Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely should, it is part of our history, while highlighting how it has fucked up societies, people's minds and is used as the ULTIMATE EXCUSE to deride, abuse and kill others.

Yes... Right alongside other mythic gods... Apollo, Zeus, etc.

Only in a historical context such as the crusades, witch hunting, 100 years war, inquisition, etc.

Religions should be taught as other world types of political ideologies because they, like political movements, operate the same. A Paradise or payoff of one or another kind is promised to those who will surrender themselves to 'betters' who establish doctrines.

Support and advancement (evangelizing) consist of financial support and participation in rituals and duties dictated by leadership. Leaderships claim to 'serve' and provide salvation to the faithful; always at some time in the future, either here on Earth or some Paradise. The problem with both is that promises are never fulfilled.

Schools already teach religion in that they support unrealistic socio-political ideologies and principles and are critical of others. They forbid 'prayer' while organizing rituals that are no more than acts of worship of a state with a god's alleged endorsement.

Not teach religion per se. But saying, "some people believe" is just teaching kids about the world and what to expect from it. ?

Yes...and alchemy and astrology also

Hutch Level 7 June 23, 2018

The history of our world should be taught from a religious pov in all schools. That being the damage that it has caused.

JB4now Level 5 June 20, 2018

I think the basic history of world religions should be taught, the influence. Positive and negative.Cultural influences and the ensuing conflicts.

In philosophy class, sure.

Religion should not be taught at school, period. Perhaps at the age of 12 there should be a class on the history of religion and comparative religion, but not before then.

Denker Level 7 June 11, 2018

Why not, in church sponsored schools? Certainly not in public schools and no taxes should go to the church schools, but they do! In this fucked up country (USA) they still open each session of Congress with a prayer, for Christ's sake!

In a very critical way. Showing the connections between wars and religious conflicts.

If you're talking about an ELECTIVE college class on religious mythology...why not? Otherwise, never!

No they should teach debating and critical thinking

As a historical basis, not a place for proselytizing!

A class about theology would be fine.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 30, 2018

Religious teaching is the most insidious form of indoctronation.
It should not be taught in schools. Religion is the politics of control through fear.

The separation of church and state is as specific as it needs to be. I taught my grandson to think for himself, not to be atheist. And yet, he is atheist. WHY?? Because he wasn't being indoctrinated.

Children can be taught about religion, I.e. study all different religions in an objective way. Children should not be taught or encouraged to be religious in public school. Separation of church and state!

Alana Level 4 Mar 14, 2018

I agree theology is an aspect of humanity and excluding that would be silly, but the study of religion should never be confused with the endorsement of any religion.

Yes, of course. Religion makes more sense than science, after all.

Of course there's an invisible man up in the sky. Great big dude. Older feller, big long beard, wears robes. Infinitely strong. He won't let us see him, but he's in charge of everything in the universe. Every photon. Every quark. Knows everything that ever was and ever will be, from the instant of the big bang down to the atomic weight of your yet unborn great granddaughter's armpit hair stubble at a particular nanosecond in the future.

He loves each and every one of us more than we can even imagine. And even though there's no evidence for any of this, and nobody has ever seen him, as he refuses to reveal himself, he demands that you faithfully believe all this, or he will cast you into hell to be tortured forever. Even a googolplex years of constant suffering of the worst pain possible has passed, you haven't even begun to serve your sentence for not believing in him.

What a comforting religion!

Yes. ALL religious should be taught so that students are aware of the various beliefs. Seeing these beliefs back to back with each other teaches students that there are some profound variations in the way people relate to their religion, the student learns to understand that religion isn't really science, but just ideologies that people adhere to.

I don't have a problem with a class about religions being taught as an elective.

What about teaching about religions in a way that informs. A wise man once said, present just one faith, and I'll give you a believer, present all faiths, and I'll give you a skeptic. I don't know if this a perfect quote or even who said it. It's one of those vague memories, but if it's not an exact quote, I think you get the meaning behind it.

I can understand teaching historic events resulting from religion, (crusades, priest molestation, genital mutulation, Salem, etc...) but teaching the religion itself should not be included. @paul1967

Absolutely not. Separation of church and state is one of our most sacred Rights as Americans. History of world religions should be required.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.