Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My moral code is simple I don't be a prick someone they don't be a prick to me. It's just that simple.

Be a decent human being.

Honesty, Integrity, Respect.

The Christians use the ten commandments, I ask the 3 questions

1. Does it feel better than the alternative?
  2. Does it harm anyone other than yourself? Example- Smoking outside hurts me, but causes no one else any harm. Drinking and driving could hurt others.
  3. Did I earn it?
    If I can answer yes, no, yes. I'm good

The same moral code I grew up with. It hasn't changed in more than 60 years.

Having always been an atheist even while attending church in my youth, I follow the same moral code I always have. It aligns pretty closely with the traditional Christian moral code, except that have been abused as a child I mentally rewrite "Respect your mother and father" with "everyone deserves to be TREATED with respect." As George Carlin pointed out, most of the Ten Commandments can be boiled down to the Golden Rule, and that is how I live my life as much as possible.

Do what you will as long as it harms no living creature. Be kind, courteous, gracious and forgiving. Help your fellow man in any way you can and live for today.

Common sense? Don't be a dick, that usually works! ????

I follow a moral code based on my sense of right and wrong. People who are religious follow religious doctrine Not morals. That's why they think morality comes from god. They don't know the difference. The Bible teaches that its OK to beat your slaves to death as long as it takes them more than 48 hours to die from the beating. Because the religious are actually Amoral they see no problem with that.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 22, 2018

Never was, empathy is all you need.

If you want the full unabridged version (and it is really quite good), these are my dogma free ethics...

[amazon.com]

I make a point of never eating Christian babies on Friday.

Yay, meatless fridays! LOL

1. Compassion
  2. Integrity
  3. Take positive action (including "do no harm" )

Is there a change here?

Morals are part of child development. Morals need no religious guidance. One can follow the golden rule. I have had the same morals since I was religious as a girl. I think that logical thought and inner feelings guide my moral code.

Do as much good and as little harm as possible during your life. Apologize when you are wrong or hurt someone. Help people as much as you can. Stand against wrong.

Logic and Empathy

The same moral code everyone else follows, the only one that actually exists -- societal morality, the organic outcome of explicit and implicit negotations between humans concerning how to coexist and cooperate.

Religious moral codes are just slightly embellished versions of societal morality. If they were not, society would deem them immoral and sanction them accordingly.

The golden rule as promulgated by crows, ravens, elephants, orca, dolphins et al. ...

My moral code is my conscious and the fact that if I commit any kind of immoral act against someone, I have to live with it, and it's not very pleasant. Also, I would ask myself if this is how I would want to be treated. We all live in a society where it's in our own best interest to get along and respect others.

I was always non religious - I like the 'if it harm none do as you will' code - I practise kindness and am non apologetic about my anger which i see as a positive force for change - I was/am a Rogerian person centred therapist and that seems a kind way to be with others - not the theraping, but the underlying sense of being with someone, listening ,with warmth, congruence and empathy

Respect everyone and their opinion.
do unto others ( I know...but if it's an actual good rule, why not steal it)
stick up for the little guy
don't tollerate hate, bullies, hypocrissy lies etc

Morals are how you behave if you believe God is watching. Ethics are how you behave if you believe nobody is watching. I find ethics are of a higher order as they are motivated from within. It shows you who you really are, something you can't duck. When I'm helping deliver a baby, I have bottomless empathy , compassion, and ability. When I'm at a Club or a Party and somebody is showing their ass, I can enjoy being ruthless and letting my mean out to play. Nobody is completely good or completely bad.

I live the best life I can, being the best person I can. I won't willingly hurt another, I try to be honest and truthful in most things, I will help anyone I can.

Be nice, try to leave our world a little better than you found it, if you can't help someone then don't put roadblocks in their way, try not to take yourself to seriously. By the way, I don't think I was ever religious.

I never was religious at any time, but - I do my best to be kind and helpful , I lived and worked in Housing and worker co-ooperatives for a long time so have a certain code for being with & dealing with people in need and also people who want to put me down . when I am angry I try to defuse myself and if that doesnt work I get someoen to help me not to fan a grudge- I live by myself most of hte time and do whatever I want so its not like I meet tons of people who might do my head in.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.