No, to training/indoctrination. A very loud YES to comparative and interdisciplinary teaching to understand how religion influences us. For example, I remember learning in science class about how prevailing religious perspectives shaped science, and holy shit...do you know how many HUGE scientific discoveries were made by monks?? Lol

NO! Thats what church is for.

Comparative Religion is a great course and available in some colleges with an enlightened Philosophy department and taught with no favoritism in presenting. History of Religion. And courses that feature readings by Joseph Campell are great. Not likely coming to any k12 in America anytime soon.

Not unless they teach ALL of the main religions, since this is a secular country.

we live in a society..between people believing in many things that was taught to them by their elders and was always told to not cross question them cos its disrespecting, (or maybe they didnt have answers to our questions).....schools play an important role in a kids life to learn many things....should religion be taught in schools? : i say teach to question them..

World religions, I think, should be taught dispassionately in history and/or sociology classes, and I think it should go deep, and I think various philosophies that had a demonstrable impact on society should be covered in depth. When children at relatively young ages learn that the doctrines of their parents have competition, they are less likely to consider any single superstition to be superior to another.

Maybe history and philosophy of religions.

Only as an elective, and an overview of all major religions should be covered. I personally would be interested in the history and philosophy of religions.

As long as religion is taught as an alternative philosophical dogma, showing various different religions teachings with discussion time it can be ok. Religion is part of our lives if we like it or not. It motivates people all around us in various ways. It's better to know about it and show all the reasons why people believe them and what the faiths are based on. It should be taught as if god(s) are really existing but what religion is and what it is for and why people believe in them.

As long as it's not taught as fact. I've taken a few mythology classes in school that were fascinating; but public school isn't a place to teach religion as if it were equally valid as science. If the religious want it in schools, they can go to a private school.

A comparative religion class could be quite helpful. Once a person sees the irony in my god's better than your god, the better off they are. However, if you're talking about religion that is taught as "this is the way" then, no, of course not.

No. And these "bible classes" that are being taught as an "elective" should cease. The high school in my neighborhood offers such a class and I have asked some of the students what they learn in those classes. The classes are supposed to be about bible history, the countries names back then, etc. but they aren't - at least not in my area's high school. The teacher is actually a minister to a church on Sunday's. And he teaches (according to student's reports) that homids never actually walked on two legs, and that everything walked on 4 feet - until God created Adam and Eve. The teacher taught that evolution is not true at all and that creation is the only true thing to believe. This kind of teaching should not be permitted in public schools. I suppose my state passed some dumb state law that this bible history could be taught - but it is a bad mistake.

Only in a comparative religions course. Definitely not in Science class, unless it was to teach critical thinking by looking at their claims logically and skeptically.

It should be taught what religion is: a vicious infectious mental disease.

The only way is to educate and compare them. Otherwise, no. Just as politics is taught to educate about government, not to convert the young minds but to see many sides of it all.

Yes: as comparative study of the world's religions from an historic perspective and without bias as to a rightness of one belief.

LoriS Level 3 Oct 23, 2017

A college comparative religions class helped me when I first started questioning. A class on the Bible would be dynamite if it could be taught by a non-believer.

How long was a creative day?
Where did the light come from on day one when the sun wasn’t created till day four?
What is the firmament?
How did plants live without the sun?
If the stars are 13.82 billion years old why does the Bible say they were created on the same day as the moon which is about 4.5 billion years old? Is science wrong?
Why are there two different Genesis accounts?
Alas, that will never happen in a Bible class as religion classes are taught by believers with the hard questions left out.
So NO.

gearl Level 8 Oct 22, 2017

No, religion shouldn't be taught in school. Unless you intend to teach every religion on the face of the planet. Religion, if it is taught, should be left to parents not the schools.

No it causes hate for a start and is a form of mind control, we need free thinkers not those who think there is a man i the sky watching over us.....

No. Religion is divisive and someone is ways lacking. It teaches myths and lies. It can be taught as a social science when surveys of other religions are done.

Venka Level 2 Oct 22, 2017

No. Schools should teach students to question everything.

Including religions. However, unless you teach about those religions they can't learn to question them. Where it becomes an issue is when you have teachers who only teach about a single religion and teach it as fact.

Yes, in college.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.