Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (576 - 600)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It could be but to make mandatory is wrong if the child wants to go then and only then it would be ok.this is about religion being tough in school

It could be but to make mandatory is wrong if the child wants to go then and only then it would be ok

Taught? Sure, as a social studies class. Preached? Hell no!

No.

I teach history, so I teach about religion. So yes, it should be taught in school, just like everything else. You take something like Islam, for instance, and I feel part of the reason people are so dismissive of it, is they don't actually know anything about it, except that people who are Arab practice it. Also, many kids today don't know much about their own religion, which is predominantly Christianity. That said, I've refused to teach in Catholic schools, I don't think my beliefs would jive with them.

Insofar as it helps people understand the culture of the places they are studying, yes they should. It should be taught the same way that the Greek and Egyptian pantheon are, as fiction.

Not in a public school where there is kaleidoscope of beliefs.

Ruadh Level 3 Dec 17, 2017

Which religion? The Roman and Greek myths? The religions of the Native Americans? Satanism?
No, religions are myths and legends, no place in 'education'. Plus, schools have no time to waste on BS such as religion ... they need all the time possible for Science, Math, Art, Music, Gov't, etc. Peace.

I think either they all should be or none should be. I took a "World Religion" class in the 111th grade and it set me out on this path, which I am eternally grateful for.

Yep and what as been done in the name of religion. On the ww2 German soldiers belt buckle it read "god is on our side" or words to that effect.

Sure. there is a lot of history intertwined with religion. But teach ALL religions, and how they are similar. Besides, if you don't learn about religion, how are you going to win on Jeopardy!

Yes..history,basics of that religion, stick to facts

Hell NO!
Here's a notion teach history, science, philosophy, mathematics, teach how to think with logic.

Tess Level 3 Dec 14, 2017

I personally believe it has no place in school because of separation of church and state; however, I'm not opposed to it being an elective course.

I had a religious education class at school. Learning about different religions is a god thing. Just don't teach about one religion and teach it as fact.

No

Yes, but not as I was taught at school which was pretty much just about Christianity. The subject of religion should be taught, reasons why people hold their beliefs, different ethnicity, cultures etc. and as many religions should be covered as possible.

Talk about religion only in comparative religions classes. Not in science classes because religion is not science. The latest form of religion is pseudoscience called intelligent design. If you would like to talk about intelligent design do it in a religion class. If you are curious please review the PBS documentary "Judgement Day: intelligent design on trial." See it on YouTube.

A school can talk about religion but if cannot Advocate religion.

not "a" religion, but the sociology or religions... pretty brief subject though, I'd say...

Religion should be taugh ABOUT, the same way cannibalismand NAzi attrocities are taught ABOUT. "This is what NOT to do".

Only in higher levels. Never before high school. And only as theory and with all non religious theories as well.

No not necessary to mess up kids, let them chose when they are older and capable of making that decision.

Yes, as a part of any "Mythology Couse" and/or during a "Critical-Thinking Course" as examples of faulty thinking / logical fallacies. Etc.

I think everything that could be looked at as a religion or belief system involving forces beyond the everyday (thinking along the lines of shamanism) should be taught/examined in school like one would study sociological systems.It is a fact of human reality/history and the effects of different belief systems can not be ignored. I was raised Catholic but learned much more about Catholicism in my own studies of history in bits and pieces over time

Religion shouldn't be taught.

End of story.

Maybe in history class.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.