Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not, nor have I ever been religious. as a mature, responsible & considerate human being I trust my sense of fairness & empathy, & how I would like my experience with other beings to turn out - & to turn me on. I live my life as free & relaxed as possible without harming other, & without risking harm to my self. I take responsibility for my experience without living by any code; I rather take one moment at a time. it's as simple & difficult as that.

1. I treat others the way I want to be treated, until they don't ... and I remove myself from the relationship;
  2. Do no harm; when it's inevitable, do more good than harm;
  3. Try to leave this world a better place.

I've made it a practice since the first time I was asked about the source of my personal morality, as an adolescent (!), to make sure each night before going to sleep I evaluate the day and measure my actions. As long as I can honestly say that my actions were more positive than negative, I'm good with myself ... regardless of what others may think. This self accountability has served me well so far.

1. I treat others the way I want to be treated, until they don't ... and I remove myself from the relationship;
  2. Do no harm; when it's inevitable, do more good than harm;
  3. Try to leave this world a better place.

I've made it a practice since the first time I was asked about the source of my personal morality, as an adolescent (!), to make sure each night before going to sleep I evaluate the day and measure my actions. As long as I can honestly say that my actions were more positive than negative, I'm good with myself ... regardless of what others may think. This self accountability has served me well so far.

The morality of doing what's right and best for me and mine and also for the community. The morality of care and altruism--and justice. People know how to get along without threats of damnation/reward.

I have not been religious for most of my life and most of the religious involvement I have had was due to coercion. I don't buy the argument that morality comes from religion. I have read the entire King James Bible. The concepts of slavery, genocide, rape, child murder, and incest are all supported in the bible. The problem with religion is that people use it to justify what ever antisocial activity that they want to commit.

The same one I always have ..it's wrong to murder, rape and steal..that works for me..soo yup stand by it!

I've always had the same moral code.

Mind my own business and never intentionally hurt another being. If you hurt someone, apologize.

Reality

The same one I followed when I was sort of religious: help people when you can, how you can, don't be a bitch, take care of your own stuff and don't screw anyone over while doing it -- basically, my life motto is 'My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.' I'm gonna do my thing...you do your thing, and, as long as 'our thing' doesn't involve hurting someone or unintentionally impeding someone from their own pursuit of happiness -- go forth, you do you.

A better one than the one I was raised with. everyone matters

Kodi Level 4 Jan 27, 2018

I see a lot of people on here talking about 'do unto others as you would have them do to you' and while that's a nice idea, I'm not an idealist.
I won't do something that hurts someone else for little to no gain to myself or others and that's about the only moral code I have. Don't be needlessly cruel.
If there is a gain for myself and others I care about then I weight that against my priorities in life, my loyalties to various people, and the risks involved. Is hurting anyone ever morally right? Probably not, but I don't really care about that. It depends on the situation at hand.
I will point out that I will always choose the way that doesn't hurt other people if at all possible, but for example, if I've told someone politely to leave me or a family member alone several times and they won't do it then I will verbally tear them apart and if that doesn't work I consider violence to be justified response.
As others do to me I will do to them, IF my priorities, loyalties, or the risks involved don't make that impossible.

Empathy has always been my moral code. I realized that religion hijacked empathy like it hijacks everything else and called it morality, then added a bunch of garbage that had nothing to do with actual morality as a method to control people. There is nothing about morality that can be taught by religion that wasn't already obvious more than ten thousand years ago.

I don't need religion to have a moral compass.

I try to just follow the old " Do unto others..."This is universal through all religions. But I truly do try to live my life this way and always think of how my actions will effect others.

I call it "Wing it"

Don't hurt others by action or inaction. Do what you can.

I don't know that I have one or want one - A code I mean - I think my morality is spontaneous and only fit, for each occasion it is needed . If something happens me I might have to go away and think about it - Recently I was beaten up for no reason and I immediately called the police who came and sorted it . Once when I was living in Liverpool a group of us women had gone to a 'reclaim the night march for women' - On the way home in the dark , we were attacked and a woman had her handbag snatched - We all gave chase but I was very slow witted and a slow starter whereas some of the other women were right on the nail - sprinting after him like whippets. So I think the reaction just comes and whatever it is I will live with it!

The same as anyone. Be decent to difficult people. Care about everyone. See even the harsh as damaged people. Leave them be or try to compromise if it's needed. Stand up to unfairness. Try to see everyone with love or at least tolerance, depending on the need. Stand up to unfairness and protect the vulnerable is the main moral code.

The Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would want done unto you.

Its got a biblical backing so they can't argue about it, and its just seems like the best ting to do.

I've never been a religious person. I've believed in karma most of my life. I've always tried to treat others as I would like to be treated. I have a little more patients with younger or disadvantaged people. As far as morals and religion I've met many people that claim to have religion that have virtually no morals or compassion.

My moral code is simple I don't be a prick someone they don't be a prick to me. It's just that simple.

Be a decent human being.

Honesty, Integrity, Respect.

The Christians use the ten commandments, I ask the 3 questions

1. Does it feel better than the alternative?
  2. Does it harm anyone other than yourself? Example- Smoking outside hurts me, but causes no one else any harm. Drinking and driving could hurt others.
  3. Did I earn it?
    If I can answer yes, no, yes. I'm good

The same moral code I grew up with. It hasn't changed in more than 60 years.

Having always been an atheist even while attending church in my youth, I follow the same moral code I always have. It aligns pretty closely with the traditional Christian moral code, except that have been abused as a child I mentally rewrite "Respect your mother and father" with "everyone deserves to be TREATED with respect." As George Carlin pointed out, most of the Ten Commandments can be boiled down to the Golden Rule, and that is how I live my life as much as possible.

Do what you will as long as it harms no living creature. Be kind, courteous, gracious and forgiving. Help your fellow man in any way you can and live for today.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.