Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stop at red lights.

Not so much a moral choice as a vehicular imperative 😉

@moNOtheist I tend to disagree after experiencing traffic in China where driving behaviour appears threatening. In general the respecting of rules boils down to moral choices.

@PontifexMarximus I know what you mean - they seem to miss each other by a hair's breadth - although i don't recall seeing more than a couple of stop signs my whole time there. Of course, even red lights seem to be treated as mere advisories.

Same as always. Start the day in silence, on your own with coffee. The rest of the day then falls into place (sort of) 🙂

I think I have more morals than the majority of religious people. I don't harass or bully anyone, I don't con or steal from anyone. I enjoy creating a smile for someone who doesn't have one. I love my family and friends. I get great satisfaction building something that didn't exist but for my hands. I don't need something after this life as nothingness really is fine as I won't be able to feel anything or be aware of anything. I'll just be happy if I've left a positive mark on the planet really.

Be kind, honest, and fun to be with. Basically the Golden Rule, with a little courtesy thrown in. This is how I raised my children. I read them a book of Bible stories, so they would know the history and cultural literacy. We discussed ways to act, what could have been done better, and being proud of trying something difficult. It's all about being the best YOU that you can be, in my opinion.

Hmmm... I think the "shoulds" of life would be to try to do as much good, reduce as much harm, and help others in their quest to do the same. But, with the variety of human existence, we'd be hard pressed to decide what is a "good," given that the definition lies solely within each individual.

Biochemicially, the imperatives and needed direction for humans, with regard to this question, are laid fairly bare. Positive chemicals swirl when we help others. Answer this question: If person "A" was asked how much they like person "B"...and vice versa. Then, person "B" asks person "A" for a favor, that person "A" then completes. How would the "ratings" change? Would both change their ratings? Most would expect B's impression to increase, and A's to remain somewhat unchanged. Social Science, and Neuroscience say otherwise. They have actually found that person A's impression of person B increases! And B's impression of A remains somewhat steady! Why? Cognitive Dissonance. "A" cannot maintain negative feelings about "B," and do a favor at the same time...as "A's" brain has decided that, "well, I must have liked something about "B," or I wouldn't have done that favor!" "B" is kinda like...meh, another favor. Thanks."

Where am I going with this? It's not enough just to not be a killer. It's not enough to just do no harm. Active engagement in life, preserving life of/for others, tending others, tending non-human life, and preventing harm all increase our internal wellbeing, as we receive floods of chemicals saying we benefitted humanity, as well as creating and resolving cognitive dissonances which cause us to "like" others around us more with every bit of help we give. To find the greatest wellbeing is the goal of humanity. We achieve that by increasing the wellbeing of others. The level achievable or desired by each human varies...but, for the most part, in the average of human existence, the underlying neuro-pathways and reward system are the same.

A deep biochemical analysis. I do agree with you.

I was indoctrinated into the Catholic religion but my moral code partly came from my father who was quite strict about lying and stealing. Most of us, save psychopaths, have a conscience that we may or may not listen to. Morality is fluid and situational. For example, we may think it is wrong to lie but if the Gestapo came to arrest someone we were hiding, we would do our best to save the person. Therein, is one of the main failings of a fixed morality.

@Bobby9 when the person you wish to murder is causing great harm to others, the moral choice is to insure they can no longer do so.

@Bobby9 and thats your opinion. Id say lay enforcement is inherently immoral, as for the most part, laws exist to subjugate the masses, not protect.

@Bobby9 I literally said Id say, which means my opinion. reading comprehension not your strong suit? And as far as 'backing that up' I would say the surge in public outcry over police brutality and abuses removes my personal need to back it up, as society as a whole already sees what you seem to chose not to.

And your blanket statement that most people see vigilantism as immoral is absurd. most people see those that fix what the law does not as hero's. Its literally a entire genre in fiction.

There is no good cop, that has been proven, as by definition a cops job is to enforce all laws, and some laws are inherently unjust. therefore either a the officer is failing to do his job, and only enforcing laws he/she considers just, or B they are actively enforcing unjust laws, either is a moral failure.

And lastly, your weak deflecting attempt to discredit me due to a accidental spelling error marks you as a petty sot, and worthy of contempt =D

@Bobby9 actually, Yes, the good cop argument has been definitively put to rest.

If someone creates a threat to others, by their continued existence/freedom (without the recourse to imprison them) that justifies removing them from the environment, to do anything less would be amoral.

And no, there is no justification for rape, rape can not prevent harm.

and the irony of you standing by your petty spelling correction, when you literally misspelled the word you prefaced the quote with is fantastic. Thank you for that =D

@Bobby9 Also worth note that the topic wasnt murder, the topic (in this sub thread anyway) is the fluidity of morality.You chose to direct the discussion to murder. I simply opted to take the direction you chose, to correct your mistake, but you gripped harder, clinging to the vain hope you were correct.

I would say I will await your humble acknowledgement of your error, but honestly I doubt you are capable of that level of self awareness, and will either allow cognitive dissonance to convince yourself you are right, or b just block me, but either way.. You failed.

Too funny/ =D

@Bobby9 well ultimately there are people being in goverments or in the various law enforcement agencies ... Laws are pondered by people who have their personal interests at heart. ... You view is very idealistic

@Bobby9 well ultimately there are people being in goverments or in the various law enforcement agencies ... Laws are pondered by people who have their personal interests at heart. ... You view is very idealistic

@Bobby9 I think that your definition of vigilantism is incorrect.

Christ's
Dian Fossey
Buddah
Hindu
Dr. Martin Luther King
Gandhi
Blessed are the peace makers for they shall obtain peace.

Harm none, follow a path of compassion, attempt equanimity

Same one I have followed my whole life...Do your best to be honest...Treat other people with respect & empathy...Religion didn't invent your conscience, the vast majority of people are born with one...Either you want to do what is fair & right for everyone concerned, or you don't...Either you have sympathy for those who are struggling with poverty or addiction, or you don't...Either you want everyone to have a better life, or you want to hoard everything for yourself...I believe that the only thing you leave behind is what you cheerfully gave away, whether material things or support to folks that need it... Heaven or hell has never had anything to do with my treatment of other people...We know right from wrong, and just because it is legal does not mean it is the right thing to do...Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes, but simply treating other people the way you would want to be treated goes a long, long way...Regardless or race or where their grandparents came from...We are all in this together....

Same as before... Treat everyone as you want to be treated and most importantly, do NOT break the law !!!! As you can see, none of those have anything to do with being religious or not

Which law?

@PontifexMarximus the one you have to deal with when you kill someone, or commit fraud, or go over a stop light, or rob a bank, or don't pay your taxes, etc etc etc

@IamNobody many laws lead to immoral outcomes. Laws are stitched up and cobbled together within polities that lack moral foundations. The connection between legal frameworks and morality is rather arbitrary.

@IamNobody Some ethnic communities would never have been able to achieve the alignments of the rights with the prevailing order if the had just respected the laws.
Respecting laws can be immoral. Being law abiding only means a person is obidient and a good follower.
Totalitarian regimes also apply the rule of law for self protection.

@PontifexMarximus you can cut it anyway you like, I am saying you follow the law then you will be fine and you don't any religious beliefs to do so

@IamNobody So laws compelling citizens to denounce others because of their ethnicity or religion or political conviction should be followed?

@PontifexMarximus yes !! Spot on !!

Mine.

EMC2 Level 8 May 18, 2018

Essentially the Golden or, as Libertarians would say, the Non-Aggression Principle.

Simple. Don't harm me or others.

You don't need to be religious to follow a moral code.

Do as little harm as possible, save to those that willingly harm others.

Do no harm, the golden rule, and be kind. I don't have to believe karma is real in order to want to replace it in a positive way.

Deb57 Level 8 June 7, 2018

This question contains the assumption that people with religious propensities use their religion as their moral compass. The original Mafia organisations were probably very much committed to some of the Catholic principals.

Most of the comments seem to focus solely on human to human interaction. My morality include human behaviour towards their environment. I admire vegans.

Your question as it is structured and asked presume that it is surprising that atheists have any moral code whatdoever. I do not think that you intended to imply that. All humans share an instinctual code that directs them how one should act in order to maintain an ordered and healthy world. Morals are essentially the way that humans make sense of the world around them and how they interpret the range if interactions that must occur to operate in any society. It's true thst not everybody operates with an acceptable moral code. Humans as they evolved not only successful ly manipulate their immediate environment, but build filters to shield themselves from their better instincts. It one of the down sides to abstract thinking. Rationalizing is a filtering tool. All societies have similar codes for healthy operation and interaction. Morals are not the sole possession of one group, but a universal action for purposeful and productive interactions.

Simple I believe that one should do unto others as I would want them to do unto me Yes this is quaint and known as the golden rule it is also the only religious saying that is found in one form or another in every known religion around the world which also is the only common thread in all the world’s religions. Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day?

pgaddy Level 3 June 13, 2018

I believe I am a very ethical person and religion wouldn't change that whatsoever.

I use Ayn Rand's definition of good and evil, where good is that which advances life, and evil is that which impedes life. It's amazing how far that will take you.

BTW, it's religious people who have no morals. Ask them to define good and evil and watch what happens. If they say good is "god", then point out that god killed nearly everyone on the Earth, so should we measure our goodness by how many innocent people we have killed?

No matter its actual source the golden rule works. Just treat others the way you want to be treated. simple, effective, but not that easy to accomplish. it requires dedication.

I have very good morals! I don't need some bible thumping idiot to tell me otherwise either, just because I don't need a manual to live by.

I don't think there has to be some omnipotent being sitting on the other end ready to reward or punish me to do what's right. That with some patience emathy and logic, I feel, the "moral" choice is at least easier to see. For Humanity sake try to make the right decision

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.