Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religions should be taught in Schools. All Religions should be analyzed and historically discussed as to their origins and how they came into prominence. All mistakes and translations relating to the number and who and how they were made. Special notations should be made to connect the Political Influence and the Religious Priorities that were enforced by Politicians that swayed the Populace into a certain belief.

You are asking for honesty. Noble. Dangerous. Precious

From a state run education system: un-frickin'-likely. Corporate power writes the textbooks in it's own Godlike image.

Never. this is where it all starts followed by years of arguments. fights and evemtually wars, if religion can be taught in schools then what is to stop evolution being taught as well. After all, evolution makes sense not utter stupidity

We should teach children the damage that religions cause, how to think critically, and how to avoid the logical fallacies that blind, dogmatic faith comes with.

No don't need it enough churches around for those that want them.

Unfortunately churches only dictate their own religion and do not teach about every religion

Not in public schools. Compare the number of religous organizations/churches/schools, in EVERYtown, USA to the number of PUBLIC schools! There are plenty of places for people to get their religious fix in places other than our public schools beginning with their PARENTS! Public schools are just that—PUBLIC, meant to serve ALL people, not just a select few who would otherwise seek to exclude based on religion, gender, sexuality, science, etc, etc, etc. Besides that, the public school curriculum is crowded enough already with subjects that are important for kids to have a chance to be exposed to without adding another subject—religious teachings that can and are abundantly available elsewhere.

Teach them curiosity, creativity, empathy, intellectual integrity and critical thinking. It's better than religion. It is way more usefull than faith in every aspect of life.

Absolutely big no. Because when you teach a children not to do wrong because something call God will punish them then they will do the wrong things when they found there’s no such thing God.
And if I want my children to follow a guidance it will not be a guy who will burn them for thinking different or because they doing the goods for the sake of goodness not for God sakes, I think that is more crime than the worst crime in human history specially coming from a guy who supposed to be smart and knowledgeable like God.
But if my child asks me why not to steal I will say because it’s not yours, do you like somebody else take what is yours.

Yes, but it would be nice if they were taught along with Greek and Roman Mythology. Just call it Jewish and Christian Mythology. Or Mythology of the Middle East.

No. For starters it is a violation of church and state separation. All have the right to worship as they choose but interrupting academics to preach does not help society. Values and beliefs need to be taught at home.

Religious school is an oxymoron. School is for learning about reality, not being lied to. Keep religion out of classrooms

Teachers are in a position of authority. I would not not want my child learning a "truth" by someone who has an agenda. God and religion are non-issues in my family. We don't speak of it because it is not our truth. History of religions can be taught in high school when kids have a better ability think critically.

History of religions, fine. But not religions themselves. Teens are still impressionable. I remember my first real Hellfire-and-Brimstone encounter when I was 16, and it scared the shit right out of me.
Religion is mental and emotional poison and should be kept out of reach of children.

Rather than that if the same amount of energy is put on them to become more responsible citizens and how to cook, do banking, how to wash clothes, how to live on your own without being a bother on someone else, and how to stay happy without materialistic things, that life is more than a game from birth to death, things and life in the sense of whole would be way more creative and productive.

Religion should only be taught in school as it pertains to relevant history, social or cultural relevance when studying history, a society, or a culture.

I think the subject of comparative religions, their histories and how they impact our lives should be taught. Children will be subjected to all of this one way or the other and I think they should understand the deeper issues but not to be indoctrinated by religion, which is completely different.

JonR Level 2 Mar 18, 2018

Never. Period. Since religion is the single largest reason the world is so messed up, why would we start children off with that bs.

Teach one religion, no.Teach them "about" the religions of the world, yes.

No!!!!!

Absloutly not.

Only in College and only if it is elective or in one's major (I.e., comparative religions).

I wouldn't say teach religion, but I would teach about religion. It's history, the multiple types and factions, how its affected art and music.. but not actual theology. And any teaching about it should be balanced by secular alternatives.

If that's not possible then I'd say no, don't do it at all. Here in my state one religion (oo guess which? 😛) is taught as a graded class. And its an easy A. So basically if you belong to the church you get a free A. I can't nope hard enough.

Yes. In religiousschools

NO. Why would anyone here think that it should be taught in schools?

Either ALL of them or NONE of them.

Yes, but all religions should be taught as a survey class, like world religions in college. It's a good exercise in understanding how different cultures view the world.

Absolutely not, how can you teach a subject that has no foundation in truth or facts?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.