Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (676 - 700)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I think all the major religions should have their basic, and differential beliefs taught in schools, that way many more young people would realise early on that what they are all teaching is imagination.

No. Not at all, not even as a "What if" if Parents want to indoctrinate their children into a religion that forces them to behave out of fear of a horrible afterlife, then I suppose that is up to them, although I seriously consider religion to be child abuse. Teaching a child to uncritically accept their religious lies is teaching them not to think. They are teaching them that belief, without evidence, is acceptable. This damages the child's ability to reason. Add to that teaching the child that normal behavior is sinful, and that the sinful are hell bound, and you get a clear pattern of psychological abuse. if it is to be taught in schools for ANY reason, it should be taught under Mythology, like the Greek and Roman gods.

It depends.

Yes, children should be made aware of alternate truths.

No, one religion shouldn't be taught as the truth.

Yes, as schools of thoughts, not as dogma. And encourage students to think for themselves.

Taught but not encouraged.

as a point of history, yes as an indoctrination definitely no

Only in higher levels of education such as selective high school classes (Biblical literature or Religious studies) and college courses.

School is about teaching children the scientific, mathematical and grammatical skills to progress in life skills and/or university. Religion is up to the parent to get off their heiney and be with and help their children to understand any other principles.

Religion is either to be taught in the home or in private schools that get NO government assistance.

I don't think so, because there are other more important things to learn instead religion. Maybe they should learn about those things when they get a developed criteria.

Schools are Indoctrination centres.Abolish all Schools.

Yes, all the major world religions should be taught in schools in North America, with more emphasis being put on Christianity, Islam and Judaism since they are the three most relevant religions not only to our people's history but also to current events. Buddhism, Hiduism, Sikhism, as well as the religions of the Native Americans should also be taught. Also, the religions of the past, that people no longer follow (like Greek and Roman mythology) should also be taught, so that students get a broad view of of they all intertwine and relate to each other. After having learned all of that, the student can decide for himself if he wants to be an Atheist or if one of the many religions he learned makes more sense to him. If it does, he's free to follow it.

Yes, but not forced to believe in whatever is being taught.

No school should ever force religion on a child, or abuse children in any way, of course.

Religion should not be taught. When an individual grows to a mature person, let them choose to learn if they want.

I don't think religion should be a mandatory requirement in school and if/when it's taken, it should be an elective focusing on all religions (the theology) aspect, and should be taught by someone well qualified to lead the high school discussions. Your typical teachers aren't going to be able to teach this class because of its highly-politicized nature and their biased views. May be they could treat it like a specialized class but at the first sight the Constitution is being broken, then I would pull the class.

it wasn't really taught where i went to school, don't really see a reason why its needed

No, lets keep religion out of schools and government.

i don't thnks so

Tesla Level 3 Oct 6, 2017

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Leave that to religious organizations. Schools have enough problems just teaching basic English, science and math.

Sandy Level 1 Oct 6, 2017

It's that simple. Thanks for your very simple but meaningful answer.

There are so many religions out there it would take all day just to get through all the rig ma roll. Also we should be free to believe or not believe.

absolutely not. how can you say one is more right than the other and pick it to teach

Only Christian schools.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.