Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Freedom unless it impedes another's freedom... For me what falls under this do not kill, pro-euthanasia and pro-choice, anti-war as I have never heard of a vote for a war among citizens. I am also anti-capital punishment. Don't destroy someone's property and so on. I believe in law and 'justice' but am usually relatively good neutral alignment. I follow more on what I think and check rather than anything strictly premade.

@NASTYNEIL Well most politicians get out of that anyway.

There’s no such thing ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 25, 2017

@NASTYNEIL Nope, no ‘code,’ I’ll leave those for the Dexter’s of the world! ..those in need of a concocted and structured list of acceptable and unacceptable behaviors... For me, it feels more like those dreaded and much maligned ‘situational ethics,’ in that, different situations call for different responses. And, I trust my instincts. And, as mentioned, there’s no such thing as a ‘moral code’ … or should that be MORAL CODE 😉

I never was religious and had very strange irreligious parents & extended family - In 1952 I was four years old and could read, I read everything, I found even things I should never have got my hands on so all of my morals come from those books and the classics of childrens' books are morality squared. Real life was quite alien to me . I learned all the politenesses how to stay out of trouble and got all of my morality deepened with each inspiring book that I read . I was mostly reading because i needed to be invisible in a bonky family - because people leave you alone when you are lost in a book. Reality was a lot harder!

I'm sorry. I tried to be invisible as a child,too. Books were the best escape. It all worked out, but it took me a long time to find my voice. I hope you are doing well.

@DevraisA1 I still find arrogant people hard to cope with but live in sheltered accommodation which is a little escape from the world At the moment we have an absolutely dotty scheme co-ordinator who knows zilch about older people and can only talk about her make up her kids her clothes her everythign so its a bit boring when she's around but on the whole its easy to by pass her!

I try to treat and understand other like I would like to be treated and understood.

My morals are the same as when I was a Christian. Morals aren't tied to religion. I live my life and make the best decisions possible for myself and those around me.

Over the years, I'm 70, I have developed a strong sense of empathy and that is my moral compass. I put myself in other people's shoes and think about what they may need and then I see if I can help in any way. I am an atheist and a humanitarian and I feel that helping others when I am able is my moral responsibility. I do it because I know it is the right thing to do and not because I fear hell or am trying to curry favor with some god.

Absolutely to put yourself in someone elses shoes...

Do no harm and help when you can. Very simple. We are not barbarians and we have outgrown the iron age BS of the past.

Speak for yourself. I am definitely a barbarian!

Personally, I mostly use Kant's deontology, with a bit of consequentialism for the things a good deontological approach cannot solve.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 6, 2017

I follow a pretty simple one, "Don't be an asshole." May the administrators forgive this indiscretion, but I had to be honest.

I think that says it perfectly!

I suppose I follow the Judeo-Christian ethic. Do unto others and all that.

Kill your children when they're rude to you. Another "ethic" in the bible. Please don't cherry-pick (I know old habits die hard, so you're forgiven...)

The problem is that people equate morals with religion and think one needs religion to be moral. In my opinion, as I reflect on history and the root cause of war and hateful behavior, religion has in most every case, played a major role. Humans can be caring and kind without buying into the make believe world of a higher power that takes care of everyone who prays hard enough or donates enough money. That is dependent of course on whether or not "He" decides taking care of you is the thing to do. If "He" decides not to protect and care for you, it is for some reason that only He knows. As humans we are just too damn dumb to understand what is best for us.
I digress. Morals are not rooted in religion. For me humanity is defined by behavior wherein the individual respects others and makes every effort to treat others with kindness.

I think of religion as being for controlling people rather than for teaching morals.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Except when they're trying to kill you, perhaps.

I was raised in an atheist household. I never even knew that religion was supposed to be the source of morality until later in life. My family is extremely ethical. It comes with human nature. It has NOTHING to do with religion. Once I started going through the Bible, I discovered that religion is anything but moral. That's when I started losing respect for people who actually believe in and follow the Bible. My cousin-in-law said that she was brought up in an atheist household that was much less ethical; she realized that atheists were much more ethical, when she joined our family.

I just caught a typo in there. My cousin-in-law was brought up in a religious, not atheist, household that was much less ethical than our atheist family.

The Bible has some real gems. The Golden Rule is one of them.

Except when it comes to homosexuals and witches 8)

The moral code of survival: if I treat my neighbor and all others with love and respect, the odds of my survival (emotional, physical psychological) are vastly increased.

Except when those neighbours want to knock you on the head and take your stuff.

I try to be kind to people, animals and the environment.

What does religion have to do with morality, morality existed before religion.

Religion is like the scene with the cat in Red Dwarf walking through the ship spraying everything and saying "that's mine, that's mine, and that's mine" etc.
It diminishes the threadbare mythology if they allow themselves to believe that some things came to be before or independently of their chosen whatever.

Does people need religion to now the difference between right and wrong? Common sense is all a person needs.

"Don't be a dick" generally works for me.

I follow the moral code of the old Germanian tribes. It is not black and white like xfinity, but covers all the gray areas that life gives us. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested.

I am interested; if you can recommend anything I could read, thanks.

I know the right from wrong. It’s a natural instinct . Every body knows by birth. I do wrong but I do not have a imaginary god who I can go for forgiveness. I take responsibility of my own wrong doing and learn.

Thou shall always be honest and faithful and try real hard not to kill anyone.

Yes, I stole that from Carlin.

Atheist 10 commandments

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control of their body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
  9. There is no one right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

I like these ten commandments - they make logical sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

I like the platinum rule: treat others as they want to be treated.

there is ONLY one statement that defines for me
UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
I have heard that the gods practice this however reading their scripture is not supportive
You love all things with no conditions attached, we can address bad behavior but to kill the person is not without conditions

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 29, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.