Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (651 - 675)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No . Maybe if requested by the student. And they should get a course in world religions by experts who are vetted. ...Still don't know if that would work. Lol

Not at all

My opinion is those of the civil liberties group. Their power over this is good because you might offened someone who is not that doctrine. Therefore it want happen.

my view is this...study religions of the world but include in this atheism and pagan religions.. equal time for all or none at all. kids have the right to know but there again if they are forced into churches.. mosques etc by their parents for that brainwashing program school education on religion is pointless for them. perhaps a minimum age of entry into religious buildings would be a better idea

As a major component in the history of the world religion should be a central part of the history curriculum. I think a comparative religion class is essential in schools in order to transcend the exclusivity to truth claims that many religions make. I don't know how many times I have undermined that argument by showing believers my 'Dictionary of the Gods'. 😉

Yes, nothing worse than an uneducated argument on any topic.

Religions are part of society. Not to do so would cause the child to be ignorant in an area. Perhaps the method of instruction should be a comparative study of religions.

yes like it or not religion has been part of humanity and has shaped every culture. How can we comprehend the middle east without a basic understandings of Islam and Judaism? Yes it should be taught In a comparative historical context.

Marko Level 1 Nov 13, 2017

In the same way that we are aught in school fire will burn our hands if we touch it.

No. Establishment Clause. I would be completely fine with Social Studies teachers going over the Spanish Inquisition and Crusades. No proselytizing in school.

To the people saying "only if we cover all religions equally" you probably don't realize how many religions there are both currently active and dead religions. That's a long road to no where but wasted time and tax payer monies.

If parents want to indoctrinate their children, then let them do it on Sunday.

NO.

Only if all active religions are given equal time in the classroom

And major inactive ones eg greek, roman, egyptian, norse

All or none. None is my choice.

I actually believe religions SHOULD be taught in public schools, but only as an Anthropology-type study of all religions, to show their fallacies & hypocrisies. If we taught all religions TOGETHER, as a topic of human development, from ignorance and moral control, to educated and benevolent freedom of society, then kids will grow up knowing how ridiculous believing in gods is.

In schools they fully fund with their own money? Sure
Public schools? Absolutely not

No , religion should not be teached in school, i don't believe in god, but i respect those who believe in it, anything that bring serenity and good values to a person is good, even if it's not real, movies are not real but some people identify themselves to a movie, religion should be teached at home or in churches, i don't think religions are bad, i see it as point of reference on how to behave toward others,

School should emphasized more on science, if you ask me, but they're should also be a class to teach children good values, empathy, acceptance of the differences and a sense of community

and another reason why religion shouldn't be in school is the fact that there is more than one religion, the state should not favor one religion over the others

• Danny from Montréal

The issue with that is not all believers believe the same thing or think the same things. Everyone walks down their chosen isle and picks what they want off the shelf. No one picks the same things. Even ones of the exact same brand, like say if Bob and Bill both walk down the Baptist isle they're not going to pick the same things and to say "baptists believe this, this and this" in a school setting can be a bit off since not all baptists believe this, this and this. Just my thoughts on it.

It would have to generalize a lot, is what I'm saying.

No, i feel that religion has nothing to do with education.

There should be no place for religion in school at all.

No NO NO NO! If you want to teach your kid that 2 plus 2 equals 5 then either home-school him or take him to a religious based school. We really need someone like Madeline Murray O'Hare again to tell it like it is. She may have been crass, but she sure knew how to fight the fanatics. Dog bless her soul.

Of course religion should be taught in schools. but if you're going to teach one they all should have equal time. I think that's pretty fair.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.