Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have a code just some guidelines for myself, if I fall short of them I will apologise; I liek the wiccan creed 'an it harm none do as thou wilt!' (though I am not Wiccan) But I like that 'if it harm none' bit: so me angrily chunnering to myself is fine. I think also learning by your own mistakes is a good ideal for me - I want to create my own manners and be ready to be pulled up if it does impinge on others as then there would be learning - I am a bit of a mousy character and tend to stay in the background and not like a lot of fuss so I get to watch others and decide what I don't want to be like and that sort of leads me to what I want to be like- Kindness gets me out of all sorts of trouble so thats in the mix somewhere.

For those who say their moral code is "do no harm"...I'm curious if you find this complete? What if through your inaction someone comes to harm? Would you need to include "prevent harm" to your code? Would you harm someone to prevent death to others? Is being a hero required, or is it enough to simply not be a killer? I've had a similar conversation with a very religious friend who doesn't think inaction that leads to death is the same as action that leads to death. In my opinion, either way, you were responsible for someone dying. How do you make the distinction, or do you think there is one?

Having a comic artist background, I've always tried to walk the walk when it came to some of the "hero" mindset. Do the right thing, be a positive role model and help whenever you can/should. In other words I take the positive force code. My presence should be positive everywhere I go to all around me.

The non aggresion principle is a more complete philosophy. Google NAP.

Seek perfection of character
Respect Others
Refrain from violent behavior

My own moral code

MORALITY CAN NEVER be learned from Religion, for from society. Instead one must learn this through FIRST-HAND experiences via TRIAL AND ERROR. Anything else is just hogwash designed to take away responsibility form yourself. My views mostly are similar to Existential thinking but not fully.

I never was religious but went to a free school where we were taught/allowed to think for ourselves - it was a kindly arena to learn in and affected the rest of my life as the major lesson I got was my own autonomy and my right to think and make decisions for myself , I think my morals came from that time - caring about others well being, not being criticised, The teacher had always wanted to carry out this kind of teaching and she wasnt a motherly sort more a learn-ed tutor.

Every religious book written has a piece of philosophy that can be garnered from it. Take the good and common sense phrases in them to live by and help make a better world for our children to live in.

My own. I've pieced it together through my own life experiences and various philosophies I've encountered. It's not perfect, but it's certainly kept me out of trouble.

I use a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I take some of my moral code from "The Great Agnostic" Robert G. Ingersoll. I also use a little bit of Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius. Anything I run across that sounds decent, I incorporate it into my life. Sometimes I just use common sense. For example, I don't get too upset when others do stupid things (like cutting me off in traffic) because I try to see them as humans who have feelings and experience many of the same joys and frustrations that I experience. Maybe they weren't paying attention or maybe they were having a bad day cause something upset them. I try to do right by others. I do incorporate some of the biblical teachings I learned as a teenager. I remember a lot of things that my mom taught me when I was young. She wasn't a church goer, but she tried to live a decent life and tried to instill in her children some of those principles she lived by.

There is no 'Now that I am not religious' because I have never been subjected to religion

Dont suffer fools gladly.
Be kind as its possible to be in the moment.
help out whenever you can
Try not to give advice.
Be as playful as you want
If it harms no one go for it!

As far as how to "behave" I follow the Wiccan creed: If it harms no one, do as you want. Of course, be aware of the law! I'd rather not discuss my actions with the sheriff!

As far as how to treat others I try to follow the platinum rule: Treat others as they want to be treated. Which means that I need to find out how they want to be treated so I value openess and sharing of truths.

Since I never was religious...now I follow the moral code I did all my life....the one dictated by common sense.

I do my best to follow the teachings of Marcus Aurelius and the other Stoics. To paraphrase Marcus: there is an endless void of time behind us, where we didn't exist, and an endless void of time ahead of us, where even those who have forgotten us will themselves be forgotten, so do good now!

My parents, siblings and definately my children all taught me my moral codes. not many friends tho

I follow the Gospel of Bill and Ted. Simple, yes, but it applies to just about any moral situation.

The Human Being moral code.

'Dance. Grow things. Try not to be a dick'

MsDee Level 5 Apr 6, 2018

The same as if I were religious. Do no harm.

Enhance the well being of myself and othrs, neither at the expence of the other and try no to lessen the well being of anyone else or myself.

Be kind. Be generous. Help where you can. Offer a compliment to a random stranger. Give an elderly person a ride. Spend ten minutes of your precious life helping someone else. It's not rocket science.

I do the right thing because it's the right thing, not because of any imaginary reward I might get when I die and not to avoid getting punished in a nonexistent afterlife. As Gertrude Stein said "Dead is dead." I do like how Abe Lincoln put it: "When I do good I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That's my religion." Of course, atheism is not a religion but I still love the quote.

I do the right thing because it's the right thing, not because of any imaginary reward I might get when I die and not to avoid getting punished in a nonexistent afterlife. As Gertrude Stein said "Dead is dead." I do like how Abe Lincoln put it: "When I do good I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That's my religion." Of course, atheism is not a religion but I still love the quote.

I treat others as I would like to be treated... I do find it ironic that a lot of Christians treat me with disdain when they find out I'm an atheist.

The line I hear the most is 'But you seem like such a nice person!' after they find out.

I dated one woman for 4 years who was a devout Baptist... She told me on several occasions that I treated people better than most Christians she knew and that she was surprised by this.

I literally use the old adage of treat others how you'd like to be treated. I think that that is basically the best way to approach this kind of thing. And it's nice because it's not out of some phony ideology, I don't want to be treated like a dick so I'm not going to treat someone else like a dick. I'm going to smile and Nod and say hello and treat people with respect and dignity and hope that they are decent human beings and return that simple kind gesture

To paraphrase the golden rule (which might not apply to sexual morals) I like "if you don't like it, don't do it to anyone else>

The “Golden Rule”, unless they don’t want to be treated how I want to be and it’s not unfair.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.