Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I go with the "don't be an asshole" for starters but I also think I follow a code of willfullness in relationship to how I function within the patriarchal nest of fools in my life. I agree do no harm however I believe much of what we were taught in kindergarten is a good guide especially holding hands when you cross the street.

Simple, do unto others. Sometimes it actually works...

I just be myself.

I know what is right, and I know what is wrong. And I act on that knowledge in the most honest way I can. By the way, I was always non-religious, so, I never needed religion to give me a moral code.

I am ethical and have always found morals equal to false religious claims so I never followed the bigotry and racism of xians in my family or neighborhood

As defined by Wikipedia: Stoicism is predominantly a philosophy of personal ethics informed by its system of logic and its views on the natural world. According to its teachings, as social beings, the path to happiness for humans is found in accepting this moment as it presents itself, by not allowing ourselves to be controlled by our desire for pleasure or our fear of pain, by using our minds to understand the world around us and to do our part in nature's plan, and by working together and treating others fairly and justly.

The Stoics are especially known for teaching that "virtue is the only good" for human beings, and that external things—such as health, wealth, and pleasure—are not good or bad in themselves, but have value as "material for virtue to act upon". Alongside Aristotelian ethics, the Stoic tradition forms one of the major founding approaches to Western virtue ethics.[1] The Stoics also held that certain destructive emotions resulted from errors of judgment, and they believed people should aim to maintain a will (called prohairesis) that is "in accord with nature" (a phrase they interpreted to mean several different things). They thought the best indication of an individual's philosophy was not what a person said, but how a person behaved.[2] To live a good life, one had to understand the rules of the natural order since they taught everything was rooted in nature.

I don't think we should look for moral leadership in doctrine or scripture. If anywhere we should look for a set of morals in our communities and those around us. A set of values that promotes each other and does not set the priority of one over another. Of course this is Utopian and should be seen as a direction of travel.

I think the most popular answer without looking...the Golden Rule. It is not whomever has the gold, rules.

I think the most popular answer without looking...the Golden Rule. It is not whomever has the gold, rules.

Same as always. Start the day in silence, on your own with coffee. The rest of the day then falls into place (sort of) 🙂

I think I have more morals than the majority of religious people. I don't harass or bully anyone, I don't con or steal from anyone. I enjoy creating a smile for someone who doesn't have one. I love my family and friends. I get great satisfaction building something that didn't exist but for my hands. I don't need something after this life as nothingness really is fine as I won't be able to feel anything or be aware of anything. I'll just be happy if I've left a positive mark on the planet really.

Be kind, honest, and fun to be with. Basically the Golden Rule, with a little courtesy thrown in. This is how I raised my children. I read them a book of Bible stories, so they would know the history and cultural literacy. We discussed ways to act, what could have been done better, and being proud of trying something difficult. It's all about being the best YOU that you can be, in my opinion.

Christ's
Dian Fossey
Buddah
Hindu
Dr. Martin Luther King
Gandhi
Blessed are the peace makers for they shall obtain peace.

Harm none, follow a path of compassion, attempt equanimity

Same one I have followed my whole life...Do your best to be honest...Treat other people with respect & empathy...Religion didn't invent your conscience, the vast majority of people are born with one...Either you want to do what is fair & right for everyone concerned, or you don't...Either you have sympathy for those who are struggling with poverty or addiction, or you don't...Either you want everyone to have a better life, or you want to hoard everything for yourself...I believe that the only thing you leave behind is what you cheerfully gave away, whether material things or support to folks that need it... Heaven or hell has never had anything to do with my treatment of other people...We know right from wrong, and just because it is legal does not mean it is the right thing to do...Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes, but simply treating other people the way you would want to be treated goes a long, long way...Regardless or race or where their grandparents came from...We are all in this together....

Mine.

EMC2 Level 8 May 18, 2018

Essentially the Golden or, as Libertarians would say, the Non-Aggression Principle.

Simple. Don't harm me or others.

You don't need to be religious to follow a moral code.

Do as little harm as possible, save to those that willingly harm others.

Do no harm, the golden rule, and be kind. I don't have to believe karma is real in order to want to replace it in a positive way.

Deb57 Level 8 June 7, 2018

This question contains the assumption that people with religious propensities use their religion as their moral compass. The original Mafia organisations were probably very much committed to some of the Catholic principals.

Most of the comments seem to focus solely on human to human interaction. My morality include human behaviour towards their environment. I admire vegans.

Your question as it is structured and asked presume that it is surprising that atheists have any moral code whatdoever. I do not think that you intended to imply that. All humans share an instinctual code that directs them how one should act in order to maintain an ordered and healthy world. Morals are essentially the way that humans make sense of the world around them and how they interpret the range if interactions that must occur to operate in any society. It's true thst not everybody operates with an acceptable moral code. Humans as they evolved not only successful ly manipulate their immediate environment, but build filters to shield themselves from their better instincts. It one of the down sides to abstract thinking. Rationalizing is a filtering tool. All societies have similar codes for healthy operation and interaction. Morals are not the sole possession of one group, but a universal action for purposeful and productive interactions.

Simple I believe that one should do unto others as I would want them to do unto me Yes this is quaint and known as the golden rule it is also the only religious saying that is found in one form or another in every known religion around the world which also is the only common thread in all the world’s religions. Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day?

pgaddy Level 3 June 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.