Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, only acceptance an understanding of other's beliefs.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Not in any school. Ever. Private or Public.

No. There are already religious schools for that.

No . Maybe if requested by the student. And they should get a course in world religions by experts who are vetted. ...Still don't know if that would work. Lol

All religions or none.

Not at all

I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state.

No. Separation of church and state. To quote Wikipedia: "The separation of church and state is a philosophic and jurisprudential concept for defining political distance in the relationship between religious organizations and the nation state." And furthermore, I feel children that are subjected to a religious education are unfairly indoctrinated and lose some ability to form rational thoughts and form their own personal philosophy of life and moral standards.

My opinion is those of the civil liberties group. Their power over this is good because you might offened someone who is not that doctrine. Therefore it want happen.

As part of history, or as a comparative religion course, yes absolutely. We atheists and agnostics should not be so fearful of the possibility our kids might be lured into some cult that we deny them the opportunity to learn about their cultural heritage. And the monotheistic religions have played an immensely important role in shaping that. Literature studies, for example, without reference to the bible would be almost unthinkable. Nearly every important work in any European language refers back to it in some way, as does much of the rest of our artistic heritage, to say nothing of our legal codes etc. We are, so to speak, stuck with it, but it does nothing to undermine the strength of the atheist position to acknowledge the fact.

my view is this...study religions of the world but include in this atheism and pagan religions.. equal time for all or none at all. kids have the right to know but there again if they are forced into churches.. mosques etc by their parents for that brainwashing program school education on religion is pointless for them. perhaps a minimum age of entry into religious buildings would be a better idea

As a major component in the history of the world religion should be a central part of the history curriculum. I think a comparative religion class is essential in schools in order to transcend the exclusivity to truth claims that many religions make. I don't know how many times I have undermined that argument by showing believers my 'Dictionary of the Gods'. 😉

Yes, nothing worse than an uneducated argument on any topic.

Religions are part of society. Not to do so would cause the child to be ignorant in an area. Perhaps the method of instruction should be a comparative study of religions.

yes like it or not religion has been part of humanity and has shaped every culture. How can we comprehend the middle east without a basic understandings of Islam and Judaism? Yes it should be taught In a comparative historical context.

Marko Level 1 Nov 13, 2017

In the same way that we are aught in school fire will burn our hands if we touch it.

No, the ids do not need more BS fed to them. They get enough already.

Fuck no. There are places for that like church and jail. Schools are supposed to be for learning useful things. Should we teach the kids astrology and read their horoscope in the morning too? Religion is the same thing.

I would think if one was teaching religion as a class, astrology would be included. I think it would go under WICCA, but I think you're confusing educating a child on what the world religions teach. I don't think anyone one was suggesting that they be given a CCD class or a Bar Mitzvah, but just a general understanding of what each religion believes, the similarities and differences and how it has impacted culture.

@JeanLafitte45 there is no astrological charting in Wiicca

@AnneWimsey I was talking about zodiac Signs.
[wiccamovement.com]

@JeanLafitte45 that neither

@AnneWimsey apparently not all wiccans agree with you.

JeanLafitteetapas5 cults/ offshoots in any religion always have differences. True wiccans are basically nature worshipping "communities"

I used to be strongly against the idea, but I'm open to some forms of it. Only from an educational perspective, not proselytizing. I see comparative religion aimed at say the top 5 or so as a reasonable compromise, with the ability to let students bring up the comparison of another religion not in that list if they want to.

well, yes...only to learn how religion has manipulated mankind sin ever.

I’d be ok with comparative religion being taught in schools.

No. Establishment Clause. I would be completely fine with Social Studies teachers going over the Spanish Inquisition and Crusades. No proselytizing in school.

To the people saying "only if we cover all religions equally" you probably don't realize how many religions there are both currently active and dead religions. That's a long road to no where but wasted time and tax payer monies.

If parents want to indoctrinate their children, then let them do it on Sunday.

NO.

It should only be taught as part of a comparative religion class.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.