Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Scott Clifton put it perfectly, IMO.

I just try to do good things. If is good for me for and the other people envolved, I know that is probably the right thing to do. If don't hurt anybody is valid.

The law of LOVE and The Golden Rule being a universal philosophy that many religions adhere to, but it's not attached to any one particular belief system, is the way to carry that out.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Cause the least amount of harm.

Michael Shermer's code: When making moral choices, choose the option that affordS you the most freedom and pleasure, taking care not to interfere with the freedom and pleasure of others.

Not so much a moral code just how I try to live my life. Be kind. Smile at everyone. Help others. Get others to smile. Help others to feel good about themselves. As for the "law of the land" I am a convicted felon so that obviously isn't working out too well.

Cathy Level 2 Sep 29, 2017

Don't be a jerk.

Love everybody and don't be a dick.

I think Wil Wheaton says it best, don't be a dick! But really, try to leave this place a little better, everyone is equal, love is love and all that jazz! I think it's absurd to think I have to believe in a tale in order to be moral, or that if I screw up and just ask for forgiveness it's ok. That is some flawed logic to me.

Do the right thing and treat all people equal and with respect.

Do unto others

I follow the old "golden rule" until someone does me wrong. Then I tend to follow a different set of rules.

I believe in science and energy. So I believe that you get from the universe, what you put out. If I want good things and a happy life, I need to put that energy out there. That means having empathy and treating others with human decency. It also means believing in equity and equality for every human.

I was taught in AA to take a daily moral inventory and when wrong.....and you better not let your ego get in the way of making a decision on that..that you should admit it and possibly make amends. That way you don't let a lot of garbage build up and it's easier to move on. Were all human and we all make mistakes. Best to learn from others mistakes though.

What goes around comes around.

cool Level 1 Sep 30, 2017

the golden rule is all we need

A moral code based upon mutual respect, compassion and maximum freedom of choice, empathy, compassion, kindness. Far better than the arbitrary, ancient, inane and often insane rules set forth by controlling, oppressive religions

Always try to do the right thing. The right thing is seldom the easy thing...

We HUMANS, help and love each other, without resources(those developed things we're addicted to) we are nothing, and at that moment tiger won't help and understand you, a human do.

Do no harm and help when you can. Very simple. We are not barbarians and we have outgrown the iron age BS of the past.

Speak for yourself. I am definitely a barbarian!

I keep it simple. If something increases or prolongs well being or lessens or eliminates harm then it is good. If something diminishes or ends well being or inflicts or increases harm then it is bad. Obviously, not all things are black and white and pros and cons have to be weighed.

The golden rule "do unto others as you would have done to yourself", I think that's right.

Treat others the way you want to be treated - even though that is a religious tenent, I do not see it as exclusively religious, and I'm not convinced the saying started out that way. As with many things religious, it was commandeered from civilian life and made into a religious thing.

Dee56 Level 2 Oct 1, 2017

I have empathy, virtues, a conscience, the logic of consistency, I don't use dogma to determine right and wrong. Which also means what was once moral or amoral like slavery can be immoral today. But the Golden Rule, the maxim of reciprocity through empathy, is a good description encapsulating it.

What i see logical

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.