Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe. But they should be taught by a nonbeliever. A person such as the late Joseph would be a great religious instructor.

Absolutely not!!!!! We have put in our Constitution the right to have the church separated from the church. I am completely ok with a religious class only if all religions are studied.

In a World Religion or philosophy class, OK, but not as science.

No , religion should not be teached in school, i don't believe in god, but i respect those who believe in it, anything that bring serenity and good values to a person is good, even if it's not real, movies are not real but some people identify themselves to a movie, religion should be teached at home or in churches, i don't think religions are bad, i see it as point of reference on how to behave toward others,

School should emphasized more on science, if you ask me, but they're should also be a class to teach children good values, empathy, acceptance of the differences and a sense of community

and another reason why religion shouldn't be in school is the fact that there is more than one religion, the state should not favor one religion over the others

• Danny from Montréal

Only as an elective, and an overview of all major religions should be covered. I personally would be interested in the history and philosophy of religions.

Maybe history and philosophy of religions.

World religions, I think, should be taught dispassionately in history and/or sociology classes, and I think it should go deep, and I think various philosophies that had a demonstrable impact on society should be covered in depth. When children at relatively young ages learn that the doctrines of their parents have competition, they are less likely to consider any single superstition to be superior to another.

In schools they fully fund with their own money? Sure
Public schools? Absolutely not

we live in a society..between people believing in many things that was taught to them by their elders and was always told to not cross question them cos its disrespecting, (or maybe they didnt have answers to our questions).....schools play an important role in a kids life to learn many things....should religion be taught in schools? : i say teach to question them..

Not unless they teach ALL of the main religions, since this is a secular country.

No- Separation of church and state. It also bothers me that churches and religious groups get "tax exempt" status, which is a real scam.

This question must be qualified. If what is meant by teaching religion in schools is to proselytize the students, or if just one religion is being taught, I reject it vehemently. However, if religion is taught as a phenomena that humanity has devised to try to explain certain unknown events, that's fine. It is also fine if the history and basic beliefs of the various religions are shared as part of history, I have no problem with that. The problem is that most of the time when the question is asked if religion should be taught in schools, it is usually so that a particular religion, and even a particular version of that religion is being attempted to be taught. This I would oppose.

Comparative Religion is a great course and available in some colleges with an enlightened Philosophy department and taught with no favoritism in presenting. History of Religion. And courses that feature readings by Joseph Campell are great. Not likely coming to any k12 in America anytime soon.

No. Any mention of religion should only be done as a parenthetical reference as an addition to a history or poitical discussion.

No no no what do we have churches for they do not pay taxes why should they be allowed a public forum,or government sponsored indoctrination

KICKN Level 5 Nov 6, 2017

NO! Thats what church is for.

I believe that religion should be taught in schools as another factual class. Religion class should explain the various religions in the world. I do not expect religion class to practice religion nor to try to convert children to one religion or another. Children should learn religions so they will be able to understand religious people better. They will develop more compassion and empathy for people the more they understand how other people live and believe. There have been wars forever for religious reasons. The thing that will bring more peace in the world is education, and education concerning the religions in the world is important.

I actually believe religions SHOULD be taught in public schools, but only as an Anthropology-type study of all religions, to show their fallacies & hypocrisies. If we taught all religions TOGETHER, as a topic of human development, from ignorance and moral control, to educated and benevolent freedom of society, then kids will grow up knowing how ridiculous believing in gods is.

Teaching about religion and religious training are two very different things. No, to training/indoctrination. A very loud YES to comparative and interdisciplinary teaching to understand how religion influences us. For example, I remember learning in science class about how prevailing religious perspectives shaped science, and holy shit...do you know how many HUGE scientific discoveries were made by monks?? Lol

All or none. None is my choice.

Religious Education should be taught that covers all of the worlds religeons without bias on any religeon taught.

In a comparative religions class or in historical context? Yes, of course. Ignoring religion as a part of the shaping of society and people would be ignorant. But taught as doctrine? Absolutely not.

The only religion that should be taught in school is the history of it and it's impact mankind. Definitely not the fictional stories in the book.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.