Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion was, is and will be for the near future an important power in society, so it is important to understand past religions for history, how it changes and is changed by society, in which historical premises and logic is based, how the main local and world religion wants that their members see the world, how it is different of a scientific view. And how it is used by leaders to dominate public opinion and harness power.
So this stuff should be taught.

Yeah, in history class. Important to learn the lessons from the mistakes of our past.

Not until 6th grade. That's when kids may be able to grasp it. Just a guess though. It would have to be an un-biased class too. Religion is prevalent in this world in all places and children are curious ( I have secular belief though my daughter ask questions about it) so it is talked about. Hopefully I can give decent real answers to her questions, but she is influenced by others at school too. For now this is my best answer.

Hell no!, and when any of us discover religion being taught, shared, etc at a school or other public domain, please report it to a group such as Freedom From Religion Foundation, and subscribe to their newsletter to get the results of reporting those who defy the rule of separation of church and state.

As religions of the world YES. As an individual religious belief NO. Many do not get it that public schools are forbidden to teach religion. In some areas it is being done "after hours" on school property with full approval of the public school system district. This is illegal. By all means sue them to get rid of this and get religion out of your public school and only teach it in your Sunday School.
In my area a FB friend posted that it was "National Bring Your Bible to School Day." She is wrong. There is no such day in public schools. As a theist she is hoping it to be so and most likely cannot wait until creationism is taught in class rooms. They just keep making it up and do not get it that this sort of thing is for their private religious school or Sunday School. Be advised that Betsy DeVos is one who would like to turn this all around. This is why her and Mike Pence hold the office that they do today.

It should be taught as a unit that you can chose

Of course not. not in public schools, anyway, paid for with our tax dollars. that violates the separation of church and state. teaching children that religions exist, where they came from, what they mean and how they differ can be taught in schools. that's not the same thing as teaching religion. not teaching religion is not the same as ignoring anything. it's the same as obeying the law. teaching ABOUT religion and teaching religion are not the same thing.

g

Not teach religion per se. But saying, "some people believe" is just teaching kids about the world and what to expect from it. ?

Ignoring religion in schools is similar to ignoring the history of human civilization. Keeping children ignorant should not be the role of schools.

Absolutely not, unless it is specifically to show that it is purely myth and detrimental to society.

Religion no, religions yes, particularly comparative studies. Ignorance is dangerous

I think world religions should be taught in school. Basically a class that explains the origin of religions, the basic tenets of the religion, and the size of the religion. I can tell you as a teacher that nobody wants this to be taught in schools. They want their sect or beliefs taught. If public schools suddenly started teaching religion, there would be such a war over what was taught, that nothing would be taught.

Certainly the philosophy of religion can be taught but not the facts of religion ie creation by a higher being, Christian idea's of creation and the death of a man to forgive us all our "sins" whatever that is.
It should be about all religions and their beliefs and possibly showing how wrong they are.

The US Constitution guarantees separation of church and state. and NO religion should be taught in public schools. NONENot! comparative religion course, nothing.

The teachings of multiple religions yes. The teaching of one religion no.

Sure, we spent 2 days on Greek/Roman Mythology in 6th grade.

I am against any religious school indoctrination for people below age 18. Teach them how to think not what to sound ridiculous when saying to other people.

The context of religion however is relevant to many topics, just don't call the myth truth.

What religion would you teach?

Religion may be taught as literature, in combination with other fictions and fairy tales, and it may be taught as something that people do or did at one time believe, such as Greek, Roman, and other mythologies. It should not be taught as factual or as something to be believed, especially not as a required belief. That latter is for parents or churches to handle. I myself would not allow it to be taught in that way to children at all, but only to older youths or young adults, after a thorough grounding in science and logic.

Not in the public domain, unless it is a comparative studies and includes the rejection of main stream religion and doesn't brush over near a billion believes in some form of Nativism. I taught at a Catholic school for a few years. There was a religious teacher there with whom I had a fond friendship. I liked that he taught a class on ethics using at least one text from a Holocaust survivor. There are times, especially in teaching literature that one needs explain certain works by their religious symbolism. At that point, you are a commentary, not a preacher. Although, when teaching an African author like Achebe, it is okay to point out and annotate his attacks on religion, Christian and Islamic, who did harm in their efforts to colonize and change whole societies.

No - if parents want to send/take their children to church fine by me, not my life, but not compulsorarily in school.

I would agree to learn about all the religious practices in school as a comparative study. And that would include the complete history of each.

Nope. School is about learning. You should learn as much about religion at school as you do politics. Historical context only as it shapes the world

As a topic in SS, yes. As a replacement for science or as an alternative to science, no. As a topic in SS, it should be religions I.e., Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam, Buddhism, Jainism, Christianity....

Only as a course looking at and thinking critically about all religions.

Absolutely NO! I don't want My (or for that matter anyone's children) being propagated to. If it is taught like a social studies or history class ok, otherwise leave it to Sunday between 9:00 & 1:00, after all, I gotta catch the Licqour store before it gets too crowded.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.