Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (601 - 625)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It all ready is it's called a momostary where men do shiny in the dark with little boys.Happy happy Yule tide

Not in public schools, of course. I don't want my tax dollars supporting religious dogma or beliefs of any variety.

Yes in religious schools, this is where I began to figure this whole thing out. The myths spoke load and clear. These are fairy tales. I got into some trouble making comments in these schools but their answers to my questions just made me more of a non believer. Now let us speak of public schools.No they should not teach religion or hold classes or any other function in a public school. That is why they are called public schools paid for with tax dollars.

I believe all religions should be taught about in school, religion has played a large role in human history. I don't care for Christianity, but I do see the value of teaching about the religion.

Fuck no! Seperation between church and state much?

Yes all religions . We can under stand and be aware of other peoples beliefs . Its a big universe and i think it's obserd to think of a god that watches over and judges our lives . Being brought up Christain i do believe in Christs philosophies and the spirituality of Budists .

just like gym

yes all if not most.

I think kids need to be aware of other's beliefs and the history behind them. They need to learn to accept other ideas and question their own.

Absolutely not!

Yes. Teach all of them to hopefully reduce hate and violent tendencies towards rival theorist.

Sure. But maybe the top 10, all taught equally. Also explained in the learning should be the Agnostic atheist viewpoint.

Strictly on an intellectual basis. Otherwise it belongs in church.

godef Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

Yes, except ALL religions should be taught in schools. Not just Judeo-Christian ideas. There should be a a half-hour a day where the schools teach about all the worlds religions and philosophies. Not all in on day obviously but, have a structured way of teaching about eastern philosophy( Buddhism (read from the Pali canon) Hinduism( teach about all the gods in that religion) Christianity, Islam, Judaism.. you get the point.

In high school I took religious studies, and actually quite enjoyed parts of the subject, it was a good way of learning to look at differing points of view without bias.

Hell no. It has no place in schools unless you want to talk about the history, their origins & how they have always killed each other.

My parents brought us to church for social reasons more than anything. After I went through confirmation, I was told I could make up my own mind. I think having a understanding of religion helped me to begin questioning it. Now my whole family is either atheist, agnostic or humanist. So, yes, I think we should educate our young about religions.

In parochial schools.

Nor48 Level 4 Nov 24, 2017

you should be taught everything about society.

Religion in the context of how it has influenced history...definitely. Oh how I wish I could have a discussion with Robert E. Lee, who at once believed slavery was an evil institution, but also that his sympathies lay more with white people than the blacks. He apparently believed "Providence" would exclusively communicate with him so he'd know when slavery was to end...by Divine order. So, besides the obvious lesson in bigotry vs morality, I'd love to have been able to ask him why it wasn't possible that "Providence" had already communicated to the abolitionists that it was time to end slavery? In other words, a question that attacks his self-righteous arrogance to believe he and he alone had such favor with "Providence", that he'd get that message and no one else.

To not teach how religion has influenced world events, all too frequently for the absolute WORST, as far as I'm concerned, betrays the spirit of the U.S. Constitution--considering the lessons learned from having the unholy influence of religion over the power of the government to act in the name of that religion. It's no wonder the FIRST TEN words of the FIRST AMENDMENT to the Constitution, prevented Congress from passing laws respecting the establishment of religion.

Yet, despite the miserable lessons learned from that unholy union, christian conservative/evangelical politicians are constantly invoking "god" and driving evangelicals to vote based on religious credentials, dogma, and who is able to convince them they're true "christians"...not the issues that affect us all.

Essentially, evangelical legislators and supreme court justices are the backdoor to circumvent the First Amendment. Our children need to understand why the First Amendment exists, why religion was the first order of business, and how evangelicals who put their religion before the Constitution, are not fit to serve. This should also stimulate the "no religious test clause". discussion. I don't believe the clause exists to give a free pass to evangelicals having the power as legislators to craft law unique to their religion. I believe it exists to prevent a dominant religion from being able to exclude others of a different or objectionable religion. Nevertheless, where our "Founding Fathers" warned of the need to separate the power of the government from the influence of religion, anti-constitution conservatives are hellbent on infecting our Constitution with their dogma.

Our children should be taught ABOUT religion, but not as an indoctrination. And, that's just from our history...

No. A secular society is the way forward, and teaching religion in school is not secular. It's like telling the citizens, our religion only true one.

That is already being taught... In India atleast. Not only that, but also the teachings of one particular man- Swami Vivekananda, who laid the foundation for the secular values of our constitution. Two of the most important were- "All Religions are different paths to the same destination" and "God is within man. Service to man is service to God". Though I believe there is no need for a god in the equation to serve mankind, it is a great way to teach secular and humane values.

No. My current example: Wahhabism.

Vague question. Which schools, public or private? Public schools have separation of church and state. Can't teach one religion without teaching all (That means, if you teach Christianity, you better be ready to teach Islam, Judaism, Baha'i, Sikhism, Buddhism, Hinduism, North American Native American spirituality, Australian Aboriginal spirituality, Yoruba, etc). Private schools? They can teach whatever they choose to do so because of private donors.

The better question is, if you study religion in school e.g. college or private high school or on your own, should you take a course specific to one religion e.g. New Testament Christianity or should you take a comparative/world religions course?

No! Then Evolution should be taught at religious gatherings.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.