Agnostic.com

20 3

Psychology

Do you think those deemed mentally ill should feel embarrassed for symptoms they suffer from?

Truthandeffort 5 Mar 4

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Embarrassment is a reaction. It's a cue that something's wrong. Should they be embarrassed? Not necessarily but that might be part of the illness. More importantly, one should not be shamed for being mentally ill.

And who is labelling? Who is it that is saying this or that person is mentally ill? It was recently suggested to me not to say, "I'm mentally ill". Is mental illness the affliction that disables a human to help themselves through a recovery? Or, are there individuals who have mental issues, e.g. compartmentalization. Whether someone needs medication to help them or not, the idea from ignorant people that it is a matter of "choice" (like being homosexual), and we should just "get over it" is BS! We, who have mental/emotional issues walk and talk and have different levels of relationships with others. I've been in and out of psychotherapy since the age of 15, I just celebrated my 70th birthday. I've worked with a Masters of Social Worker, LCSW's, a Psychologist, classically trained psychoanalysts (Freud's theory passed along through his daughter, Anna), and now someone trained in Object Relations, namely Freud's theory refined by W.R.M. "Ronald" Fairbairn of Tavistock clinic in London (where Freud came after leaving his native Austria to avoid the Nazi's) and brought to the US by David and Jill Scharff (co-founders of the International Psychotherapy Institute). What really gets under my skin is the idea from some religious, not all, that I should get religion and all my problems would go away. UGH!! Embarrassed? Shame? No way!

No.

Never.

That's akin to expecting people who have physical outliers - exceedingly tall or short, heterochromia, extra digits, etc. - to feel embarrassment. Mental health conditions can be controlled for many, be it behavioral therapy or medications.
Making others feel embarrassment over something they did not choose is little different than bigotry.

There are people out there who will judge and blame those with mental illness for their problems but I think most of us are harder on ourselves than anyone else would dream of being. I talk to myself a good bit,particularly when I am deep in some task or other. A friend and co-worker heard me one day and absolutely laid into me,lol. He pointed out that I would never say the things I say about myself when talking about someone else.

Hell no! I manage my schizophrenia well, and live on my own, have a job and healthy relationships.

The brain is an organ. I think some people have a difficult time grasping that. Should the mentally ill be embarrassed? No, but those who continue to stigmatize mental illness should.

No, however I have seen very bad behaviors that are somewhat controllable in some disorders that people should feel remorse for. Some people that have mental disorders already feel bad about their symptoms, embarrasment is not helpful. An example is If someone can barely get out bed, get dressd and comb thier hair because they are extrmely depressed, thay are not to blame nor should they feel bad about it.

Should I be embarrassed about these scars on my abdomen?

Fuck you, if you replied, "Yes".

I would guess I had more than you my stomach is like the start of a noughts and crosses game. I am only not embarrassed because there would be little reason for them to be seen.

@jacpod I see no reason to be embarrassed, even if they were visible.
You survived whatever caused the scars. You should be proud.
Same as someone battling mental illness.
Illness i's difficult, sometimes admitting that you are I'll is the hardest part. Seeking help is brave. No one should be made to hide their scars.

@Truthandeffort Correct me of I'm wrong, but are they not one in the same? Am I over simplifying?
I tend to do that.

@Truthandeffort Please clarify. I'm afraid that I do not understand your question.

Do I, "think it wise to battle a broken leg, or flesh wound, or third-degree burn, or heart disease, or kidney failure?"

Battle an injury? As in, go against the injury itself?

Or did you mean enter into a battle WITH any of the aforementioned ailments?

@Truthandeffort Perhaps the term, "struggle" is more accurate?

What kind of an ass would answer yes to that question?

No I have a dx of D.I.D I manage really well and have someone I can test out my position on who wouldnt dupe me in any way so I have people who I can go to if I am under pressure as well as my doctor and a group practise counsellor. I seem to have outgrown it quite a lot as alters rarely put me in a spin these days. I do have responses to loud noises though and once when pushing my baby under a railway bridge a train thundered over the top and I screamed and ran - then had to do the walk of shame back to collect her. (That was probably the worst)

@Truthandeffort .She's a counsellor attached to the 'group practise' of 'general practitioners' (G.P.s) /(doctors ) in the health centre , that I attend - So maybe about 10 doctors in the centre 5 in each practise; In the health centre there are 2 sets of Doctors surgeries; and other people like the ones who take blood or check your blood pressure and in the offshoot buildings there are places for people who have M.S. and people who have mental health problems.

@Truthandeffort - In a room at the health centre, It used to be a hospital so there are rooms available .I see a counsellor there, she's in private practise herself ,so I could pay to see her at her house, but when she got the hours at the health centre she moved me over to there . She sometimes gets moved around when other things are more important like the Dr's wanting to meet - so sometimes ,we meet in an empty dr's surgery. theres usually somewhere free to be private

Not embarrassed, but aware..

Varn Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

If you have one leg... would you refuse to hop?

Absolutely not.

Should? Of course not. Do we? Of course. This is a pick yourself up by your bootstraps, blame the weak as failures culture.

what country are you in just interested about what culture -

@jacpod I'm in the US. @Truthandeffort Generally no.

no

Do I? No. But "should" is a slippery, hard to pin down idea. Many people absolutely will feel embarrassed, regardless that they "shouldn't." Social opinion will pile on. Society seems to view mental health as if it were merely a matter of discipline and self-control, as if all people could avoid mental illness by just making responsible choices. Not so.

Culture has an effect in many subtle and multi-layered ways.

@Truthandeffort I am sorry, but I don't quite understand the intent of that last question: "...given the state of our healthcare system."

Why on earth should anyone feel embarrassed for symptoms of an illness?
Perhaps I'm not understanding the question.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.