Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (626 - 650)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religions should be touched on , not taught as such. It's up to the parents to bring their children up as they see fit in this regard. Religion isn't something to learn , it's a belief system. You believe , or you don't. If you are taught it at an early age , you will probably believe in it until you are better informed , or not. Kids believe in Santa for a while , until they know better. As for teach all religions ? Wicca , Druidism ? can you see them being on the national curriculum ?

It depends.

Yes, children should be made aware of alternate truths.

No, one religion shouldn't be taught as the truth.

Yes, as schools of thoughts, not as dogma. And encourage students to think for themselves.

Yes but it must be ALL religion and not just YOUR religion.

It already is, or am I the only one that was introduced to Greek and Roman Mythology in school?

My grandson loves mythology. He doesn't really understand it is myth, because he is in special ed. The only thing that bothers me about that, is he sees god as capricious.

All of them?

As a part of human history religion should be taught, but not just one religion, a broad overview of religions especially how they have evolved, each appropriating myths from earlier religions. Honesty must prevail, the brutal history of religions must be included.

yes 100%. I once read a great quote:

“Teach children one religion and you indoctrinate them. Teach them many religions and you inoculate them.” — Unknown

RonnieD Level 5 Oct 19, 2017

I like that I may have to use that at some point

gonna transport this quote over to my facebook.. gonna steal it
::maniacal hand rubbing commences::

I like this but I wonder what we are innoculating them with

That is a nice quote!

Oh great quote...

i love it , may I share this?

@btroje innoculate them Scepticism. Teach thwm it's not what to think, but how to think.

@btroje inoculate them against brainwashing - if they see so many religions they have to realise they can't all be true, and that the one you believe in is almost certainly geographic.

@Funeralgirl

As a jr high social studies teacher, I do teach many religions from around the world to my students. I of course, can not advocate my personal beliefs, but I do enjoy that we compare and contrast them and they see the places they overlap and that there are many older than the one they have been taught here in the US. I try to be subtle but I point out the overlapping areas and hope it gets them thinking....

I love it!!! That one should go round the world!

I agree. History of religion and the origin of traditions as well as the common themes and motives should be a series of courses in schools.

That would mean that you would be teaching them 100s of religions, taking up massive amounts of time, on something that has no practical use. That would be a waste of an education, as it would be the only education that they would get.

Teaching as a cultural/political historical phenomenon rather than as a belief system makes sense to me.

@RobCampbell great way to put it. Agree

Innoculations cause autism!!!! /s

In a public school? What grade? Is it a world history class? Do the kids talk about their religion? @JenSelby

@Norie Public school, 6th and 7th grade, world history class. They can talk about their religion if they want to keep it brief, because we have lots of material to cover. It usually comes up when we are doing the comparisons.

@AKS74UPBS1 Don't act stupid. Do you think that the Dutch don't realize that? They are nót stupid. Isn't teaching them about the major religions enough too make them realize that if you want to be respected, you also have to give respect?

@AKS74UPBS1 Not teaching them 100s of religions but teaching them ABOUT 100s of religions. Most kids would surely then see that they all can't be true therfore none of them are likely to be true. I can't think of a better way to educate children.

Education is the key to many of or ills. People need to know about the option of no religion as well. I had a comment on facebook from a religious person who could not believe I have morals or a social conscience.

@DJVJ311 hahaha I just saw this lol

I agree in that it would be taught from in a anthropological, historical & sociological context.

I really like this! I think that teaching a variety of religions provides not only different value sets, but also entire different ways of thinking (especially in punishment, long term vs short term reward and punishment)

@bonobos48 100% yes

Taught but not encouraged.

I have no problem religion being taught in school. As a teacher I have always argued that Religious education should be taught by someone who is non-biased towards religion, i.e an Atheist. I teach in the UK and most RE is taught by Christians in the schools I have worked in.

Religious traditions (all religious traditions) as an element of humanities or social studies coupled with a heavy emphasis on history - gives the students a better perspective of how toxic religions have been through history

as a point of history, yes as an indoctrination definitely no

no full stop

There should be a class in religion. It needs to teach the origins of ALL religions including classical mythology. Christianity should not get any more exposure than Islam or Satanism or Christian Science. Give the history and important details like how many wars has that religion started.The conflicts between different religious groups. Explain about how that religions Scriptures came to be and about how unreliable the translation process can be.

Yes but in the mythology section. It's important to know where cultures spawn from.

Religion needs to be practiced in the home and place of worship, without support or acknowledgement by any branch of gov, including the school system. It eventually will either die out or be relegated as a subject of curiosity, such as the Greek gods. Comparative religion would be a great subject for the schools, in that it produces a lot of non-believers.

I think perhaps teaching comparative religion, showing the origins of biblical stories and hwo they virtually all the stories came from other religions and were incorporated into the Jewish/Christan books would be good for kids to learn about.

However, to teach just one religion by itself in schools would just be wrong, as religion teaches "magical thinking" which does more harm than good.

Only in higher levels of education such as selective high school classes (Biblical literature or Religious studies) and college courses.

School is about teaching children the scientific, mathematical and grammatical skills to progress in life skills and/or university. Religion is up to the parent to get off their heiney and be with and help their children to understand any other principles.

Religion is either to be taught in the home or in private schools that get NO government assistance.

I don't think so, because there are other more important things to learn instead religion. Maybe they should learn about those things when they get a developed criteria.

Schools are Indoctrination centres.Abolish all Schools.

Yes, all the major world religions should be taught in schools in North America, with more emphasis being put on Christianity, Islam and Judaism since they are the three most relevant religions not only to our people's history but also to current events. Buddhism, Hiduism, Sikhism, as well as the religions of the Native Americans should also be taught. Also, the religions of the past, that people no longer follow (like Greek and Roman mythology) should also be taught, so that students get a broad view of of they all intertwine and relate to each other. After having learned all of that, the student can decide for himself if he wants to be an Atheist or if one of the many religions he learned makes more sense to him. If it does, he's free to follow it.

Yes, but not forced to believe in whatever is being taught.

No school should ever force religion on a child, or abuse children in any way, of course.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.