Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If religion must be taught in schools, teach it in a reading class along with the other fairytales.

It's appropriate to teach religion in the context of history. The history of the European middle ages is largely the history of the Catholic church. Islamic history has shaped the Middle East. Confucianism influenced the development of Chinese culture. If you go back to ancient history, like the Babylonians or Egyptians, there was no separation between religion and state.
I suppose that was a little off topic in regards to the original question. If you can teach mythology, you can teach about "religion." Exposure to many philosophies helps an individual form her own ideas, and not be as easily brainwashed.

IF religion is being taught in school as history, as mythology, as literature, or as comparative religion for sociological learning, then yes.
Religion ought not to be taught as a FACT in a public school, where the attendees are forced to listen, no matter what religious tradition, if any, their family adheres to.

Religion is free to teach its tennets in its churches, temples and its own schools.

Yes. Religion as a subject, as history not as science. Like art or music or literature.

I couldn't agree more. it is part of the human lifestyle like it or not.

Only if it is taught right along with all religions and mythology.

Oh hell no! I survived Catholic School indoctrination and would never wish that on any child. Religion is brainwashing, plain and simple. I believe in parents rights, but to force religion in school children is absurd. Who's religion? The dominant one, the most useful one for authority, or a hodge podge of superstitious nonsense?

More science and less fantasy of heaven or hell in our schools!

I personally feel that religion should be taught at home not in schools. I was raised catholic in catholic and the only thing I got out of it was guilt! Glad that my son and daughter in law have chosen not to brainwash my thing babies. I hate the idea that kids grow up feeling like they are being watched and judged constantly! I want them to learn to make decisions on their own, to be fearless and not just go along with the lemmings!

If you do that, then you got to teach as many as you can. The fact of the matter is religion had a very important part in shaping our world as we know it. For good or bad. So the topic itself deserves discussion in historical contexts.

Should we teach kids to be religious? That's an entirely different matter, and I would say no.

It depends on the school. I attended a catholic high school for 1 year and it sent me on my journey to becoming an atheist. Personally I think that all religions should be taught in school but not until the students are old enough (as well as mature enough) to understand and ask questions.

I agree. Since religion(s) have been a big part of human development, they should be taught in school, but not practiced in school. A thorough, complete overview of theology should be taught, including all the views expressed on this website and many others. It should include that many people consider themselves agnostic or even atheist because they don't like what religion does to people (besides it being a fairy tale). Religion, for the most part, uses fear to attempt to drive people to love. Now, if that is not insanity, I guess I don't know what insanity is. That needs to be taught. It needs to be taught that for a lot of people, the concept of "god" is like that of the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, or even Santa Claus. After a thorough review of the history of theology and world religions, then anyone is free to adopt whatever belief system they choose. Yes, RonnieD, "Teach them many religions and you inoculate them." Very well said. Thank you, Unknown.

Yes, but objectively in the same sense that I learned about Greek/Roman mythology when I studied Latin.

Only if they are taught about ALL religions.

Yes, but only in the context of history and sociology and teach them all by highlighting the differences in the different religions.

I observed my son attended a lot to Church. I was Divorced already. I never questioned his mother why so much... the Truth and Reason... Because that was where all the Girls were and him and his buddy will always be invited to the coolest girls birthday parties for that reason... Warmed my heart to know my son attended church on a Mission. I don't mind the exposure as part of a rounded education. The strong mind will not be brainwashed. I don't mind the offering for the sake of a Full Formation. Even if later in life will be considered a waste of time... Can help in the formation of a Good Citizen. My Humble Opinion.

Absolutely religion should be taught in schools, not as an indoctrination, but as a way of teaching kids to think critically and avoid magical thought.

"Should it?" isn't really the important question here. Yes, I think it should, but ALL religions should be taught. By someone with no bias towards or against a specific one. There are ALOT of religions out there, And I think being knowledgeable about them is important. If someone changes their beliefs, then whatever. If someone decides to go Agnostic because there's just TOO MANY of them? It's whatever. Teach ALL of the religions, or at least introduce them all. It'll at least broaden their horizons.

Religion should be taught in school from a historical point of view and by taking a look at all religions and not focus on one. Definitely with a purpose to show the evolution of them and the impact they've had and continue to have on society and as well as to promote critical thinking. It should never be the purpose to promote religion in any way but to allow people of all walks of life to think and decide by themselves if it's something worth believing in after being viewed with a critical eye.

All religions or none.

I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state.

If it were to be taught as "just another subject" I see no issue. In other words, if the context of the course was "Ok children, this is a course about religion. We will learn about God, Odin, Zeus, Allah, and all other fables and myths that mankind has created throughout the years." Then, I would not have any issue with it. There is no absolute religion as there is no absolute god. Forcing any specific religion and its deities upon children is indoctrination, not education.

Religious Education should be taught that covers all of the worlds religeons without bias on any religeon taught.

I believe that religion should be taught in schools as another factual class. Religion class should explain the various religions in the world. I do not expect religion class to practice religion nor to try to convert children to one religion or another. Children should learn religions so they will be able to understand religious people better. They will develop more compassion and empathy for people the more they understand how other people live and believe. There have been wars forever for religious reasons. The thing that will bring more peace in the world is education, and education concerning the religions in the world is important.

No. Any mention of religion should only be done as a parenthetical reference as an addition to a history or poitical discussion.

This question must be qualified. If what is meant by teaching religion in schools is to proselytize the students, or if just one religion is being taught, I reject it vehemently. However, if religion is taught as a phenomena that humanity has devised to try to explain certain unknown events, that's fine. It is also fine if the history and basic beliefs of the various religions are shared as part of history, I have no problem with that. The problem is that most of the time when the question is asked if religion should be taught in schools, it is usually so that a particular religion, and even a particular version of that religion is being attempted to be taught. This I would oppose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.