Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never had a religious moral code. I did not need one. Basically, i believe in Live and Let Live.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, it is a code that has existed since the advent of civilization, unlike many believe the abrahamic religions didn't invent ethics and morals, amerikkka today is all the proof I need that the abrahamic religions are morally bankrupt and ethically challenged.

To have fun and not hurt anyone.

Simple. Do unto others as I would have them do unto me. Doesn't matter to me if the golden rule is rooted in religion. It's a good rule. Covers almost everything in life.

I like to call my ethical code Optimistic Nihilism: Nothing matters so grudges are meaningless. Just try to make the best of it.

And I just noticed there is a Kurzgesagt video with that exact same name... Well, now I have something to watch.

I pretty much go by: be good in your thoughts and actions. Or, how would you like to be treated? I have posted a statement in my office, the author of which could be Ralph Waldo Emerson, or Frank Outlaw~Bi-Lo Stores, or anyone as probably in its base statement was less wordy... but ultimately:

Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors.
Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habit.

Ever since I am young, I follow my empathy. It doesn't need a training, school, church or any institution to learn empathy. It is a natural thing to feel good if you do good, and to feel bad if you do bad. People are born with moral compass, but many people allow their bad environment, bad experience, bad relationship twist their good moral compass

I follow "Don't be such a dick all the time", as taught by Jesus.

The non-religious replacement for "I'll pray for you" is "I am actively working on a method to effectively address that issue and solve it forever. But I need more funding".

None. I'm aware of right & wrong, like it's wrong to grab women by their "pussy", etc. and it's right to help out friends & others when they need it. It's right to have boundaries for myself so I don't get stupid & get used. Telling the truth is important, even if it makes people angry or even hurts their feelings. I get my feelings hurt when people "tell me what they think I want to hear" which always ends up being a lie. And so on.

The way this question is couched is almost offensive - I'm so tired of the presupposition that if you're not religious, you have no moral code or that it's somehow vastly different from a religious person's.
The main difference for me is that I care about people first - not my congregation, political party, my "tribe," or any other group I may be associated with. We have it within us to make the world better and to do what is right. A William Peter Blatty quote I have always loved is, "Every kind thought is the hope of the world."

I agree. Defining ourselves by what we are not seems to be a ridiculous way of doing so. Do religious people refer to themselves as "non-Atheist"? 😉

I didn't think about it before, but I do agree after reading your comment.

A religious moral code seems to be kill the opposition, been going on for thousands of years... morality at its highest

The Golden Rule.

The same moral code I have always had!
Treat every one as equals.
Harm no one if you can help it.
Help when you can.

Unfortunately to those around me, I don't tend to follow one. In some instances I might show empathy, but in most cases I'm kind of an asshole. Ok, I'm mostly an asshole. But for the people that look past my asshole-ness, they get to be around the best of who I truly am. As the adage goes, "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best."

The golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Every culture on earth has their own version of this.

It's called. Don't be a dick.

For me, any action or attitude is moral to the degree that it increases happiness and decreases suffering of sentient beings, and vice-versa.

Simply try to treat everything the way I would want to be treated while trying to act in a way that I don't think I'll feel different about when looking back.

My own.
I am a social animal and as I do not live alone on a desert island, I have to get along with those that I share this planet with. I generally base my morality on 'How would I feel if someone did that to me?'
I would like to be free to make choices that are in my best interest, but to make things work best, my choices should not be detrimental to the wellbeing of others.
Not always easy and often subjective, but that's what I love about life.
Humans work best when we work together and care about each other.

And the question assumes I was once religious. As far as I can remember I have always been an atheist. 🙂

In simple terms it would be based on science and reason alone. I would ask myself is there any evidence to say this (any moral question you can think of) is a bad thing. It then raises the question what is bad and what is good

Here Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins talk about this subject in great detail. Well worth a watch if you care about the answer to this question

Utilitarianism.

The Golden Rule

Although I'm still working on reformulating and improving my own personal moral philosophy at this time, I've long believed in kindness, consideration of the feelings and the well-being of other people and of living creatures in general, helping others, honesty, and forgiveness. I also agree with some of you that it's important to not be an asshole! 🙂

I find that just about everything falls into a moral grey area, in that I think that morality evolved alongside society as means of a way for social animals to have the highest quality life, and succeed in the one things that all living things are programmed to succeed in; procreate. Having said that, we learn our morals at the feet of our parents, and what is ingrained deeply in me is a sense of needing to feel like I have been honorable in the choices I have made in life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.