Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Taught? No. Taught about? Yes. Children need to know how to spot crazy people for their own safety.

Only in the context of a history lesson.

None.

Mentioned, not taught.

dokala Level 7 July 20, 2018

All schools should be secular institutions. The religious should be kept at arms length from all children. They indoctrinate their minds and in certain cases have violated their innocent bodies. Schools should be places of learning and enlightenment not brain- washing centres for religious zealots. World religions should be taught as a subject to be looked at and analysed objectively as any other subject would. Parents of course pass on their beliefs to their children and we can’t do much about that, but at least at school children would be able see it from a more balanced point of view. To quote Richard Dawkins.....There are no such things as Christian or Muslim children, only children.

I think a 1-2 week lesson on each major world religion would probably be good. Idiots would at least stop confusing Muslims with Sikhs and have some clarity of their own religion.

I also think kids being exposed to several ONE TRUE GODS might make them question their own monotheism.

I can't see any high school tolerating such a diverse curriculum though.

To the extent that they should give equal coverage to every religion, and not omit the atrocities they commit. That usually gets the religiously-minded to ban discussing religion in schools, if they can't limit it to their own specific delusion. The idea that their kids might have to hear about Brahma, Mohammed, Xenu, and John Frum instead of exclusively about the Jeebus will make them have mental conniptions.

Yes...and alchemy and astrology also

Hutch Level 7 June 23, 2018

The history of our world should be taught from a religious pov in all schools. That being the damage that it has caused.

JB4now Level 5 June 20, 2018

A comparative class would be appropriate to inform students of the nature of the world's religions. It's amazing just how ignorant most people are about the world's religions, even their own. Teaching just one as fact is illegal and should be.

I think the basic history of world religions should be taught, the influence. Positive and negative.Cultural influences and the ensuing conflicts.

Yes, as part of the curriculum, philosophy etc; not as a substitute for fact.
My daughter (aged 12) & I had this exact conversation the other day when she asked me why I didn’t want her going to a church school. I explained that I believe, unapologetically, in the unadulterated separation of church & eduction.
She asked why.
“Because one of the many reasons you go to school is to learn - maths, history, science, English, Geography, other languages etc etc etc - 1+1=2 is a fact, & there’s no escaping that, not even if you shout, insist otherwise, burn books, change the answer, or ban it. It’s a fact - 1+1=2. Learning that God made woman from the rib of Adam is not a fact; it’s a belief. And there’s no escaping that either, not even if you shout, insist otherwise, burn books, change the answer, or ban it. You are however, advised to broaden your knowledge of the world by learning about religions, beliefs & various outlooks on life. But I don’t want you coming home from School telling me that God made the flowers - I want you to go to school to learn about seeds, photosynthesis, stamen, petals etc etc etc. And then decide later, for yourself, if you think that’s all utter nonsense; in which case, you can come home from whichever church of your choice & tell me that God made flowers. But until then, we’re sticking to schools which deal in facts.”
Being a parent’s flipping exhausting.
(Fact) (?)

Brilliant Isabelle, totally agree and just what I would hope someone from Tunbridge Wells would say! I used to live up the road in East Peckham. I am so pleased that The Garden of England is in safe hands. 🙂

In philosophy class, sure.

Religion should not be taught at school, period. Perhaps at the age of 12 there should be a class on the history of religion and comparative religion, but not before then.

Denker Level 7 June 11, 2018

I would support religion being taught in public schools. ALL religions without a preference of one over another or an attempt to convert but to inform.

only under 'myths and legends'

Why not, in church sponsored schools? Certainly not in public schools and no taxes should go to the church schools, but they do! In this fucked up country (USA) they still open each session of Congress with a prayer, for Christ's sake!

Most people refer to the controversy of teaching religion within the science curriculum, which I would whole heartedly oppose. It is not science, whereas evolution, for example, is a scientific theory. Therefore, it follows that evolution should be taught in science classes. Religion, along with mythology, and so forth, belongs in an entirely different category. Religion is NOT science. Period.

Hey SkeptikSeeker's,
I agree with what ur saying I just wanted to share with you the fact that evolution is not a theory although, that school of thought is often referred to as "Theory". As you know evolution is based on scientific fact derived from direct observation, archeological and anthropological methods as well as a whole host of disciplines including evolutional DNA research. BTW, Great pic.

@NoReliqjstLove
Fair enough, according to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, evolution its both.
[nas.edu]
And thank you.

I know some members disagreed with me me but I also think atheism and agnosticism should also be taught in high schools along with world religions, Greek myths, and ancient Egyptian.
You know what's interesting but different subject? I taught High School Science and Math for 20 years and occasionally taught Biology. I have a brother -in-law that did the same thing and he doesn't believe in evolution. We teach evolution for a month out of each year as part of the curriculum. I have met numerous Biology teachers that teach evolution and don't believe in it. I am sorry, but I cannot find a way to believe in the Bible, Christianity, or any religion and believe in evolution at the same time.
You know, a few decades ago in Rome, Ga. the Board of Education has a sticker placed in all Biology textbooks stating that evolution is only a theory. However, a judge later had them removed. Similar actions have probably happened in other parts of the country.
Anybody know of any??

That's why I could never be a teacher in a public school system. Teachers in the US are totally hamstrung by the fear of offending. They are rigidly held to the accepted doctrine, most of which is compiled in Texas, the buckle on the "Bible Belt". The very nature of our educational system makes being a real "teacher" impossible. Imagine Socraties or Aristotle teaching in public schools! Also, I always wondered why Religion which is older than Christianity is called Mythology. I can't imagine anything more"mythical" than the Bible.

Perhaps the curriculi include the teaching of humans' tendencies to become addicted to drugs, brands, junk foods, sports and religions.

Perhaps the curriculi include the teaching of humans' tendencies to become addicted to drugs, brands, junk foods, sports and religions.

A study of comparative religions, taught objectively would be a legitimate thing. Finding someone to teach it would be a challenge. To stay objective the teacher should not believe in any of the religions he was teaching about. So the teacher would have to be.........an atheist!

This depends on if this is in a Private or Public setting and then whether or not its 'Required'. Private institutions can require whatever they want. If its a public institution, though, it should only be an elective.

Yes as a basic exercise in the developement of human society. Religion has and continues to play a massive role in humanity. Understanding it is imperative to working towards a stronger and more open path of discourse.

Sure, as a subject but not as a form of indoctrination.

Roger Level 2 May 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.