Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fuck no. There are places for that like church and jail. Schools are supposed to be for learning useful things. Should we teach the kids astrology and read their horoscope in the morning too? Religion is the same thing.

I would think if one was teaching religion as a class, astrology would be included. I think it would go under WICCA, but I think you're confusing educating a child on what the world religions teach. I don't think anyone one was suggesting that they be given a CCD class or a Bar Mitzvah, but just a general understanding of what each religion believes, the similarities and differences and how it has impacted culture.

@JeanLafitte45 there is no astrological charting in Wiicca

@AnneWimsey I was talking about zodiac Signs.
[wiccamovement.com]

@JeanLafitte45 that neither

@AnneWimsey apparently not all wiccans agree with you.

JeanLafitteetapas5 cults/ offshoots in any religion always have differences. True wiccans are basically nature worshipping "communities"

Yes, if all the religions of mankind were stacked on a few shelves in school libraries with large clear printed signs above each shelf displaying the following words, The Myths of Mankind.

Yes! Long, long ago, when I was in school in a small rural town in northeast Washington state, a school levy failed any the school board allowed community members to teach classes. Some were good, some not. I was lucky and fell into a comparative religions class taught by a scholarly local Christian minister. She (yes, a female minister in the 1970s) did a wonderful job of acquainting us with the basics of the Abrahamic religions and a smattering of the eastern religions. Fourty years later I count that class as one of my most memorable and eye-opening school experiences.

CeeFi Level 3 Jan 13, 2019

A comparative religion course would be appropriate. It's amazing how many xtians don't even know what their own religion entails, much less what others say.

I agree completely. The problem for Christians, however, seems to be that they don't much care about a level playing field. If the History of Christianity (and the other 2 major Abrahamic religions) were told truthfully in all their historic glory, comparing and contrasting, I bet a lot of students would find the history lessons so repellent that they'd soon become freethinkers and 'infidels'! And the progression of societies from believing in many gods, to one god only begs the question...eventually we progress to no god.

Most people refer to the controversy of teaching religion within the science curriculum, which I would whole heartedly oppose. It is not science, whereas evolution, for example, is a scientific theory. Therefore, it follows that evolution should be taught in science classes. Religion, along with mythology, and so forth, belongs in an entirely different category. Religion is NOT science. Period.

Hey SkeptikSeeker's,
I agree with what ur saying I just wanted to share with you the fact that evolution is not a theory although, that school of thought is often referred to as "Theory". As you know evolution is based on scientific fact derived from direct observation, archeological and anthropological methods as well as a whole host of disciplines including evolutional DNA research. BTW, Great pic.

@NoReliqjstLove
Fair enough, according to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, evolution its both.
[nas.edu]
And thank you.

A study of comparative religions, taught objectively would be a legitimate thing. Finding someone to teach it would be a challenge. To stay objective the teacher should not believe in any of the religions he was teaching about. So the teacher would have to be.........an atheist!

Only if all the beliefs are called myths in all the religions

Religion is just like history, sociology, philosophy, music, art, athletics, etc. It is a part of what has made up the human race. People should have knowledge of it - of all the religions. So yes - it should be taught. But it should be taught as subject matter and not in any other way.

Maybe with a historical aspect that includes many religions. No specific religion should be taught as a class though.

Religion can be taught at church. I don't think there is a lot of time during school time to waste on religion. A specialty unit for university level perhaps, along with myths and legends.

I had a survey course as a senior in my public HS and we were introduced to the world's religions. I think studying religions as an aspect of the humanities can be a good thing. Ultimately so much of the world's art and music has religions roots (i.e. Bach and Michaelangelo) and understanding of religion is vital to that. The knowledge of how religion is included and referenced in world literature is also important. Maintaining a certain 'objectivity' about religion can only be undertaken by the study of comparative religion. I also think that the criticism of religion needs to be taught for us to be free-thinking society. Studies in the Humanities are part of a complete education.

Isn't there evidence someplace that atheists and agnostics have more factual information about world religions than religious adherents do? I could have sworn that I read that someplace. When those questionnaires go out and information is gathered about general knowledge about religion.....the faithless win! ha

To the extent that they should give equal coverage to every religion, and not omit the atrocities they commit. That usually gets the religiously-minded to ban discussing religion in schools, if they can't limit it to their own specific delusion. The idea that their kids might have to hear about Brahma, Mohammed, Xenu, and John Frum instead of exclusively about the Jeebus will make them have mental conniptions.

Yes, as part of the curriculum, philosophy etc; not as a substitute for fact.
My daughter (aged 12) & I had this exact conversation the other day when she asked me why I didn’t want her going to a church school. I explained that I believe, unapologetically, in the unadulterated separation of church & eduction.
She asked why.
“Because one of the many reasons you go to school is to learn - maths, history, science, English, Geography, other languages etc etc etc - 1+1=2 is a fact, & there’s no escaping that, not even if you shout, insist otherwise, burn books, change the answer, or ban it. It’s a fact - 1+1=2. Learning that God made woman from the rib of Adam is not a fact; it’s a belief. And there’s no escaping that either, not even if you shout, insist otherwise, burn books, change the answer, or ban it. You are however, advised to broaden your knowledge of the world by learning about religions, beliefs & various outlooks on life. But I don’t want you coming home from School telling me that God made the flowers - I want you to go to school to learn about seeds, photosynthesis, stamen, petals etc etc etc. And then decide later, for yourself, if you think that’s all utter nonsense; in which case, you can come home from whichever church of your choice & tell me that God made flowers. But until then, we’re sticking to schools which deal in facts.”
Being a parent’s flipping exhausting.
(Fact) (?)

Brilliant Isabelle, totally agree and just what I would hope someone from Tunbridge Wells would say! I used to live up the road in East Peckham. I am so pleased that The Garden of England is in safe hands. 🙂

only under 'myths and legends'

All religion should be taught in schools. Including Norse Gods, Roman Gods, Egyptian gods, Assyrian Gods, etc etc, At least make it interesting.

As long as is in the same level as greek mythology

An overall synopsis of religions should be taught in schools, not one religion alone

As long as they are teaching it as folklore, myth and delusion.

It would be wonderful if we could teach religion like we teach smallpox.

"We have a small freezer of southern baptism and related strains in the CDC freezers in Atlanta. Meanwhile, there is some Russian Orthodox Christianity on ice over in Sverdlofsk. There is reason th suspect some may have escaped and is harming the region."

Yes. The more you know about religion the less believable it becomes.

To you and me...
But I still see way too many wacky jobs head over heels over God

Absolutely. When I was a child, I was fascinated by religion, and I studied it in depth. (Yeah, I was a blast to be around..LOL.) That is what made me realize that it was ridiculous. I think if religion was taught in a broad sense, with nothing but facts and a description of all of the other religions/superstitions that were woven into modern religion, more people would recognize how silly it all is. At the same time, it would need to guarantee equal time to all religions and not be taught from any religious point of view, or it could have an undesirable effect.

I think an overview of all world's major religions should be taught by secular teachers as a secular subject. This way, children are familiar with some basic details, and are a lot less likely to fall prey to evangelism of any kind.

Of course not!

Not as pure fact. Generally speaking I don’t see harm since it’s played such a large role in society up to this point

The large role played by religion in the world is harmless Jacob ???, try learning about the Catholic atrocities over the centuries, and still they are debauching our children ! death for witchcraft, burning at the stake, the Muslims barbaric treatment of women, the crusades, and the millions of humans that have been destroyed in the name of religious bullshit.

Absolutely not. Though the Christians try to sneak it into our public schools around my area.

I wish I could remember that bumper sticker. I'll paraphrase. Something like "I'll allow prayer in school if you allow scientific research in church"....probably less wordy but the same meaning....it is the focus of the Separation of Church and State. Talk about the place for the wall, right? ha ha

I agree 100%

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.