Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Simple, The Golden Rule. Treat others the way you would like to be treated 🙂

Treat people like how i want to be treated.

Do not do to others what you would not have done to yourself! Do not do to others unless specifically invited!

This sounds like a question someone who was religious would ask. Surely atheists and agnostics recognize that morality and religion are clearly not connected. Most of the worst atrocities in history were perpetrated in the name of "religion"...there was certainly no morality there.

The moral code that I have lived by for most of my life - do not hurt others - and do unto others as you would have them do unto you - and Socretes said it first! I have always known right from wrong - and churches are actually not the best place to learn moral lessons. If fact, churches give people a "way out" of being moral - and almost encourage doing the wrong thing by saying that people are born evil and will do no good without God. Thus, churches encourage "repenting" which supposedly wipes your slate clean - and everything is "forgiven" no matter what the bad deed was that you've done. It seems as if many religious people do not care if they do bad things to others because they know if they ask an invisible man in the sky to forgive them - he will - and they go on their Merry way. A non-religious person does not have that benefit. They have no "forgiveness" and must justify what they did not only with themselves, but others - and others are usually not all that forgiving. Also, one's morals are usually taught by parents, professionals in schools, and society norms. And these teachings are all we need in society to successfully live. We do not need to be told that if we believe in a sky daddy, trust in him, and ask forgiveness - then all is well. And to believe that every human is born sinful and stays sinful without knowing Jesus is a horrible thing to say to anyone. No wonder there are so many people with severe mental health issues today.

do as you would be done by

The golden rule and universal taboos pretty much sum it up for me

Dont be an asshole...That's about it

I believe morality is a social construct. Hunter-gatherers needed to live together and soon developed rules that would benefit the tribe. Don’t kill or steal or lie would benefit everyone. Religious rules were made to gain power and made everything worse. Actually everything in the ten commandments applied only to how Hebrews were to treat Hebrews and not to any other tribe. The Bible says it’s OK to kill, steal, lie to, take somebody else’s wife etc. as long as he’s an Amalekite or Midianite or somebody from any other tribe.

I follow the moral code that has been established by Western society over time especially since the enlightenment.

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

A very simple one: Do not do to others what one do not want done to oneself. Actually, it is an old Chinese moral code, still work pretty well for me. One must realise that religion is but one of many types of social institutions, it do not have monopoly on moral codes.

I believe that atheists as a rule are more morally responsible as they do not have the belief that a god will forgive them for not being so

What I consider the best moral code. Treat everyone as you wish to be treated, do as much good and as little harm as you can, always offer to help when it is possible and put yourself in others shoes before you form an opinion of them. People who cannot respect you should be removed from your life.
If I can publicly state what I have done without embarrassment, then I have done the right thing.
Oh, and never be ashamed to apologize or say you are wrong.

I consider the consequences of my actions and how they might affect others.

I am a former christian and some of my moral code does come from the Bible. "Do unto others..." is still a good idea. I just don't need the threat of an eternity in hell to prompt me to be a good person. Are my actions self centered? Are my words uplifting to others or am I dragging others down to make myself feel better??

After the huge amount of non-moral choices I have made, I try to live an honest, secular life. It is depressing to think it is too little, too late. But unlike religion where lies define truth, and actual truth is a lie----I try to live a better life.

Morality has nothing to do with religion, if one needs the threat of hell to justify being moral then their problem is weakness not lack of faith.

I have always had my own morals. Do what is right, what is fair & what isn't going to harm another person. I tell the truth, some may not like it or want to hear it, that's their choice. I always think about the consequences of my actions. It's gotten me a long ways in life.. more so than any bullshit bible thumping crap could ever do.

The same moral code my parents (dad was Jewish - mom is of Mexican decent and raised from birth in Catholicism yet no longer believes); you don't pick on those weaker and smaller than you; you help anyone when you can; you never abuse an animal anymore than you would abuse a human, manners and common sense.

I "try" to follow the moral code that I was taught by my mother. She was a kind and non judgmental person. She suffered a lot of abuse by the nuns in religious school when she was young.

if you do not know how to treat others with respect, you lack empathy not religion.

Just do the right thing, and you will know what that is.

I follow a lot of the same code I had when I considered myself religious. After leaving it I found that my morals came from me and not from religion. I found that I wanted to do what I considered right, fair, and best for people and society in general. The best thing was that I didn't have a book or leader telling me what I had to find wrong or evil.How I had to treat or think about people that their religion considered sinful. Finally, I could decided right and wrong for myself.

"an it harm none do as thou will." I know that ispagan, but I'm actually an athiest/pagan. I believe in the powers of the mind but that it does not require gods.

Personally, I mostly use Kant's deontology, with a bit of consequentialism for the things a good deontological approach cannot solve.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 6, 2017

Religions have nothing to do with having morals. Either you have them or you don't. If you have a conscience you have a moral compass. We are not perfect and we have all done things we are not proud of but having to ask for forgiveness to some entity is a cope out, it precludes you from taking responsibility. When you take responsibility for your actions and make a concerted effort to do better, be a better human, forgive yourself for your mistakes, it is then that you grow in a spiritual manner. Forget the "religiosity" and the hateful , wrathful , and archaic dogmas. Man created "gods" not the other way around. Anything that is not for everyone , anything that is inclusive, is biased. I like the idea behind "Namaste" because it is for every human being in this world, equally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.