Agnostic.com

53 2

At what age should children be exposed to religious instruction?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Instruction? Not from me. Education and exploration? Any time.

Children should NEVER be exposed to religious instruction.
They should be taught that ALL religions are myths.
Just like Ancient Egyptian, Roman, Greek, and Norse mythology.

My grandson, who is seven next month, has some in depth discussions with his mother during the walk to school. On religion he has made up his mind that he does not believe in god, and that Jesus may have been a real person but if he was real he was just a man that people told exaggerated stories about.

Religious instruction? Never.

Religious studies? Early. I home school and as we study different cultures we also talk about their religion(s) and religion's role in shaping that culture. We discuss whether or not people still believe those things. We volunteer in our community and discuss why we do it (good human'ing) vs why some others do it (fear of hell/punishment) and what they believe. Having broad religious knowledge is the anti-dote to religion.

I'll join the chorus: Never!

I'd like children to be exposed to religious history, but as history, not instruction, so the history and practise of religion is known to them, all the stuff the religions hide or ignore.

ninety-six. at that age they need a good laugh.

g

Never?

They should understand the impact religion has had on history and why it shouldn't be a part of our modern societies. 🙂

Children should be taught about religion as soon as they are capable of understanding. Religious instruction is another thing all together; it's a form of child abuse from which they should be shielded.

I tend to agree on this,

I raised 3 children and sent them all to a Baptist pre-school AND AWANA, which is sort of a religious weekly camp on Wed. nights. Now, why would a devotedly Atheistic mother do such a controversial thing?? So my children would have an understanding of religion. I wanted them to be exposed so they could make their own EDUCATED opinions later on in life, see. One does believe in God, the other 2 are atheists and they got their beliefs for themselves. I taught all 3 to think on their own and reason things out. Why my son believes in God baffles me but sobeit. Good for him and more power to him.

the damage can be done by piers who have been brain washed from birth. I know its your choice but be aware ofthe damage it might do. They might be the next kirk cammoron

Children should never be exposed to religious instruction. The only exposure should come in a history class.

Or English classes when reading myths ?

Best learned when dead.

Really never! If someone wants to know about this subject they should experince life first

Never! This should be considered a human rights violation.

@RavenCT Yep, new activity is indeed kicking posts to the homepage. I don't like it.

@bingst That is fascinating. And is rife for problems. Well and for absolute misuse.

I do not believe children should be introduced to religion before they are old enough to reason, old enough to know what proof is and to use common sense to form opinions. For my kids that was bout 8-10 years old. When they know that what they see on TV is not real.

When they are adults, and possibly less susceptible to indoctrination. However, I think it is more prudent to
teach them science, reasoning, and ethics instead of religion.

Never

When they are able to absorb and tell the difference between fact and religious fiction BUT definitely NOT in ANY Public Schools what-so-ever.

Never, But WTF am I thinking about this ever coming to fruition. If they were married in a church then it a dead end for ever seeing anything change.

Preferably never.

Child abuse is illegal at any age, isn't it?

at one time it because just abuse then elder abuse!

Religious instruction no, religious history yes.

The problem with religious history is that it is too intertwined with myths trying to pass for facts.

@KashFigueroa That is part of its history and should be pointed out. That is true with Ameican history. It is full of myths. This is probably true of most countries history and the way it is taught.

Exposed or indoctrinated? Exposure is almost unavoidable and is just part of life. Indoctrination is another whole thing.

godef Level 7 Feb 17, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.