Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Simple. Do unto others as I would have them do unto me. Doesn't matter to me if the golden rule is rooted in religion. It's a good rule. Covers almost everything in life.

To have fun and not hurt anyone.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, it is a code that has existed since the advent of civilization, unlike many believe the abrahamic religions didn't invent ethics and morals, amerikkka today is all the proof I need that the abrahamic religions are morally bankrupt and ethically challenged.

I never had a religious moral code. I did not need one. Basically, i believe in Live and Let Live.

The basic moral code for me is
Do the least amount of harm(emotional, physical or mental) to others and yourself.
Not the most nuanced of code but it works for me

I like to think of myself as a mirror, I reflect back whatever people give me.

Treat others as you want to be treated

Protect the weak and innocent

Love freely and generously

just be yourself!

Anarchist, the true kind. I do what I do as I believe it right, law is not relevant

I believe in Good. What I think is good... My Moral Compass is Far from Perfect but I reckon is a work in progress until my end.

I think I'm a social animal and it seems morality for me consists in doing only things you can live with doing, things you wouldn't condemn someone else for doing; but many things are debatable. Sometimes you have to or want to do things that violate a social code you've lived with and it can be difficult to gauge whether your reason for doing it supersedes whatever constraints you feel.

all ways treat people respect and try to be there for friends and make new friends every day

I developed my own code, I call it secular humanism. It's nothing extraordinary. Is a set of rules that are taken from religious writings, from philosophy, from ideologies, my own experience and novels like Crime and Punishment, J'accuse, and a few hundred other books. We are not born with a blank slate. We are the same but we are also different.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 27, 2017

I am a consequentialist. That means that I believe actions are good insofar as they increase the wellbeing of conscious creatures. The capacity to feel pain and pleasure are the defining qualities of a conscious creature. So, actions that make people worse off are bad, actions that make people better off are good. Things that make dogs worse off are also bad.

I think it's really quite simple.

Believe in myself. I am the master of my universe. What happens after my life is over is what happens. The speculation can be fun and bring forth interesting conversation but when it becomes a basis of how to live your life out of fear then we have a problem.

I'm a Humanist.

I try to live by the Golden Rule. That seems to be the philosophy of living that makes the most sense to me. Treat all others fairly.

I've learned in my life that religion isn't needed for a moral code, in fact religion is used to commit the worst deeds in human history. So i live my life with love as my religion.

I try to live fully, love wastefully, and be all I can be, as Jesus and others did. (John Shelby Spong, and Bart D. Ehrman)

The Hippocratic oath.

Wavy Level 2 Nov 23, 2017

I hold to universal ethics , plus natural law theory , as expounded by Hugo Grotius .

The same one I followed when religious, love and empathy, care for the least of these, and always look behind the curtain or hassock question everything.

Always try to be fair.

Gray Level 3 Nov 18, 2017

My belief for as long as I can remember, though first stated in the 90's, is that if your belief in an invisible friend is the only thing keeping you from doing something immoral, if you ever start to question that belief, I am more worried about what you will do now. My moral code is internalized, probably best stated by the Wiccan Rede (An it harm none, do what thou wilt) and a character in the Water Babies (Mrs. DoAsYouWouldBeDoneBy). I first put it into words when I was on UseNet, and someone actually said "If you don't believe in god, why don't your just go out and kill people". My code is based on me, period.

I still do not believe in Divorce unless it is in the event of child abuse or spousal abuse. I think you should know who you are marrying before you do it . Though I don't judge people for being divorced things sometimes don't work out and I get that.

I believe in respecting others even if I don't agree with them. Every one had the right to their own misconceptions. If the disagreement is deep enough it's time to cut ties and move on. You can be cordial and not be to friendly.

And I believe in the simplest of simple treat others how you want to be treated.

I would never have an abortion.. I believe firmly in birth control.

One of the biggest things that has changed since I took the major plunge is not to be a hyprocrite.
It's not ok to expect people to live up to your expectations if you don't and live by a separate code of ethics and morals.

Best example of this. (I expect my kids to be good decent law abiding citizens who. Never do anything wrong) all while the said parent looks for reasons why all the other parents are wrong for the way they raise their kids and do things like drink and drive and put their kids at risk. And In the same breath will tell you God will forgive them of their sins..

I left the church long ago- became a pagan because I likes the celebrations and I'm an open atheist where it comes to the idea of any god a man could explain. You don't need god to be moral. All you need is the ability to look at your own life and fix your shit first. Meaning before you point your fingers at my wrongs better fix yours.. I'm aware of all my wrongs. They are mine to make and I have no god to forgive me so I better be careful what I do- cause it's really hard to forgive myself

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.