Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely religion should be taught in schools, not as an indoctrination, but as a way of teaching kids to think critically and avoid magical thought.

Children should not be taught religion. They should be taught ABOUT religions.

Fuck no! Seperation between church and state much?

Religious knowledge should be as long as it includes lessons about secular humanist philosophy and its ethics.

As part of world culture and history. Stress how bad it is for humankind.

Yes all religions . We can under stand and be aware of other peoples beliefs . Its a big universe and i think it's obserd to think of a god that watches over and judges our lives . Being brought up Christain i do believe in Christs philosophies and the spirituality of Budists .

As part of a comparative religion/mythology class? Sure.

As a substitute for science or "teaching the controversy"? Never.

just like gym

yes all if not most.

I think kids need to be aware of other's beliefs and the history behind them. They need to learn to accept other ideas and question their own.

Absolutely not!

Yes. Teach all of them to hopefully reduce hate and violent tendencies towards rival theorist.

Sure. But maybe the top 10, all taught equally. Also explained in the learning should be the Agnostic atheist viewpoint.

No way. I'm an x-cath. priest. No way. Religion in schools is a very bad idea. Unless it's taught as a "religions of the world" or survey type of course, it will end badly.

Randy Level 2 Nov 29, 2017

"Should it?" isn't really the important question here. Yes, I think it should, but ALL religions should be taught. By someone with no bias towards or against a specific one. There are ALOT of religions out there, And I think being knowledgeable about them is important. If someone changes their beliefs, then whatever. If someone decides to go Agnostic because there's just TOO MANY of them? It's whatever. Teach ALL of the religions, or at least introduce them all. It'll at least broaden their horizons.

Strictly on an intellectual basis. Otherwise it belongs in church.

godef Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

Yes, except ALL religions should be taught in schools. Not just Judeo-Christian ideas. There should be a a half-hour a day where the schools teach about all the worlds religions and philosophies. Not all in on day obviously but, have a structured way of teaching about eastern philosophy( Buddhism (read from the Pali canon) Hinduism( teach about all the gods in that religion) Christianity, Islam, Judaism.. you get the point.

Religion has no place in schools.

Teaching religion is different that teaching about religion.The one is neither wise nor currently permissible, the other an essential tool for understanding human society.

In high school I took religious studies, and actually quite enjoyed parts of the subject, it was a good way of learning to look at differing points of view without bias.

Unless we are destined to repeat the past, I would definitely say no. If parents truly believe and want to subject their children to this nonsense include it in History class and tell the truth! The religious wars, crusades, the terrorism that is attached to religion currently. A class on how not to live with religion suits me.

Hell no. It has no place in schools unless you want to talk about the history, their origins & how they have always killed each other.

Depends on what kind of school of course, but public schools should not dispense religious training. Surely universities should have courses in religious history, philosophy, etc., and I can't think of any reason why religious schools shouldn't teach religion.

skado Level 9 Nov 26, 2017

Absolutely not separation of church and state also there must be as many different types of opinions as there are teachers children should be giving an overview of the various religions and lack thereof at home and let them choose themselves

Tovie Level 2 Nov 25, 2017

I think schools should teach about all the hate and injustice religion has caused, and about how many deaths can be directly linked to religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.