Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I have a 'code' it would be the basic 5 precepts. To abstain from taking life. To abstain from taking what is not given. To abstain from sexual misconduct. To abstain from false and divisive speech and to abstain from intoxicants

Primum non nocere: "First do no harm." Or as it's stated in the Hippocratic Oath "...abstain from doing harm..."

I follow it like this, I beileve in something higher than humanity, I don't know what or who it is, but thats as far as I go with it!

The same moral code of always had - "do unto others..."

I like Aristotlean virtue ethics the best. What personal qualities to people who are happy and thriving exhibit? (Note that I didn't say "people who are rich," because "rich" doesn't necessarily mean "happy." )

Those qualities include generosity, kindness, empathy, intellectual curiosity, moderation in consumption of pleasures, integrity, tolerance of others, and personal industry. These personal characteristics may be called "virtues." Cultivate those virtuous qualities in yourself, until behaving in that way becomes habitual. Then you'll find that you're happy and thriving.

These are the behaviors that benefit people. Their opposites are things that hurt people. That's how you know what's moral and what's not moral. That's how I suggest you live your life.

I recently joined this group and to date love the mindset that I see. Thank you for that. Now, I am a deeply spiritual person and assume most of us are. I think therefore ,,,,,, In the past the term atheist implied nothing beyond death, no god, nothing and that was me. But with years of science I now understand that the human brain is all we have to measure things with,
The idea of a god is ridiculous, the idea that we live on in the mind we now have is ridiculous and to believe this mind is all you are in ridiculous That is unconditional love, all of it

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 2, 2018

Good question, Yes I love and respect all, everything, all atoms, however I respect that I am a homosapien walking around as a life form, All this means is that yes I avoid poison ivy and will not eat certain veggies but I do love the ecosystem of all.
Each atom in your bod Neil, is 14 billion years old, They were in a different ecosystem before you came along. We Love all unconditionally, as the saying goes, my child can commit a murder and will always love them but like poison ivy, I do not like it.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 2, 2018

The golden rule!

To be good to others, smile and be open, people feel that

I try to follow the Golden Rule, which seems to be taught in most religions (although lots of religious folks apparently have not heard of it.) I try to look for the good in people ... sometimes is difficult. Certain power brokers and elected officials REALLY put me to the test!

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 31, 2017

Do not hurt other human being what so ever

there is ONLY one statement that defines for me
UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
I have heard that the gods practice this however reading their scripture is not supportive
You love all things with no conditions attached, we can address bad behavior but to kill the person is not without conditions

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

to be human is to have empathy. We are all in basically the same position in this world so you should not harm other people and help them when you can. Nobody, nobody in the entire world is better than me, and likewise, I am no better than anyone else, for any reason.

@NASTYNEIL better in what way?that you have no flaws? No errors in judgement?for someone to be subjectively wrong makes you only better subjectively.

Umm, moral code has nothing to do with religion. The Golden Rule wins the day.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

Try not to kill the religious idiots or laugh at them. Try like hell to get away from them. It's difficult.

I do what feels right, my code is don't be a dick.

I know you asked this question of your fellow Atheists but I thought this quote might be helpful in case anyone is confronted by Evangelical type Christians who ask them this question. It usually gets them off my back anyway.
"He has told you, O mortal, what is good, and what does Yahweh ask from you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8. Notice it says "Your God". BTW.

I follow 'a' moral code, now that I have forgotten religion so many decades ago. There certainly was no "moral code" before that. To quote one of the Ten Commandments: "Thou shall have no other gods--- blather, blather, and more blather". Such vulgar stupidity! A person that 'thinks' about all aspects of life has a heavy load to carry. The down side of waking up later in life is that one can see all their wrong choices- and it is too late to do anything about them.

My moral code is actually someone else's moral code. It's often ascribed to Hippocrates, though it night not have been him. Still, I think it's distills morality down to its essence: "First do no harm."

When I think about that, I think it covers how we treat each other and the world around us. It causes us to think through our actions, and to consider what effect they will have beyond us.

If it harms none, do what you want.

There’s no such thing ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 25, 2017

@NASTYNEIL Nope, no ‘code,’ I’ll leave those for the Dexter’s of the world! ..those in need of a concocted and structured list of acceptable and unacceptable behaviors... For me, it feels more like those dreaded and much maligned ‘situational ethics,’ in that, different situations call for different responses. And, I trust my instincts. And, as mentioned, there’s no such thing as a ‘moral code’ … or should that be MORAL CODE 😉

Freedom unless it impedes another's freedom... For me what falls under this do not kill, pro-euthanasia and pro-choice, anti-war as I have never heard of a vote for a war among citizens. I am also anti-capital punishment. Don't destroy someone's property and so on. I believe in law and 'justice' but am usually relatively good neutral alignment. I follow more on what I think and check rather than anything strictly premade.

@NASTYNEIL Well most politicians get out of that anyway.

Atheist 10 commandments

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control of their body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
  9. There is no one right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

I like these ten commandments - they make logical sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

I guess I adhere to the Golden Rule. I try to treat everyone the way I want to be treated. Sometimes that gets me into trouble. I tend to trust people too much and sometimes they just aren't trustworthy. But then, that's on them, isn't it?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.