Agnostic.com

10 1

What does religion teach today that is backwards?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anything related to the roles and rights of men and women, mostly. And anything related to sex (I'll admit an exception for the Kama Sutra of the hindu faith as it gives a lot of otherwise good advises).

MarcO Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

I agree with all the post to this point, but my biggest issue with religion is how corrupt it makes people. For all those theists that think any "soul" (whatever that is) deserves eternal damnation, suffering, and pain because Adam ate a damn piece of fruit placed there by God to test him for something he knew was going to happen, is utterly obscene. Our only out is to believe a book shown to conflict with everything we know scientifically about the formation of the Universe. I need to overlook that and then accept that an unverified Jewish rabbi was born of a virgin, had magical powers, died on a cross, went to Hades to pick up "figurative" keys so that Christ can lockup the bad souls and free the good souls. He then returned three days later. This I must believe without any evidence? If not I'm sending myself to hell? Well as Mr. Christopher Hitchen's would say. "I'm going to be talked to in this manner"

Absolutely nothing.
We all know that torturing billions forever because 1 person eat an apple is 100% benevolent. That being complicit in the murder of an innocent person, to get pardoned, is the ultimate morality. Praise be to him who created all things, especially for his greatest work LUCIFER.
LOL

Sarcasm to prove a point. Very efficient.

Pretty much everything.

Draco Level 6 Sep 24, 2017

I could spend the entire day and part of the next stating what is bacwkards with religions (aka the bible). From being killed for working on the sabbath, to the fact that burning flesh is pleasing to god. Note the intentional error in the first sentence.

how about,
A bastard can not go to be with the Lord for 10 generations. it is cruel stupid to believe a kid that the parents not married is less than another kid that the parents are married.
Of course no married, no divorce, no money for the city and the priest.

LAMO

Religion, then and now, is the biggest stumbling block to human development and progress. It teaches "thou shall not kill" yet fanatics kill in tne name of their god.

one page say do not kill ,in another say kill them all, but not the virgins.

Tonia, pardon, what about the virgins, could you please elaborate on that?

Fear.

It proves the vast majority of humans are sheep, they do not think for themselves.

correct, they are followers not leaders.

"talking is cheap, people follow like sheep" from Silence Is Golden

Well i think most religion takes things backwards because if you view the world as having a divine creator then everything has a purpose. Metals and ores are underground because god knew we wouldnt need them until later. Trees are green because green is pleasent to the eye, etc. the arguments vary and those may not be Good examples, but the point is that if God created/manages the universe your view on the science of how and why things work must change in accordance.

I think pretty much everything religion teaches is backwards.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.