Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Common sense? Don't be a dick, that usually works! ????

I follow a moral code based on my sense of right and wrong. People who are religious follow religious doctrine Not morals. That's why they think morality comes from god. They don't know the difference. The Bible teaches that its OK to beat your slaves to death as long as it takes them more than 48 hours to die from the beating. Because the religious are actually Amoral they see no problem with that.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 22, 2018

Never was, empathy is all you need.

If you want the full unabridged version (and it is really quite good), these are my dogma free ethics...

[amazon.com]

1. Compassion
  2. Integrity
  3. Take positive action (including "do no harm" )

Is there a change here?

Morals are part of child development. Morals need no religious guidance. One can follow the golden rule. I have had the same morals since I was religious as a girl. I think that logical thought and inner feelings guide my moral code.

Do as much good and as little harm as possible during your life. Apologize when you are wrong or hurt someone. Help people as much as you can. Stand against wrong.

Logic and Empathy

The same moral code everyone else follows, the only one that actually exists -- societal morality, the organic outcome of explicit and implicit negotations between humans concerning how to coexist and cooperate.

Religious moral codes are just slightly embellished versions of societal morality. If they were not, society would deem them immoral and sanction them accordingly.

The golden rule as promulgated by crows, ravens, elephants, orca, dolphins et al. ...

My moral code is my conscious and the fact that if I commit any kind of immoral act against someone, I have to live with it, and it's not very pleasant. Also, I would ask myself if this is how I would want to be treated. We all live in a society where it's in our own best interest to get along and respect others.

I was always non religious - I like the 'if it harm none do as you will' code - I practise kindness and am non apologetic about my anger which i see as a positive force for change - I was/am a Rogerian person centred therapist and that seems a kind way to be with others - not the theraping, but the underlying sense of being with someone, listening ,with warmth, congruence and empathy

Respect everyone and their opinion.
do unto others ( I know...but if it's an actual good rule, why not steal it)
stick up for the little guy
don't tollerate hate, bullies, hypocrissy lies etc

Morals are how you behave if you believe God is watching. Ethics are how you behave if you believe nobody is watching. I find ethics are of a higher order as they are motivated from within. It shows you who you really are, something you can't duck. When I'm helping deliver a baby, I have bottomless empathy , compassion, and ability. When I'm at a Club or a Party and somebody is showing their ass, I can enjoy being ruthless and letting my mean out to play. Nobody is completely good or completely bad.

I live the best life I can, being the best person I can. I won't willingly hurt another, I try to be honest and truthful in most things, I will help anyone I can.

Be nice, try to leave our world a little better than you found it, if you can't help someone then don't put roadblocks in their way, try not to take yourself to seriously. By the way, I don't think I was ever religious.

I never was religious at any time, but - I do my best to be kind and helpful , I lived and worked in Housing and worker co-ooperatives for a long time so have a certain code for being with & dealing with people in need and also people who want to put me down . when I am angry I try to defuse myself and if that doesnt work I get someoen to help me not to fan a grudge- I live by myself most of hte time and do whatever I want so its not like I meet tons of people who might do my head in.

I don't have a code just some guidelines for myself, if I fall short of them I will apologise; I liek the wiccan creed 'an it harm none do as thou wilt!' (though I am not Wiccan) But I like that 'if it harm none' bit: so me angrily chunnering to myself is fine. I think also learning by your own mistakes is a good ideal for me - I want to create my own manners and be ready to be pulled up if it does impinge on others as then there would be learning - I am a bit of a mousy character and tend to stay in the background and not like a lot of fuss so I get to watch others and decide what I don't want to be like and that sort of leads me to what I want to be like- Kindness gets me out of all sorts of trouble so thats in the mix somewhere.

Seek perfection of character
Respect Others
Refrain from violent behavior

My own moral code

MORALITY CAN NEVER be learned from Religion, for from society. Instead one must learn this through FIRST-HAND experiences via TRIAL AND ERROR. Anything else is just hogwash designed to take away responsibility form yourself. My views mostly are similar to Existential thinking but not fully.

I never was religious but went to a free school where we were taught/allowed to think for ourselves - it was a kindly arena to learn in and affected the rest of my life as the major lesson I got was my own autonomy and my right to think and make decisions for myself , I think my morals came from that time - caring about others well being, not being criticised, The teacher had always wanted to carry out this kind of teaching and she wasnt a motherly sort more a learn-ed tutor.

Every religious book written has a piece of philosophy that can be garnered from it. Take the good and common sense phrases in them to live by and help make a better world for our children to live in.

My own. I've pieced it together through my own life experiences and various philosophies I've encountered. It's not perfect, but it's certainly kept me out of trouble.

I use a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I take some of my moral code from "The Great Agnostic" Robert G. Ingersoll. I also use a little bit of Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius. Anything I run across that sounds decent, I incorporate it into my life. Sometimes I just use common sense. For example, I don't get too upset when others do stupid things (like cutting me off in traffic) because I try to see them as humans who have feelings and experience many of the same joys and frustrations that I experience. Maybe they weren't paying attention or maybe they were having a bad day cause something upset them. I try to do right by others. I do incorporate some of the biblical teachings I learned as a teenager. I remember a lot of things that my mom taught me when I was young. She wasn't a church goer, but she tried to live a decent life and tried to instill in her children some of those principles she lived by.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.