Agnostic.com

99 44

LINK We're on a road to destruction if we don't make changes. Some thoughts on outrage and an idea to get human.

I normally don't post commentary here as I try to stay neutral and behind the scenes. I have several goals in building this community - one of which is to help bridge the growing divide in society. My thought was if I could raise the view of non-believers in the eyes of religious people, it could help them humanize what they may perceived as bad people. That was one of my motivations in adding Humanism text here... to give us a shared vocabulary of "goodness".

As I expected, almost everyone who joined here was a good person who wanted to make the community a better place. However, I became disappointed in the way that the majority of members (who were left-leaning) treated the minority who are conservative in positions unrelated to religion. Before you say, "oh, they started it", please remember, I'm not picking sides but only observing that contempt is a dangerous thing - especially in groups of people. Many of our conservative non-believers have left in the last few months.

When couples are fighting, they often try therapy. The best predictor of divorce is whether or not the couple has contempt for each other. Make sense, as contempt can only build if the other person is dehumanized first. In society today, contempt has grown to a level unmatched since World War 2. Social media, which machine-learning algorithms optimize what people see by how effective the content is in creating outrage and contempt (as it increases revenue), is a major contributor to today's growing unrest.

This makes me think of how we can help improve things here. I realize that part of the fun many members have is jumping in a thread of some daily outrage posted by members who are tacitly encouraged to find the most outrage-inducing posts. It's a drug, pure and concentrated. While it was not our intention to become a pharmacy, we are.
It's more obvious when you scan the groups and imagine them as assorted drugs in a cabinet. Some come in extra-strength, 72-hour doses.

Aside from the normal admonishments of "hey, tone it down!", I want to help find another type of communication for members that is unrelated to a topic. I'm thinking of something like "hey, how are you doing?". Many sites have "status updates" where you can post temporary things that are at a single-human level instead of some external outrage at a 3rd person or group. It's hard to build contempt at another human being who is sharing their personal, intimate feelings. The weakness of status updates is that it only shows up to your friends and only if they're keeping an eye on you. I'm hoping that we could do better.

Here's what I'm thinking the "status update" feature would look like. On the main page, we put a tiny form for "How you feeling?" (or similar), it either opens a form or pops a small window for you to enter 120 characters or so. We then put that as a comment to a single post called, uh, "How you feeling?" and perhaps even display the last 10 or so on the main page. You are encouraged to reply KINDLY to these "comments" - even more than on any other posts. The member will get alerts when people reply to the status update.

What do you think? Are we on the right track? Other ideas?

Admin 9 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

99 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In an intoxicated for all World, avoidance of tyrannical violence and maintenance of wise Peace are global necessities. In order to avoid inquisitional forms (too many, aggressive questions), I propose to display a message in a form of friendly advice: "Terraprotective advice: Remember to be wise. Control of nerves and negative feelings is necessary for You and the other Co-terrians." #moralevolutionfirst #homosapienshomodeus #allhumanityforterraprotectivity #limitedtimeprecioustime #caresavesterra #protectivereasonnotdestructiveillusion #pandetoxificationisnecessary

tipi Level 7 Apr 28, 2019

Earthlings make love not war

The reality is we have reached the point of No Return!

Just like those who stated it can never happen here in 1933 Germany!

It is happening we will not know the outcome until it is too late!

It will change us wether we want it to or not!

Like death no one gets out alive!

In a finite World, All is finite, even Terrian Life. But let's not get excessive, apocalyptical, millenarist! We must save what we can. Let's be Terra Protectors, not Terra Destroyers!

@Noemi
Only fools go on and stay with a sinking ship!

Especially when they have done nothing to maintain it!

I can't say I'm much moved by this. For a start, there are conservatives and then there are conservatives. I was thinking recently that there were fewer posts now from the redneck "I hate lefties and government - except where it helps me" ) loony right wingers. I figured they were in their group reaffirning what they already know from right wing media. Now, not all conservatives fall into this category. I'm not going to pretend to care about what the first category thinks. As this is a place for free exchange of ideas, I'm not much moved by any notion, "be nice to the conservatives, dear, we don't want to hurt their feelings". If they are thoughtful conservatives, they can look out for themselves.

I think that a site like this should try to be as board as possible, because the one thing that would drive me away would be banal content, and because if there are people saying things I would find horrible, then I want to know about them and what they are saying. Part of the reason for joining was to learn about human diversity and hear things which challenge me.

But you can't please all of the people all of the time as they say, and it would be silly to bend over backwards to accommodate people who do not really want to contribute and would be happier elsewhere, you could easily go to great damaging lengths and then they go and make their own site elsewhere anyway.

I think . My perspective @admin for what it is worth acknowledging your goals of creating something different goes in a myriad of directions. Religious at least those fervent type will never change their opinion of the other ( whatever they are told that is) , one pathway we could take would be to encourage discussion on what world we wish to see. A think tank of ideas , try to agree on what we want collectively and advance argument or policy that would get us there(absent political labels). Once we proclaim ourselves liberal or conservative we exclude , become exclusive. I am not saying to change your personal life or world veiw , I am suggesting we leave those out of any forum or group where interactions you wish to encourage would take place. Having a place where people can be completely free to express "how they are feeling" will get empathy and compassion/support as needed from those who value those traits. I have read some stories on here and found myself unwilling to comment , at the same time glad to have heard what others experience.We have shared experience's in the one world. The present format I like but any improvement you want to try I guess its your vision so you have to pursue that. I try to go less is more if it aint broke don't fix it as a rule(not always successfully).
I have learned from this forum so thank you for doing .

Drumpf's MO is hate. There should be no tolerance of this. I don't respond to his minions because I don't want to give them any "points" here. Let hate remain level one and ignored. But I love my country too much to pretend that this is still the same liberal versus conservative dichotomy we are historically used to.

As more and more "conservatives" are leaving facebook and twitter they move to reedit Qanon and other places where a real Humanist would never find themselves welcome. I wonder why those of us who are sick and tired of their Lies and Malfeasance should accommodate their whining about their treatment here or anywhere. I also do not Troll conservative Groups here or else where as I believe they should not Troll ours and then decide they are somehow Victims of our words. Sorry I just don't get the point of enabling their behaviors as they Troll around looking for empathy they don't share with others.

@Bobby9 No where in my statement did I claim to be the abitor of who is and isnt a Humanist. Have a good day!

@JesseThompson My opinion automaticly defines your interpritaion of what I expressed. Yes I am the Arbitor for myself and how I filter others expressions. I offer that same Freedome to everyone and never tell someone what they are or not. I do not Judge your context as you are Judging mine. Enjoy this day..

Your comment is exactly why Admin wrote this post. The gang mentality on this site is ridiculous. No one likes bigotry but those who are the worst perpetrators turn a blind eye to their disgusting behavior.

I've received private messages from other members calling me a bitch and I don't belong on this site because I'm a conservative.

@ArtemisDivine WOW you seem to have jumped off of a cliff. Now you define "why" this post was written. Have a nice day...

@JesseThompson Well, I think it safe to say a humanist probably wouldn't be reading q-anon conspiracy theory nonsense about the secret society of child molesters that just happens to correspond to anyone a certain segment of conservatives already hates (including some conservatives). It's "Obama is a secret Kenyan" times a billion.

I remember when conservative groups first formed here, many of the left leaning morality police, for lack of a better term ATM, joined the conservative groups to "keep an eye on what they're up to" - direct quote - so they actually do have a point about being singled out. Ironic, kinda, considering what some policies they support do in singling out groups of people.

@1of5 Trolling is Wrong, I don't do it. Thats me I can only speak for myself.

@joe1334us not accousing you of it, just pointing out that in some instances it did happen to them - which I find amusing. It's like the old trope about "I don't want to be a minority because of how i treat minorities".

@1of5 what policies of singling out are you referring to?

@JesseThompson Good grief. I was pointing out the conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton, the Bushes, etc, are part of a "Deep State" cabal of child molesters that only Trump and his allies can thwart. I have no doubt that sex trafficking and sex slavery is very real, but that has nothing to do with crazy people who think Hillary was financing a child sex brothel in the basement of a pizza parlor that had no basement.

@1of5 I bet it did happen, I don't think that changing the Forum to accomadate the "minority" is going to help matters. Again these are just my opinions, take it or leave it, that is not up to me its up to others. As a person with plenty of social media presance and practice I have found as things like christianity die they scream the loudest and demand the most, perhaps "Conservatism" is dying as well?

@ArtemisDivine are you talking about on this site or conservative politics?

@joe1334us I hope certain aspects of it do. I feel the same way about aspects of the far left, too.

@1of5 conservative politics
Can we private message each other. I'm pretty sure that the original post wasnt meant for this discussion

@ArtemisDivine sure, if pm is actually working.

@JesseThompson Good grief.

@1of5 "joined the conservative groups to "keep an eye on what they're up to" - direct quote - so they actually do have a point about being singled out. "...
... i think we can both agree we got nutjobs on both the left and the right..
I still believe that is a small segment in the general tribe.. and yes, should have been dealt with better on both sides.
This is somewhat a new society, and we are learning as we go along..

@hippydog nutjobs in the center, too. I firmly believe somewhere between 15 to 25 % of people are nuts to some extent..

@1of5 " I firmly believe somewhere between 15 to 25 % of people are nuts to some extent.."

Lmao! That almost seems reasonable 😉

I am feeling in ADMIRATION of you dear ADMIN. Your quest to raise believer bars up for us Atheists Agnostics hUUmanists spiritual Cherokee New Age give peace a chance PEERS is most LAUDABLE....You my beloved ADMIN remind me of BILL BAIRD the only human to win 4 US Sup Ct cases all increasing freedom for condoms birth control=abortion rights/education.....he is/was on your same road with believers who would force all women to stay pregnant unto death.... a fools errand to make peace with enslavers.... also the left right dichotomy of liberals versus enablers of TrumpOLINIpence theocracy ....it is NOT TRUE to characterizing "conservatives" leaving because of non religious issues like gun control or universal health care insurance.....nor is it true to equate contempt as a drug/bad therapy....we Atheists should have contempt for genuine believers who bribe us with heaven and threaten us with eternal painful fire not consuming our flesh.... that said I AM an American 1st and an Atheist 2nd. My standard of citizenship that declares believers have a right to be wrong about beliefs just as I have the right to be free from theocracy...a neutral government standard of conduct neither establishing beliefs nor prohibiting beliefs....if you dear ADMIN can enroll global members of this COMMUNITY to take that neutral secular freedom pill YOUR GOAL will be achieved of making the world a less CONTEMPTIBLE place of lovers and singles

Comments on here are exactly why Admin wrote this post. The gang mentality on this site is ridiculous. No one likes bigotry but those who are the worst perpetrators turn a blind eye to their disgusting behavior.

I've received private messages from other members calling me a bitch and I don't belong on this site because I'm a conservative and a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment.

I left the sight for awhile because of the attacks but came back because of encouragement by another member. However, it's worse than before and it's truly disappointing how animalistic others behave.

For an entire group of people proclaiming they are freethinkers and respect other peoples opinions...its a joke.

I make a point to post links or articles supporting what I have to say but when most social media and online searches are left controlled it's very challenging.

Conservatives are far outnumbered on here. Liberals like to hurl insults, gang up on, belittle and try to humiliate. I'm not saying conservatives haven't jumped on that bandwagon because they have. It needs to stop on both sides...period. I'm not sure how you could effectively solve this problem.

There are many sides blue red green ....white black brown red yellow .....the blood in the global water causes many people to behave like sharks revenge killers martyrs and miracle prEyer spirits to claim holier than thou avoiding truth and Reconciliation

I have coined a term regarding the environment I live in and the people that live in it. "Happily Angry" They are sensitive and quick to feed into anything that let's them release their anger. It has caused me to exist on a plane of neutrality and promote a campaign of smiling. I think I'll begin posting it here and see if beginning the day on a good note can carry through. Let's all feel better. Stress is a killer of many. In between left and right is a middle.

I have found in all my jobs dealing with the public that an irrationally angry person will be defused 95% of the time if you are super kind (sincerely) and reflect none of their anger back at them. Depending on the person, being simultaneously super-rational also helps, but with certain people that backfires (as pointing out they are plainly wrong to be angry only makes them angrier). With some people who can ease into the rationality after you defuse the anger.

@greyeyed123 I tell people that folks like that are already in their own hell, why join them?

I'm suddenly reminded of the following quote: very fine people on both sides ....
and I'm now confused.

Indeed. And shifting the goal posts to advocates of "Civil War monuments" makes no sense either. They claim it is our history, and it is, but it is of those who were literally traitors. Those monuments were not built right after the war. No one would have allowed that! You don't fight a war against traitors, win the war, and then immediately let them built monuments to how they were traitors! All those monuments were built decades later (generally almost 100 years later!) during the civil rights movement to stick a thumb in the eye of black people. "You think you won the war? You think you're free? Remember the war we fought to keep you slaves! Remember when you were slaves!"

Give me a break. "Fine" people on both sides. Sure.

Biblical thinking has done such terrible damage to the human mind that the future of the entire planet is at stake. A lot of the damage is subconscious. Consider the commandment “Thou shalt not kill.” Really stupid and crazy. Nobody says anything when they put killers to their final reward. Same on the battle field. How come the government doesn't tell recruits if you'll join the Armed Forces there's a good chance you'll go to hell? In the ensuing chapters that Moses gives us the Sixth Commandment, God orders the killing of hundreds of people.

Religion stifles free thought. The teaches dichotomous thinking: just in Genesis night and day, left and right, good and evil, male and female, slave and free, plant and animal, Jews and gentiles, straight and gay. In nature, however, nothing is a hundred percent one way or the other. There are creatures that are neither male nor female (hermaphrodites), creatures that are neither plant nor animal (Euglena sp), almost all of us are good and evil at some time.

So when President W. Bush states, "You are either with us or with the terrorists," he is using Biblical thinking and soon after the country was at war. I'm a free thinker very much in favor of left-wing causes, but when Ted Bundy got his just deserts in Old Sparky, I felt the state was doing the right thing.

Like "The Highway to Hell"?

Firstly, I love the idea of a "How are you feeling" post. It's a positive message rather than negative and an opportunity to be honest and supportive.

On another note, I've stopped regularly participating in this group due to the negativity and constant criticism of my posts and comments. I have a bit of a conservative slant and I find that most people here are on the extreme left bordering SJW, a vocal minority which has taken over everywhere else. I was hoping to find a community that wouldn't judge when I signed up here, but that's simply not the case.

Everybody judges. It is our nature. Otherwise we wouldn't know who to trust, who to like, who to be wary of. We all do it every day.

Mine, first and foremost are appreciation; both for your attitude to facilitate good, honest communication and learning, and mutually, the frustration of seeing believers clashing with those saying things that cuse those beliefs to weaken in the face of reason. They aren't Left or Right exclusively and 'beliefs' aren't limited to theologies. Any 'ology' or 'ism' functions as effectively at captivating individual reasoning as a theology or other type of mythology.

Because it seems appropriate here as a partial explanation of WHY such hostility suddenly appears in what starts as a rational conversation, I'll again quote a clinical observation from 1949 that is, to me, a maxim.

"We observe that human thought systems show tolerance as long as they adhere to reality. The more the thought process is removed from reality, the more intolerance and cruelty are needed to guarantee its continued existence." Wilhelm Reich, M.D., (1949) 'Ether, God and Devil'

When divergent points of view both have unhealthy shares of myth or indoctrination at their foundations, intolerance and cruelty escalate to some very ugly levels. It happens that most 'Conservatives' embrace notions (isms) that are more theologically rooted than 'Progressives' who flaunt their isms proudly and get just as excited and agitated when their personal myths are questioned as any back-woods Pentecostal or dyed in the wool Baptist or Fundamentalist Muslim. Isms held close by the majority of Conservative group 'thinkers' are filtered out automatically by the very nature of this godless site. Add to that the aire present here of superiority of ideas held by those who've rejected gods but willingly abdicated their reasoning to other isms and I think the sources of hostility are clear for anyone, even some of the people themselves to see.

I'm in the political middle, playing position 'hop scotch' all the time, depending on the issue at hand. If there were more of those who identify as Conservative [articipating here, I'm sure the venom that is often cast would be about equal. As it is, because the majority is comprised of Left 'believers' it explains why so many people who are godless individuals yet better specimens of independent thinkers than most Conservatives, feel daunted and are warded-off. I'm as entertained and delighted by Jimmy Dore or George Galloway as Rush Limbaugh. I could as easily support a Tulsi Gabbard as (again) a Donald Trump, because PERSONALITY is probably the lowest priority involved in selecting which of only two people is better equipped to serve and protect our nation.

When our people make the choices instead of the financial, globalist and military-industrial interests, other political differences manifesting in different philosophies about how to better lives and self-govern can be hammered out later; when we've regained our primacy as 'we the people'; we the self-governors. Spoecial interests and old world centralized political structures are antithetical to our national nature; to our SHARED interest in making life better for ourselves.

Myths are scary things to give up, sort of like abandoning other addictions; especially when all we get from popular information sources is laced with mythical addictive substances.

Excellent, indeed. Well spoken.

WOW! Nice to see so much interest in this post. First, let me say this site is awesome!
I have had only few negative interactions with other members, sad to say they were all from the conservative members and I was blocked by a couple of them.

It is a 2 way street always and I do my very best to only use "I" statements. It never works to have a conversation by telling others things like "you do this all the time" or "you don't have a clue". Name calling, having to get in the absolute last word or denigrating others opinions are NOT good form for intelligent conversation. We can always agree to disagree but calling someone an asshole because their opinion is not your opinion closes the mind.
An example of I statement: " I feel, I think, I would like to say, My opinion is . . . ".

If you are a gop member, trump supporter or conservative why would you poke your nose into a group that is expressly for bashing your political views?
I will check out comments or posts in conservative groups but I do not comment or engage, I just want to see other sides to things. Even if I might agree it is not my political position over all or I am not a member so I can't comment.
I avoid the most intensely outraged posts, not my cup of tea.
A daily checking in could be very nice. Thank you for trying to improve the site and have a platform to hopefully educate non-believers and believers. We are indeed just struggling humans trying to get by the very best we can. Let your light shine!

The idea has merit so I think it's worth a shot. Let's implement it and see how it goes. We can speculate but the only way to know if it'll work as hoped is to try it.

I think you’re on the right track. I choose FB to argue politics and religion. That’s my page and people choose to friend me. On here I just enjoy conversing with people with similar if not the same religious views as I have and keep my piss and vinegar for my own FB page. This is a quiet haven for me. Let’s keep it civil here.

I like the idea of getting past all the vitriol, and I’m hoping we can all eventually find a way to do that. IMHO, we’ll be hard pressed to fix the world if we can’t even mend relations with each other. Whether we agree or not.

There are two conflicts identified here: so called conservatives who are Atheists feeling unwelcome by those of us liberating everyone from violent theocracy AND THE CONFLICT between believers and Atheists generally....calling the natural contempt a liberal feels for those defending oppressive systems AND THE NATURAL contempt Atheists feel for intransigent purveyors of cultish brainwashing hellfire damnation and senseless heaven bribes to believe....calling both " an addictive drug " is akin to calling Atheism a religion....the fundamental sense of wrong versus right is @ core here....we can proceed with a smile good humor loyalty to secular civility but not sanitize one side and villify the other... armed with the truth opposing evil is a duty not a misguided choice

I attempt civility the majority of the time. However, I am an theist and a liberal living in the heart of christian conservative territory. I spend my days biting my tongue because I don't need death threats, verbal abuse or losing my job. I am forced to stand up for what is right in a virtual world and in a very limited way in real life. If I get heated when someone puts forth ideas and attitudes that I know are harmful to groups of people, society, or those I love, I consider it perfectly acceptable. I live by the though that my rights end where yours begins. The only problem I have with people is when they think their opinion should be every one else's law.
No one should be able to legislate what goes on in another persons body.
Outspoken hatred and bigotry for people of color, women, and the LGBT community directly effects family, friends, people I love. Laws based on this hatred must be fought against.
Espousing views that in the end kill and harm people when they become policy or law is just not something that should be let to slide.

I try to be civil and respectful, but to think that an un-researched opinion is the same as a reasoned researched one is just wrong. i will change my mind on anything that has a proven track record, a proven-well-conducted study or double blind experiment. Prove to me I'm wrong and I'll jump on board. But don't expect people to sit idly by or simper and bow to ignorance while our friends and family are suffering and dying.

Right on!

Perhaps more of us can build coalitions for the greater good if we avoid proving each other wrong and pursue symbiosis co-existence and maybe emphasize dating romance and nurturing human love as many mammal societies do without money greed and rape to argue about

There are things I can rationally discuss and communicate with and even compromise with. Education, economics, gun laws, healthcare...

But there are things I cannot and will not tolerate or even humor.

And in my book, voting for someone who locks children in cages and bans people from the country for their skin color or religion, incites violence against people, refuses to work with anyone, and tries to take away basic human rights and decency, someone who shuns and insults our allies while snuggling with vicious enemy dictators...if you vote for them just because they support your economic or healthcare views, then you are not someone I can tolerate. You have clearly said that certain lives are worth less to you than your economic beliefs. That is unforgivable.

Now, I'm trying very hard to just block those that make me irrationally angry by being either the above or supporting the above. But I will not compromise with or tolerate people who believe basic human decency, human lives, and human rights are something that can be compromised.

Also a lot of people on the conservative side seem to forget that compromise means BOTH sides give up some and get some. It isn't a one way street.

I have to agree here...

Excellent post. Keep up the good work. 🙂

I'm not sure if that specific idea will be helpful but I wanted to say that this has been a very positive forum for me overall. Yes, there are problems but there always will be wherever humans are congregating. Thank you for providing this space. I'm sure your efforts to make it more congenial will pay off.

I've been more active on twitter lately and had to make a DM group that I called "we can be adults" because the group I was part of had a split because some people decided just because people didn't do things the way they thought it should be done and disagreed with them on some topics. We ended up being rape apologists, white supremacist apologists and transphobes all for the crime of agreeing with someone they didn't like and choosing to continue supporting a certain youtube channel. Anyway we haven't figured it out yet. I've had to unfollow a bunch of the people involved because of the hate they have been spewing. It makes me so sad I had considered them good friends."Guilt by association" that was the crime I had committed. Like you said some people just live for the fight and there is nothing that can be done.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:338178
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.