Agnostic.com

21 1

What's your opinion on Deism?

Do you believe it is just as irrational as being full-on religious, or no?

anonymous 7 Apr 10

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The idea of pure deism is more appealing than religion with all the wild tales and dogma, but it’s ultimately not something I would believe in.

Deism, theism - Very irrational, it drove me insane for 30 years and made on no sense to me no matter how much I believed, listened to them, obeyed, and practiced. It fucked me up again and again.

So I set my child free not accept anything anyone tells but test all on reason and make own decisions. Enough of the senseless crap.

I believe deism is a sign of not reading enough, not thinking enough and not understanding yourself.

As in the inset, it's not only a personal relationship but intimate. Divine invigilation is God monitoring your most private thoughts and if you as much as "covet" your neighbor's wife you'll be tortured for eternity.

@Aristopus oh, no!

Deism, is in many ways just a sub-set of agnostic, I call myself an atheist, but also a board church sceptic, because, not only do I know in my agnostic brain, that I can't disprove god; I also know that deism is for many people just a staging point on the journey out of religion and its dogma, and the big division lies between dogma and sceptisism, the divisions within which are small by comparison.

Those believers aren't as dangerous - No starting of wars for their god(s).

Just the same, with a different name. Hey, it rhymes!! Lol

Deism is a form of "insurance". Humans fear the inevitability of death. Thus, they cling to religion, in the hopes of an afterlife. If they have come to shun orthodox religion, they proclaim themselves "deists" as a last resort. They refuse to accept the reality.
John Wilkes: "Life can then little else supply but a few good fucks and then you die."

Yes, but not everyone stops at deism, some keep moving on from there in th right direction.

I consider myself a diest albeit an agnostic one. I'm open to the possibility the we are all here because of the work of a higher power. I don't claim to know that for a fact nor am I trying to convince anyone to think the same.

Fanciful Bullshit

I lean toward pantheism as a favored "god theory" but deism has many of the same myriad definitions; souls or no, reincarnate or rot,...; all with variations of some celestial being setting the machine in motion just to sit back and admire his work.

It worked for several US founding fathers so...

Think it is lacking facts and no proof relies on an imaginary aberration. I had run across an article that Ben Franklin was a deist It was most likely a lie concocted by the Christian author of the claim.

it was quite a popular stance at the time, and there is evidence he used it, whether or not he really believed it we cannot know. But he wasn't a Theist.

@Allamanda Looks like the like button is down again. Correct he argued in Congress that putting one deity above all the rest was an act of perjury. As we know he lost that argument.

It's the same bullshit but not quite as bad. If God just created life here and then took a hike, it's no better than the old God who refuses to do a fucking thing.

maybe he just never got around to checking on his handiwork.
maybe he gives a new form of life a million yrs or so to see how it turns out. lots of planets to check on.

@callmedubious Makes no difference. Either way He's (notice the capital H) a scumbag.

Less so.

Deism is just believing in some kind of higher power and those who call themselves Deists are just people trying to figure out an answer that makes sense. The way I look at it is that they don't see any made up god as a sensible one and can't quite yet let go of the idea that they don't need an imaginary friend to make them feel important...Have patience with them I just wish they could be effective prothlesizers we could use a few less Christians, Islamics, and Hindus in the world making a fucking mess about who was born into the right cult...

The appearance of deism opened the door to agnosticism.

Convenient because it allows more for the world that we can see. There's no one guiding everything. No all powerful always good god guiding every day. It's religion for agnostics that both want to believe and trying to make it fit reality. In the end it is trying to connect what they want irrationally to what they experience rationally. It's reaching for straws. Fitting in the if I don't know what happened god must have done it.

What would be the point in believing in a deity that wound the universe up, set it loose, and forgot about it?

None, but it is the only kind of diety which you can not prove to the point of reasonablity to be unreal.

@Fernapple I do not need to prove any deity to be unreal, the person claiming the deity is real is responsible for proving their claims.

I default to the position that deities don't exist until proven otherwise. I make no claims that they don't exist, I simply do not believe the claims of their existence until sufficient evidence is provided to prove that they do exist. That is the same position I hold for all mythological beings, fairies, Santa, dragons, wizards, elves, orcs, Roman gods, Norse gods, Abrahamic gods, etc.

@icolan Good logic.

bemused that this same question exactly is posted by another account 2 posts after yours

Religious freaks are testing and making a list of enemies of religion.

No opinion, no clue what it is.

Evidence, facts and data please.

Whether you believe in the superstitious bullshit of an established faith or the superstitious bullshit of an indeterminate faith it's all the same. There are no deities. Let it all go.

Yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:328463
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.