Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reduce instances of hurting others; attempt to stop others from coming to harm.

"I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein

Wow--awesome!!

"Do unto others..."

For me, the most significant moral code is the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" dictum.

Same one as ever. BE NICE.

Carin Level 8 Aug 14, 2018

We aren stardust. We are golden. BehAve accordingly!

Leave other people the hell alone and hope they'll do the same

These pretty much sum it up for me.

Haven't really found a codified behaviour that sums up all my ideals. But when things are peachy, it doesn't really matter. But when they turn to shit, and they will, it is my endeavour to be a level head and help where best I can. Somewheres I wrote a hierarchy of behaviour. A sort of flow chart that might help you figure out what kind of asshole you're dealing with. Let's see...
It's better to build than to destroy.
It's better to heal than to ignore.
It's better harm than to kill.
It's better to kill than to die.
Something like that. There were more. But those are the essentials.
I stand ready for your critique.

sounds about right to me...

Odd question. I'd hate to be basing my moral values on the xtian book which is full of rape, murders, pedophilia, genocide, bigotry etc.

I do the right things, because it's the right thing to do , not because I might be 'punished ', and I like sleeping well at night, no worries

Basically I choose the option that will do the most good/least harm whenever I need to make a decision. Simplicity is a lovely thing.

What is popularly known as the Wiccan Rede: "An ye harm none, do what thou wilt," which is just a variation on the Golden Rule. Morality needn't be any more complex that that.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 18, 2018

I have been non-religious even as a child when forced to attend Catholic school. I am and honest, ethical, truthful person that respects others and tries to be kind always. It isn't easy.

My moral compass is instinct. Does it feel wrong? Don’t do it. Is it unkind? Don’t do it. Will it cause harm? Don’t do it. My moral compass as nothing to do with legal or religious codes. It’s built in. If I think a law is fucking stupid and my inner compass is not giving me a nudge, then I will do what I want - growing/smoking weed is a good example, or allowing a 17 year old to drink wine with dinner.

Livia Level 6 Aug 25, 2018

Two words: be fair.

This is my bible, torah, qur'an, etc.
Challenging, but I hope it worked and is working
in my life... Mistakes were made, some people got unintentionally hurt, but learning to be human...

I have always had my own personal built in Jimminy Cricket to guide me.

While I don't believe in any of the bible stories, I do think the golden rule is probably the only thing out of it that is any good. Can't see anything wrong with treating others with the same courtesy, kindness, and respect you would want from them.

I think the moral code must be written on our minds because there seems to be a number of people in agreement that we need to be kind and follow the notion of "do no harm". There are a number of people in history who followed their own moral code such as kill others, do harm to those in the way, starve people to death, use gas against those who are not like you... I am not sure if you think one of these moral codes is better than the other since both come from human minds. like to get your opinion on this.

My own. It serves me (and others) well. ?

Same moral code I have always had. Why would it change? I went to church as a child and teenager and never thought my morals were improved by religious teaching.

Arrrgggg...I follow the Pirate's code. Although "the Code is more what you call guidelines, than actual rules." - H. Barbossa

I am not interested in arguing with religious people.

I don't have a moral code. i have ethics. i always had them. i had them while i was being raised as a secular jew, i had them during my religious year, and i have had them since realizing, at the age of 15, that i was an atheist. what does disbelief in gods have to do with moral codes? are people only ethical if an invisible, omnipotent entity tells them (but not by tweet, for some reason) they should be? and which moral code would that be, anyway? there are lots of religions, lots of gods. should i follow zeus' moral code? he was a petulant rapist. how about loki, who wasn't so nice either? i don't need a code book to know right from wrong, and i don't need to be threatened with eternal damnation to care about right and wrong.

g

p.s. regarding "now that you are non-religious": lots of people have always been irreligious. not every atheist used to be religious, those who were may be more ethical now that they're not. i've seen some pretty unethical behavior from self-described christians, i must say!

I try to be a decent human being help others when they are in need of help, don't interfere if they dont, - I collect money for a charity by doing washing and drying in our communal laundry to collect money for age `n.i - If peopel ask me to help I take their advice on how they want a job done even if its alien to me - I sort of abide by the social rules - pleases and thankyou's and all that. I find it easy knowing my community and what it thrives on - I do a lot of gardening and bird feeding I have a partner I don't live with and am on the whole prettty unbothered about my morality as I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings . I have never been religious so I odnt know if that makes any difference.

There seems to be(?) an implication here that being an atheist means rejecting everything religious people believe in. It's not like political parties that both feel that they are obligated to hate everything their opponents like. I have no problem with the later half of the ten commandments but don't need a hard copy of them to remain compliant. If there is a physical "moral code" somewhere it might be interesting to see. I tried to search "moral code" just now and only got a definition for "morality" for which I also have no problem. So is there an assumption that atheists can't tell right from wrong or moral from immoral if we don't reference the Bible for that information?

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 5, 2018

Well put....people generally know "right" from "wrong"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.