Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

OK to teach religion in private religious schools. OK to teach religion as history, culture, or literature in public schools. But, for heaven's sake, never teach religion as science anywhere. It makes a fraud out of religion and a joke out of science.

All Unitarian Universalist sunday schools teach religious education & now sex education.

Absolutely big no. Because when you teach a children not to do wrong because something call God will punish them then they will do the wrong things when they found there’s no such thing God.
And if I want my children to follow a guidance it will not be a guy who will burn them for thinking different or because they doing the goods for the sake of goodness not for God sakes, I think that is more crime than the worst crime in human history specially coming from a guy who supposed to be smart and knowledgeable like God.
But if my child asks me why not to steal I will say because it’s not yours, do you like somebody else take what is yours.

In an ideal word kids could be taught about religion but there's always that guy or girl who insists that there religion is taught but when someone else's religion is being discussed they don't want to hear it.

Comparitive religion; sacred texts influence on art, literature, music, etc.; the history of religions; religions & their cultural, political, social effect; how religion has influenced philosophy; any subjects such as these are valid. Teaching just one religion, from one book (such as the bible) Is anathema to our Constitution & the formation of critical thinking skills.

From a sociological point of view I think it's necessary. For good or ill, religion has always been a driving force in the world

World religioous theory should be taught all theories linked to the subject should be taught and discourse open and thought provoking

In my school I had to take religion classes. I used the class time to do assignments and other homework and I was not alone in this. It was such a waste of time. However, the class would not go into the juicy parts of the bible such as God appearing in a dream to Joshua and Joshua was told to attack some town and to kill everything on sight but leave just the young women for Joshua and his army. There is nothing to interpret. It is very clear to the reader. Religion class was just a waste of time and money as it was a private school. This was a Catholic school. The Protestants would give you a slightly different angle. In short, whose interpretation of religion the right one.

I believe science or history classes should include specific elements that briefly describe the tenets of 'Scientific Creationism' and demonstrate the forms of dishonesty and disinformation. Sadly, I doubt science teachers are capable of doing this. Indeed, quite a few are Creationists themselves. I believe it is important that students understand that religionists in our culture have sough to sabotage the search for truth and knowledge.

Should religion be taught in schools? Thta is a good question and complicated question to answer. I think if religion is taught is schools its needs to be all of them, not just Christianity.

It is difficult to get a clear picture of history without also studying the history of all religions.

I believe public schools should teach about different world religions with such details as what each religion believes and their history, but none should ever be presented as factual because none are.

Religious knowledge definitely should be, assuming the courses include knowledge about secular humanism.

We do not politically indoctrinate children and rightly despise regimes that do so, this does not mean that we do not teach about the existence of political philosophies and ideologies in school nor do we discourage the voluntary study of them in personal time when of an age to fully comprehend it.
By the same token...
The existence of religions in the world and their effect upon it historically and socially should be taught in school, since it is factual and pertinent, however the practice, doctrines observance and proselyting of religions has no place in educational establishments.
Churches are the place for such study if it is desired, by adults or those of a mature enough disposition to comprehend it.

Yes! Just a general overview of what each believe, and demonstrate how many use similar terms but the terms may mean something different for each. Since religion is so influential we should allhave a basic knowledge in irder to communicate effectively and see tgw common threada

Students should be taught about religion and it's origins and history and the basic beliefs of the various religions. But it should not be taught as any sort of truth.

In a Christian school, yes, in a public school....HELL no! (pun intended)

Hell no.

If they do, they better respect all religions. The witches, devil worshipers and the whole nine yards.

You raise an interesting point, who decides what is a "proper" religion and what is not?

I recall a movement in the UK in the 1980s to ban children from attending spiritualist church meetings on these grounds claiming it was tantamount to abuse, suddenly churches and religions that had condemned spiritualism as satanic banded together to defend it, realising what the establishment of such a precedent would do to their own congregations.
Nothing ever came of the movement.

Yes, but it would be nice if they were taught along with Greek and Roman Mythology. Just call it Jewish and Christian Mythology. Or Mythology of the Middle East.

No. For starters it is a violation of church and state separation. All have the right to worship as they choose but interrupting academics to preach does not help society. Values and beliefs need to be taught at home.

Religious school is an oxymoron. School is for learning about reality, not being lied to. Keep religion out of classrooms

Teachers are in a position of authority. I would not not want my child learning a "truth" by someone who has an agenda. God and religion are non-issues in my family. We don't speak of it because it is not our truth. History of religions can be taught in high school when kids have a better ability think critically.

History of religions, fine. But not religions themselves. Teens are still impressionable. I remember my first real Hellfire-and-Brimstone encounter when I was 16, and it scared the shit right out of me.
Religion is mental and emotional poison and should be kept out of reach of children.

Not with public funds. Unless one teaches all of them as per RonnieD

Yes. The more you know about religion the less believable it becomes.

To you and me...
But I still see way too many wacky jobs head over heels over God

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.