Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (601 - 625)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only way is to educate and compare them. Otherwise, no. Just as politics is taught to educate about government, not to convert the young minds but to see many sides of it all.

Yes: as comparative study of the world's religions from an historic perspective and without bias as to a rightness of one belief.

LoriS Level 3 Oct 23, 2017

A college comparative religions class helped me when I first started questioning. A class on the Bible would be dynamite if it could be taught by a non-believer.

How long was a creative day?
Where did the light come from on day one when the sun wasn’t created till day four?
What is the firmament?
How did plants live without the sun?
If the stars are 13.82 billion years old why does the Bible say they were created on the same day as the moon which is about 4.5 billion years old? Is science wrong?
Why are there two different Genesis accounts?
Alas, that will never happen in a Bible class as religion classes are taught by believers with the hard questions left out.
So NO.

gearl Level 8 Oct 22, 2017

Yeah, I think there should be a comparative religion class that covers the major religions. I think that, along with a critical thinking class, would lead more people away from religion. Teach them how to think critically and give them all the information. Atheism will follow.

Yes, I think all the major religions should have their basic, and differential beliefs taught in schools, that way many more young people would realise early on that what they are all teaching is imagination.

No, religion shouldn't be taught in school. Unless you intend to teach every religion on the face of the planet. Religion, if it is taught, should be left to parents not the schools.

No it causes hate for a start and is a form of mind control, we need free thinkers not those who think there is a man i the sky watching over us.....

No. Religion is divisive and someone is ways lacking. It teaches myths and lies. It can be taught as a social science when surveys of other religions are done.

Venka Level 2 Oct 22, 2017

No. Schools should teach students to question everything.

Including religions. However, unless you teach about those religions they can't learn to question them. Where it becomes an issue is when you have teachers who only teach about a single religion and teach it as fact.

Yes, in college.

We have churches (and too many at that !) for religious teachings.

people should learn about different cultures and religious groups but about the actual religions themselves

If a school district or board chooses this path, they would need to teach ALL the religions, all the various non-religious beliefs too. Equal time, but this would be impossible.
I am firm in thinking any or all religious instruction should be coming from the home.
When I was in Public School, our County Board, (I am thinking through some members or the Chair's affiliation with a church), we had regular Christian only instruction, pretty fundamentalist at that. The students of the Jehovah's Witness faith sat out in the hallway during the lesson.

always right along with peter pan

Only if clearly defined as literature and not as scientific or historical fact.

For historical purposes I believe that all religion should be given some time in schools. Children need to understand where other people get their values from.

A class as an overview of all of the world's religion would be a good choice, but focusing on any one religion would not be acceptable. It would violate the separation of church and state.

All religion should come from the home. Period. I'm a teacher and if I'm going to be required to teach religion, I'm going to want to choose the religion. However . . . are we really talking about teaching religion or preaching it?

To teach children any particular religion is not a great idea but if you must, then lessons or theories should be preceded with the words “Some people believe that......” Try telling catholic or Muslim schools that!

mjpwl Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

No. Not at all, not even as a "What if" if Parents want to indoctrinate their children into a religion that forces them to behave out of fear of a horrible afterlife, then I suppose that is up to them, although I seriously consider religion to be child abuse. Teaching a child to uncritically accept their religious lies is teaching them not to think. They are teaching them that belief, without evidence, is acceptable. This damages the child's ability to reason. Add to that teaching the child that normal behavior is sinful, and that the sinful are hell bound, and you get a clear pattern of psychological abuse. if it is to be taught in schools for ANY reason, it should be taught under Mythology, like the Greek and Roman gods.

There absolutely should be separation of church and state. It is in our constitution for very important reasons. Churches that have the belief that religion should be taught in schools have historically had their own schools. I believe Catholics and Lutherans are a prime example. Some Lutherans fled their countries because they didn't like the way their countries were told to preach their particular religion. They came for the freedom to have their own and brought the ideas of schools with them. People don't realize that much of the "God" stuff was added to our national sense in about 1950 under Eisenhower. " Under God," was added to our pledge at that time. It was at the same time that "In God we trust," was added to our coins and currency. I still go to church, but would bulk if much more is added. If we add the Bible to our curriculum, we would then have to accept literature from all religions. If we want to know about that as adults, we are welcome to get it at our local library. "Godly," is what some people think is good behavior. Many Godly people are bigoted and narrow minded. People can have good morals, no matter what church they go to or not..

It's a tricky question. The Bible is, for better or worse, extremely important as the basis for many ideas in literature.

Philosophy, properly taught, involves teaching religious ideas as is the case with history.

I think is still material for knowledge then it should be taught...but there is a priority:

-History is to fix it focusing on modern days (in Italy we study until World War 2 at max)
-Applied Psychology have to be taught from middle school (as a tool to live)
-Science has to be expanded (focus on teaching the Scientific Thinking that provides the ability to understand what is true or false, opposite on Religious Thinking that makes you accept everything like a dogma)
-and in High School even something that teaches you how to do important concrete things (pay bills, taxes, jobs, etc)

Avoiding to talk about we need urgently a complete school reform (abolish multichoice test, change school hours, the whole approach to students (avoid standards), etc)

Absolutely not! It has no place in an intellectual environment. Education is very important & shouldn't be full of superstitious nonsense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.