Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a significant part of our history, so I think religion as it pertains to history should be taught. The problem, as I see it, is similar to how we currently teach history. There are tons of omissions and it is skewed towards the white European's point of view. Providing an unbiased account should be priority, however, it seems unlikely.

children should not be exposed to religion as they are easily influenced

As a comparative subject; yes. If so, all major faiths should be included.

My parents brought us to church for social reasons more than anything. After I went through confirmation, I was told I could make up my own mind. I think having a understanding of religion helped me to begin questioning it. Now my whole family is either atheist, agnostic or humanist. So, yes, I think we should educate our young about religions.

In parochial schools.

Nor48 Level 4 Nov 24, 2017

you should be taught everything about society.

Maybe with a historical aspect that includes many religions. No specific religion should be taught as a class though.

Why not? As long as it's taught in a class on all beliefs; religions, spirit worship, non-believers, animism, etc. And I would be willing to teach it too. Just because I don't believe in something doesn't mean I wouldn't teach it. I don't believe in slavery or the subjugation of women but if you teach American History you're going to have to at least address these subjects.

Religion in the context of how it has influenced history...definitely. Oh how I wish I could have a discussion with Robert E. Lee, who at once believed slavery was an evil institution, but also that his sympathies lay more with white people than the blacks. He apparently believed "Providence" would exclusively communicate with him so he'd know when slavery was to end...by Divine order. So, besides the obvious lesson in bigotry vs morality, I'd love to have been able to ask him why it wasn't possible that "Providence" had already communicated to the abolitionists that it was time to end slavery? In other words, a question that attacks his self-righteous arrogance to believe he and he alone had such favor with "Providence", that he'd get that message and no one else.

To not teach how religion has influenced world events, all too frequently for the absolute WORST, as far as I'm concerned, betrays the spirit of the U.S. Constitution--considering the lessons learned from having the unholy influence of religion over the power of the government to act in the name of that religion. It's no wonder the FIRST TEN words of the FIRST AMENDMENT to the Constitution, prevented Congress from passing laws respecting the establishment of religion.

Yet, despite the miserable lessons learned from that unholy union, christian conservative/evangelical politicians are constantly invoking "god" and driving evangelicals to vote based on religious credentials, dogma, and who is able to convince them they're true "christians"...not the issues that affect us all.

Essentially, evangelical legislators and supreme court justices are the backdoor to circumvent the First Amendment. Our children need to understand why the First Amendment exists, why religion was the first order of business, and how evangelicals who put their religion before the Constitution, are not fit to serve. This should also stimulate the "no religious test clause". discussion. I don't believe the clause exists to give a free pass to evangelicals having the power as legislators to craft law unique to their religion. I believe it exists to prevent a dominant religion from being able to exclude others of a different or objectionable religion. Nevertheless, where our "Founding Fathers" warned of the need to separate the power of the government from the influence of religion, anti-constitution conservatives are hellbent on infecting our Constitution with their dogma.

Our children should be taught ABOUT religion, but not as an indoctrination. And, that's just from our history...

No. A secular society is the way forward, and teaching religion in school is not secular. It's like telling the citizens, our religion only true one.

That is already being taught... In India atleast. Not only that, but also the teachings of one particular man- Swami Vivekananda, who laid the foundation for the secular values of our constitution. Two of the most important were- "All Religions are different paths to the same destination" and "God is within man. Service to man is service to God". Though I believe there is no need for a god in the equation to serve mankind, it is a great way to teach secular and humane values.

The concept of religion should be taught, because it's something we constantly encounter in the real world. The four or five biggest religions (in numbers of subscribers) should be taught just for their basic premise and "universe of imaginary beings." There should be no emphasis on a particular religion as being "correct" or more "moral". Just provide the basic tenets of each belief.

I agree it shld be taught but not in schools as a formal subject. Religious subjects are to he like story books. Or more like folk tales or nothin more that Harry Potter. Giving religion a strong leg in our educational system is what got us all into the mess of religious brainwash and terrorism to start with.

Only in the context of teaching that there are many other beliefs and that we should respect that

Yes, it is necessary to understand history; religion is the motivation of countless wars, genocide, imperialism, persecutions, etc. But no religion should be taught as "truth".

that'd be alot of subject or you mean "their religion of truth?"

Religion should be taught objectively, not "they are all wrong except for mine. "

In an intellectual and comparative sense, yes; as indoctrination, no. Most often, the people who want to "teach religion" intend to indoctrinate impressionable children into THEIR religion, which is absolutely morally wrong.

NO, emphatically, Schools are educating children, etc, in facts and realities, NOT in Fiction, Superstition, baseless, unfounded Beliefs and false hopes and promises.

What religion would they chose to not offend the others (rhetorical) ? They need to have a common sense class. Make wilderness survival an elective.

No. My current example: Wahhabism.

Vague question. Which schools, public or private? Public schools have separation of church and state. Can't teach one religion without teaching all (That means, if you teach Christianity, you better be ready to teach Islam, Judaism, Baha'i, Sikhism, Buddhism, Hinduism, North American Native American spirituality, Australian Aboriginal spirituality, Yoruba, etc). Private schools? They can teach whatever they choose to do so because of private donors.

The better question is, if you study religion in school e.g. college or private high school or on your own, should you take a course specific to one religion e.g. New Testament Christianity or should you take a comparative/world religions course?

No! Then Evolution should be taught at religious gatherings.

In secondary education I think world faiths, including atheism should be taught in the context of promoting critical thinking.

I think it should be taught as an elective subject and maybe As a work of literature under alternative history. It's a pretty good book as long as you think of it as fiction, Kind of like Game of thrones

Religion is better kept aside of Educational institutions. Let the growing Mind get to Think of Themselves and the Humanity

No it should not , it is devicive and serves only to create desperation and devision

Hopefully not

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.