Agnostic.com

28 0

Are you willing to move away from your family if you ever have to for a job?

By Goodharwell5775
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Watch how fast I pack my stuff if I get offered a job in another area!

I did.... moved from Canada to Texas in order to get critical care experience as an RN. In Canada I would have needed five years of experience on a medical unit before being considered for a specialty. In the US, you can go directly into a specialty with minimal or unrelated experience.

My father did as well. He moved from England to Canada as a Chemical Engineer, didn’t see his family for a decade.

Do you regret the move?

@Shouldbefishing I'm curious about that as well

@Shouldbefishing I did at first. Cried for weeks. I was alone in a very conservative place. I met up with bunch of canucks and I began to thrive. Never planned to stay here more than a few years. @aspiringunicorn

Hmm, mayyybe. What kind of job are you offering and what does it pay?

I did 20 years in the Navy... Do That Answer Your Question?

I'm doing it this month! I am moving to GA. My brother is here tho but all the rest of my family in MO.

most welcome. I hope you will love it here

I've moved away from family because it was Tuesday. smile002.gif

Lol

I am no longer willing to have a job, lol. However, I have a gypsy soul and it doesn’t take much encouraging to get me to go anywhere. Don’t ever invite me, unless you mean it.

Me too ?

Yes, I have. My job sometimes requires that I work in other states for indefinite periods of time. My kids are grown and all on their own. And there are airplanes.

CaroleKay Level 8 Jan 10, 2019

I spent 6 years in the Army, yes I moved away from family. My ex was military, we moved frequently and rarely lived around any family. I am currently searching for a job, but it will be within the metro area. All my kids live within 30 minutes of where I do. I'm not planning to move unless it would be closer to them.

i already did. i moved to california, not even for a specific job, when my folks still lived in maryland. they lived in florida when i moved to japan (and stayed for a decade). or by family do you mean as in your wife/husband, kids, etc.? no, if i had such a family i would take that family with me.

g

genessa Level 8 Jan 11, 2019

Desperate people do desperate things, but for me it'd be a last resort.

It's one of the reasons I have a portable job ... I just need an Internet connection and I could be working from the North Pole if I had to. My wife is the same. That has afforded my family the flexibility to live wherever we wish to, and on occasion, to travel while working.

mordant Level 8 Jan 10, 2019

Sure - I’m living 2 weeks in 3 in Zurich right now: family is back in the Channel Islands

It’s not ideal but it needs to be done... It’s easier to do now with video calling. But I miss them pretty badly

My only family is the folks and a brother so I have.

I have, but it is always with a heavy heart! I always battle with the idea of leaving and missing out on all the special times or making better money!

AArealist Level 4 Jan 10, 2019

Yep. Done it. Not sure I'd do it again. Kids are grown and away, and I really like where I live.

Byrdsfan Level 8 Jan 10, 2019

I've been away from my family for over 30 years, and yes, it was for work.

BlackDove Level 7 Jan 10, 2019

You excite me but Wyoming is too cold. smile001.gif

@DenoPenno It's actually been a pretty mild winter so far, but I think we're supposed to get some snow tomorrow.

I’m a truck driver so yes once every week

48thRonin Level 8 Jan 10, 2019

Yes, I moved away from my family for my job.

This isn't an issue as I live alone.

And have you loved it all this while.

I did, and it wasn't for a job. The way I see it, I'm an adult and can do what I want.

kiramea Level 7 Jan 10, 2019

Sure why not

oldFloyd Level 7 Jan 10, 2019

I can relocate to job that pays $180k+.

Which job will pay 180k$+ for a month ?....Lol

@Goodharwell577 the job I do pays sometimes $180k
I’m okay with $130k now.

You should def move.

@darthfaja have enough. Don’t need even that much. It’s a move to Atlanta where less likely I’ll enjoy living. I tried South Carolina once. All summer indoors night and day isn’t for me.
I do feel much better in cooler climates. Today 24 and snow ❄️. It’s much better than 104.
Ohio is substantially cooler. My moves I limit to northern Midwest

@Morganfreeman whoa !!!....you are good to go

No, my kids are young, my marriage went tits up and contact is the absolute priority smile001.gif

ipdg77 Level 8 Jan 10, 2019

Tit's up? Is that anything like dick's down?

@Wildflower Lol

I don’t live with my family
I’m free to move or to stay
I don’t xown home, but do own nice bus in case if I need to stay remot

My family moved away from me . Just before my 19th birthday , my parents and brother moved to Bermuda . I made the tragic mistake of getting married , instead . Decades later my children moved off on their own . When I retired , my brother wanted me to move to Florida where both he and one of my daughters were living . I saw the writing on the wall , so moved to Texas instead .

Cast1es Level 8 Jan 15, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:262897'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!