Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (551 - 575)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Neeeeeeeever

Absolutely. RELIGIONS, plural, that is. It is so important in adding to our understanding of one another.

Only if you have a selection of classes in order for students to pick from which they can choose for all religions. Simply applying a religion course in any school would create an uproar from many parents and main stream religions crying foul. Which I believe is already an occasional issue brought up in the MSM often tossed out to create chaos a few times a year.

I have no problem with teaching religion as a psychological underpinning of our general sociological values. As long as these values are constructively evaluated and not excepted without question. I also like the idea of gaining greater understanding, correlation and potential interrelationships a social gain. I say all this without any belief in the religious aspects, more in the way that social rules have developed over the millennia. If these constructs were adapted without all the fiction there could be advantages. In short, if they could take the religion out and keep the good bits I would be for it

"As long as these values are constructively evaluated and not excepted without question".

"If these constructs were adapted without all the fiction there could be advantages. In short, if they could take the religion out and keep the good bits I would be for it"

Maybe I'm having a brain fart trying to understand these, your post all together even. But it seems to me the upper sentence over rides the bottom sentence. I like the top sentence and agree. But then you really lose me with the second. If you take out the fiction, I'm assuming contradictions and hypocrisies, within the process of teaching, then what value is left for the student towards constructive evaluation in the learning? As one who has read the bible, the contradictions and hypocrisies within were as important as the socialized, as I saw them, messages within. Which provide the very essence for students to fundamentally develop questions to what they are trying to learn and place importance on. Then to apply that to life as a value or valueless. Taking those values to other religious teachings and concentrating the more valuable together.

@William_Mary, Many of the basic laws of our society are outlined in the Ten Commandments, no stealing or killing. Many of the other rules have gone by the wayside and do not fit in in our present society. I am sure many other religions have parts to offer that also are enshrined in how we live with an equal amount of unnecessary outmoded BS. What I am saying, is, can't we just concentrate on the useful parts that include and harmonise our society rather than concentrate on the divisive bs that causes trouble?

@ColinSC Most here are likely to agree that religion was developed as a means of controlling the masses with generally sensible rules and a large amount of fantasy.

As a cultural value yes, but not as a personal belief system. Why is the middle east in such termoil? Politics and religion both play a role, separately and symbolically. A knowledge of the several religions involved can greatly aid our understanding of the issues. Eastern cultures also differ from our own western aculturation. Religion is also central to those differences. What religions to learn depends upon the area under study. Even agnosticism has a religious context. After all, what canon of beliefs are you rejecting?

Only in a Historical context.

I love that quote RonnieD! Teach them mythology and within that context teach them many religions.

Look to Joseph Campbell for clues on how to proceed.

i believe religion shouldnt be taught at school. if people were more open minded then maybe however i think to many people just go along with whatever is taught to them at home and this would bring drama between parents and the school. i say leave religion out of schools .

Never should any religious teaching, except possibly a comparison of the worlds religions with a scientific point of view, but only in college. Actually, religious comparison leaves open the opportunity to push one over another, so, maybe not.

Only religious schools per se. Belief systems of all kinds might be gone over in discussions of philosophy; but never as science. Mythos has naught to do w/ testable, falsifiable hypotheses.

Yes. After the age of 12. It should be classes about all of the religions of the world from the ancient past forward. It should talk about all the religious books, all the teachings, all the virgin birth stories, and it should cover non religion too, it's history.

Gawd no...separation of church and state.

Of course things about religion ,history should be taught in schools. I even went to a Christian School one year when I was in 6th grade. And people have a right to send their children to religious schools if they want them to learn religion. I think when we become an advanced Society there won't be any religions. At least not Ones based on myths.

No way. That is something that should be left at home for the parents

All religions should be taught as part of cultural awareness and social sciences. Compare and contrast all religions, this is stuff all people should know.

Absolutely not.

Only in private religious schools. Public schools should keep to teaching facts. Religion in schools is for those who pay and pray.

Only if it's the teaching of my lord and master the Flying Spaghetti Monster1. All hail marinara!

I will acknowledge up front that I'm probably just repeating something that has already been said since there are 439 comments here before me. BUT... Not in primary schools but, at the University level, yes. And all religions. Even the Pastafarian and Spaghetti Monster versions. They can also include Atheism and Agnosticism. This would actually help people to understand that we aren't really Satan worshipers. We aren't worshipers at all. Well, I'm not anyway. I can't speak for everyone. Atheism and Agnosticism are not cults or organized religions. There are no rules of which I am aware at this time.

Duke Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

Religions. Religion is a social science. It cannot and does not stand apart from culture. And Alexander Pope did say : ...seek not God to scan/ The proper study of Mankind is Man."
Of course its about Humanity.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

Is the school parochial?

Religion as historical reference. I would be very concerned about allowing religion to be taught in schools without A LOT of supervision from a non-religious supervisor. I live in Alabama and there's already more religion than should be taught here. The separation of church and state here is razor thin.

No, I believe public schools need to stick to educating children on reading, writing and arithmetic. So many of them lack these skills already that throwing religion in there would just intercept their minds from retaining what they NEED to learn. If you want religion taught to your children during school hours send them to private schools. If you can't afford it send them to church. ????

I didn't get brainwashed in school, thankfully so I don't agree with teaching or brainwashing kids in school, let their parents do that evil deed and since most kids do the opposite of what their parents want them to do, that should help rid the planet of religion (haha wishful thinking)

Without it history classes would make almost no sense.

I agree. Wether we like it or not religion in it's many forms has to be taught . Especially the evils and abominations, human suffering and ignorant refusal to adhere to any other possibility. Ancient humans had an excuse , what does modern educated man use as an excuse.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.