Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The code I followed when I was religious. Try my best to get through each day with as little pain as possible. I also find doing right by others makes it life easier.

Treat others as you want to be treated. If what I do hurts someone, physically, mentally or emotionally, than I want to avoid doing that even if just to that one person. I absolutely reject that morality includes things like modesty, female-submission, etc.

clea Level 4 Dec 16, 2017

Be kind, killing other humans other than in defense is wrong, be kind to all living things. Respect all things.

Reason and compassion.

Sam Harris' Moral Landscape is a good read.

be willing to admit when you're wrong.
period

The premise of this question is wrong. Moral code and religion are not related.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you under the same circumstances.

Enlightened self interest. (Same thing, different words).

I don't equate morality as a religious equation.It's a human vice.

Thou shall always be honest and faithful and try real hard not to kill anyone.

Yes, I stole that from Carlin.

My moral code? As Jim Jefferies says, "Don't be a cunt."

[Strong language in the link, if you have a weak heart.]

For me, common sense... plus “resserts” big 3. After experiencing 75 years of living... everything becomes easier. I realize common sense isn’t as common as it should be, still make mistakes, we make choices, our principles (big 3) make corrections.

Tomas Level 7 Dec 20, 2017

I was born "non-religious". I believe in the Golden Rule, I also believe in Hammurabi`s Silver Rule.

Her: "It's in the Code!"
Pirate: "Well, it's not so much of a CODE as it is a guideline".

I guess I adhere to the Golden Rule. I try to treat everyone the way I want to be treated. Sometimes that gets me into trouble. I tend to trust people too much and sometimes they just aren't trustworthy. But then, that's on them, isn't it?

"Don't be an asshole." Be kind to kind people and kinder to unkind people; they need it more. Kill Hitler, of course. Letting him live would mean being an asshole to all the people whose lives he turned into sadness and horror. But otherwise see the good in people when you can. Walk a mile in their shoes.

jmott Level 3 Dec 24, 2017

Atheist 10 commandments

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control of their body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
  9. There is no one right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

I like these ten commandments - they make logical sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

Freedom unless it impedes another's freedom... For me what falls under this do not kill, pro-euthanasia and pro-choice, anti-war as I have never heard of a vote for a war among citizens. I am also anti-capital punishment. Don't destroy someone's property and so on. I believe in law and 'justice' but am usually relatively good neutral alignment. I follow more on what I think and check rather than anything strictly premade.

@NASTYNEIL Well most politicians get out of that anyway.

There’s no such thing ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 25, 2017

@NASTYNEIL Nope, no ‘code,’ I’ll leave those for the Dexter’s of the world! ..those in need of a concocted and structured list of acceptable and unacceptable behaviors... For me, it feels more like those dreaded and much maligned ‘situational ethics,’ in that, different situations call for different responses. And, I trust my instincts. And, as mentioned, there’s no such thing as a ‘moral code’ … or should that be MORAL CODE 😉

If it harms none, do what you want.

My moral code is actually someone else's moral code. It's often ascribed to Hippocrates, though it night not have been him. Still, I think it's distills morality down to its essence: "First do no harm."

When I think about that, I think it covers how we treat each other and the world around us. It causes us to think through our actions, and to consider what effect they will have beyond us.

I follow 'a' moral code, now that I have forgotten religion so many decades ago. There certainly was no "moral code" before that. To quote one of the Ten Commandments: "Thou shall have no other gods--- blather, blather, and more blather". Such vulgar stupidity! A person that 'thinks' about all aspects of life has a heavy load to carry. The down side of waking up later in life is that one can see all their wrong choices- and it is too late to do anything about them.

I know you asked this question of your fellow Atheists but I thought this quote might be helpful in case anyone is confronted by Evangelical type Christians who ask them this question. It usually gets them off my back anyway.
"He has told you, O mortal, what is good, and what does Yahweh ask from you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8. Notice it says "Your God". BTW.

My moral code is - don't be a jerk! I try to be kind, not because I hope to go to "heaven" but because I respect myself more when I am not acting like a creep.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

Treat others how you want to be treated. I wouldn't want to be murdered or robbed, so I don't do those things.. Lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.