Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. It predisposes children to someone else's point of view. If the children express an interest I would certainly allow them to go to church or whatever and encourage them to make up their own minds as they get old enough to make such choices.

The Bible should be in the "Fiction" section of every school library.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 26, 2019

Yes, religion influences the decisions of ~90% of the people in this world, so it should be taught.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 26, 2019

Yes. Especially the genocide and child sex slaves parts.

"Love and massmurder, children. Let us pray."

Religion can be taught at church. I don't think there is a lot of time during school time to waste on religion. A specialty unit for university level perhaps, along with myths and legends.

They should be taught as Myths, the same way the Greek and Egyptian religions are.

That might get the religous nuts stirred up.

Of course not!

Yes, if all the religions of mankind were stacked on a few shelves in school libraries with large clear printed signs above each shelf displaying the following words, The Myths of Mankind.

Yes! Long, long ago, when I was in school in a small rural town in northeast Washington state, a school levy failed any the school board allowed community members to teach classes. Some were good, some not. I was lucky and fell into a comparative religions class taught by a scholarly local Christian minister. She (yes, a female minister in the 1970s) did a wonderful job of acquainting us with the basics of the Abrahamic religions and a smattering of the eastern religions. Fourty years later I count that class as one of my most memorable and eye-opening school experiences.

CeeFi Level 3 Jan 13, 2019

Comparative religion should be taught in a short compulsory course. It’s not necessary to go into the depths but a survey of the world’s major and minor religions and their distinguishing features would help people, I think.

NO!

Hell, no! It would be unconstitutional (at least in the USA).

No. No publicly funded institution should support any religious crap.

Not as pure fact. Generally speaking I don’t see harm since it’s played such a large role in society up to this point

The large role played by religion in the world is harmless Jacob ???, try learning about the Catholic atrocities over the centuries, and still they are debauching our children ! death for witchcraft, burning at the stake, the Muslims barbaric treatment of women, the crusades, and the millions of humans that have been destroyed in the name of religious bullshit.

A comparative religion course would be appropriate. It's amazing how many xtians don't even know what their own religion entails, much less what others say.

I agree completely. The problem for Christians, however, seems to be that they don't much care about a level playing field. If the History of Christianity (and the other 2 major Abrahamic religions) were told truthfully in all their historic glory, comparing and contrasting, I bet a lot of students would find the history lessons so repellent that they'd soon become freethinkers and 'infidels'! And the progression of societies from believing in many gods, to one god only begs the question...eventually we progress to no god.

Personally I THINK that they should teach right from wrong. Nobody should be influenced either way on religion.. It should be a choice.. Based on fact...an informed decision kinda thing

But right and wrong have nothing to do with religion.

And here we have to distinguish the difference between individual belief and the institution of religion. The personal belief system would not be the point of a class in Comparative Religion but rather the study of the philosophy and behaviors/rituals of each religion. A study of morality would be a separate issue...the ethics question. Not necessarily religious at all, as the person's comment above hints at.

Absolutely not, all schools should reframe from embedding underdeveloped brains unverifiable nonsense which cannot be proven to be a actual fact but actually has a mountain of evidence to the contrary. This is dishonest and it's called indoctrination. If someone is gullible enough to swallow to this nonsense people call religion let them do it on their own time at home let them learn more important things about real life in public schools.

Absolutely not. Though the Christians try to sneak it into our public schools around my area.

I wish I could remember that bumper sticker. I'll paraphrase. Something like "I'll allow prayer in school if you allow scientific research in church"....probably less wordy but the same meaning....it is the focus of the Separation of Church and State. Talk about the place for the wall, right? ha ha

I agree 100%

NO!! Plain and simple...NO! Kids have a lot of garbage thrown at them, every day, why make religion one of them. Teach them life skills, compassion, understanding, fairness...then you won't have to brain wash them.

I had a survey course as a senior in my public HS and we were introduced to the world's religions. I think studying religions as an aspect of the humanities can be a good thing. Ultimately so much of the world's art and music has religions roots (i.e. Bach and Michaelangelo) and understanding of religion is vital to that. The knowledge of how religion is included and referenced in world literature is also important. Maintaining a certain 'objectivity' about religion can only be undertaken by the study of comparative religion. I also think that the criticism of religion needs to be taught for us to be free-thinking society. Studies in the Humanities are part of a complete education.

Isn't there evidence someplace that atheists and agnostics have more factual information about world religions than religious adherents do? I could have sworn that I read that someplace. When those questionnaires go out and information is gathered about general knowledge about religion.....the faithless win! ha

No, no and no

Absolutely should, it is part of our history, while highlighting how it has fucked up societies, people's minds and is used as the ULTIMATE EXCUSE to deride, abuse and kill others.

Of course not. Unless found in the fiction section of the library. Frfr

I read a couple of years ago that in Oklahoma children were given a comprehensive religion course featuring the major religions. The trouble started when parents objected to any mention of Islam in any way, shape, or form. As long as it was Christianity, no problem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.